Sensational Sydney

Australian Football news and discussion.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Sensational Sydney

Post by Beaussie »

How good was that last quarter comeback by the Swans? Down 32 points in the 3rd quarter it wasn't looking good, but the Swans never gave up.

Whilst the first half was not great footy, that second half was something else. I'm so happy atm. So much for Sam Newman saying the Swans can't travel and the Lions wont be beaten at the Gabba this season. :roll:

A free kick to Big Bad Bustling Barry Hall to seal victory. How sweet was that. It times like tonight that my faith as a footy supporter is restored. :D

Never screamed so much at the TV as I did tonight.

Fuck I love footy.

Cheer, cheer the red and the white.
crocodileman
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by crocodileman »

Beaussie, Sydney are in for a long season if the first three quarters is anything to go by. The flooding tactics employed by Roos is a disgrace to football and will do much to turn supporters away from the game in the harbour city.

Sydney have a good team with some classy players who simply are not suited to the style of play Roos is demanding of them. Sadly for me, Brisbane lost due to inaccurate kicking and going to sleep in quarter 4l, but Sydney will lose more than they win this year based on that performance.

They will struggle to post a winning score week by week and will rely on choking the life out of their opponents by flooding, men around the ball at stoppages and generally negative play.

Congratulations on the win, savour it, but there is a long roud ahead for the Swans this year in my opinion.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

crocodileman wrote:
Beaussie, Sydney are in for a long season if the first three quarters is anything to go by. The flooding tactics employed by Roos is a disgrace to football and will do much to turn supporters away from the game in the harbour city.
I agree it doesn't look pretty but as long as we get a win who really cares. It certainly frustrates other teams. Anyway Brisbane were employing the same tactics with the flood. Can't blame just the Swans.
crocodileman wrote:
Sydney have a good team with some classy players who simply are not suited to the style of play Roos is demanding of them. Sadly for me, Brisbane lost due to inaccurate kicking and going to sleep in quarter 4l, but Sydney will lose more than they win this year based on that performance.
My faith in the team and their abilities has been restored after tonight? To beat the Lions at the Gabba is no easy task. We'll definately be there in September, hopefully we can go all the way this season. As long as we play with the confidence we demonstrated tonight, we can beat any team in the competition. We have a tough few weeks coming up though, particularly our trip west to face the Eagles. Tonight will no doubt give the players the confidence needed to be able to beat anyone. This is going to be an exciting year for Swans fans I think.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

sour grapes wrote:
but Sydney will lose more than they win this year based on that performance.
You're gunna be chewing on these words later croc and it wont be tasty my friend :lol:

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

Tell ya what boys, Croc will put his reputation on Sydney not making the Top 6 teams and if they happen to scrape into the final, will be beaten in the first week.

I'm 80% certain they will miss the Top 8 altogether, but I'm not prepared to stake my reputation on it at this stage. Roos is a fucking clown, playing players out of position and losing the basic element of the game - you got to kick goals to win a game.

Can anyone tell me how Sydney are regularly going to score more than 14 goals a game using flooding tactics? They wouldn't know how. Scores of between 75 - 80 points is going to lose them around 65% of games. Even when they hit the front, they invoke stalling tactics and negative play. Probably in their best interests that they didn't hit the front the other night until after the siren as if it had been 5 minutes earlier they would have tried to close up shop and been beaten. Teams like that CANNOT win the final, let alone play a meaningful role in them.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

crocodileman wrote:
Tell ya what boys, Croc will put his reputation on Sydney not making the Top 6 teams and if they happen to scrape into the final, will be beaten in the first week.
I'm pretty confident the Top 6 will not be a problem.
crocodileman wrote:
I'm 80% certain they will miss the Top 8 altogether, but I'm not prepared to stake my reputation on it at this stage. Roos is a f****** clown, playing players out of position and losing the basic element of the game - you got to kick goals to win a game.
Using that logic, Brisbane don't know how to kick goals to win a game. At many stages during the game the Lions employed the exact same tactics as the Swans.
crocodileman wrote:
Can anyone tell me how Sydney are regularly going to score more than 14 goals a game using flooding tactics? They wouldn't know how. Scores of between 75 - 80 points is going to lose them around 65% of games. Even when they hit the front, they invoke stalling tactics and negative play. Probably in their best interests that they didn't hit the front the other night until after the siren as if it had been 5 minutes earlier they would have tried to close up shop and been beaten. Teams like that CANNOT win the final, let alone play a meaningful role in them.
Why is it that every football fan and commentator seems to only label the Swans as serial flooders and an ugly team to watch?

