The AFL has made no apologies for freezing Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs out of Friday night
From: Herald Sun
October 31, 2012 10:00AM
AFL bosses Andrew Demetriou and Gillon McLachlan do not apologise for snubbing lowly Victorian sides from Friday night games.
THE AFL has made no apologies for freezing out lowly Victorian clubs from the Friday night stage next season.
As revealed in the Herald Sun last week, both Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs have been ignored for the prime slot next season.
SEE THE FIXTURE IN FULL: HERE
It impacts on the Demons and Dogs' ability to market their brands, but the league has made it clear Friday nights now have to be earned with sustained on-field performance
The AFL's chief operating officer Gillon McLachlan said it was a policy to have the best product in the best slot.
"Friday night's our biggest night,'' McLachlan said.
In the past, the AFL has been charitable enough to give at least one Friday night game to all Victorian clubs, but McLachlan said: "We've evolved from that''.
McLachlan said the league, which has also decided not to roster GWS, Gold Coast and Port Adelaide in the most watched category, wanted competitive matches.
He said the lower clubs understood.
"They don't want to be out there under lights when they're getting beaten by 15 goals - everyone understands it," McLachlan said.
See the 2013 AFL Fixture in full
The AFL raised the one-side Melbourne v Hawthorn game at the MCG on Friday night last year as an example of a lop-sided contest in a marquee slot.
http://www.news.com.au/sport/AFL/the-af ... 6507227235