Watch any game on any weekend and you'll see all teams employing the same tactic at different stages of a game. Sure it can be frustrating to watch and I know it doesn't look pretty, but hey if it means your team wins then so be it. There needs to be a balance I think to consistently win I'll admit. However, when playing the likes of the Lions, such tactics are needed to shut down their game plan. As we saw on the weekend it worked in not allowing the Lions to run off with the game.

Must admit though, I think if we didn't play an attacking style of football in the second half, particularly the last quarter we wouldn't have won the game. That said, there are so many different facets of the game today. Sure the Swans do employ the flood alot, but hey when they attack they can be a very exciting team to watch in action. At the end of the day Sydney got the 4 points and I just think you're bitter Croc that the Lions, who everyone tipped to win were actually beaten. That is not uncommon too with the Swans having a great record against the Lions. We seem to really frustrate the Brisbane team. Oh well we won and got the 4 points. At the end of the day that's all that matters. :P
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

Like I've said, Beaussie, time will tell who's right!

Let's just see in about 10-12 rounds where they are on the ladder.
Grim Reaper
Coach
Coach
Team:

Post by Grim Reaper »

There is a team I have heard about called Port Adelaide that has a habit of fucking up any planned Ca Swannie sing songs!
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Grim Reaper wrote:
There is a team I have heard about called Port Adelaide that has a habit of f****** up any planned Ca Swannie sing songs!
What that same Port Adealide that were humiliated in a home final against the Swans. The same Port Adelaide that was booed off the field by the half filled stadium crowd. :roll:
crocodileman

Re: Sensational Sydney

Post by crocodileman »

Beaussie wrote:
f*** I love footy.
Dare I say that you love it decidely less this week Beaussie? :lol: :lol:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

crocodileman wrote:
Beaussie wrote:
f*** I love footy.
The highs and lows of following a footy team. :cry:

Today was just downright depressing. Basic skill errors really hurt us today. Swans only have themselves to blame for losing today. Hopefully we can get back on track next week. Confidence would have taken a battering today too. :(
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

Beaussie wrote:
crocodileman wrote:
Beaussie wrote:
f*** I love footy.
The highs and lows of following a footy team. :cry:

Today was just downright depressing. Basic skill errors really hurt us today. Swans only have themselves to blame for losing today. Hopefully we can get back on track next week. Confidence would have taken a battering today too. :(
Fuck, are you in denial? Basic skills errors? What about the inability to kick more than 11 goals - it happens week in, week out to them. They play negative footy thanks to Roos and quite simply skill errors had nothing to do with it. The crows should have won by 12 goals or more - you're lucky to get that close.

Footy is about kicking goals - if you can't kick a winning score, you can't win!

Gidday KE! :lol:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

The inability to kick more goals is certainly a worry, however if you can't even get the ball to your forwards because of stupid turnovers then you're never going to kick more goals anyway. Sometimes I really hate being a footy fan. It so depressing to watch your team just give up or do stupid things that end up resulting in goals for the opposition. Can't stand losing at home either. Oh how I wish for the old days of the SCG fortress where the Swans were virtually unbeatable.
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

[quote="BeaussieI'm pretty confident the Top 6 will not be a problem.[/quote]

Still reckon it was only the top 8 you said Sydney would make Beaussie?
Grim Reaper
Coach
Coach
Team:

Post by Grim Reaper »

Watching Sydney play is akin to Gweggy doing his best to sound smart.