Lehmann's Last Chance

Whether it be cricket, golf, basketball, tennis, boxing or any other sport - this is the place for you.
crocodileman
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Lehmann's Last Chance

Post by crocodileman »

I believe the Adelaide Test may be Lehmann's last - his form is down, his mental state is questionable (Hookes Committal, Book Launch, Comments on Mckay and its controversy) and now that the pressure is off due to our crushing win over NZ the selectors may pull out the axe.

Hohns and the selectors may be about to pull the pin on his international career and either give Katich another chance or possibly a test debut to a 'smokey!'
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

I think Katich is set for Lehmann's position, and its quite possible Adelaide may be his last Test. What better way than to go out a winner on home soil in Adelaide with a Test century perhaps?

Now is the time to bring in the next generation into the Test side while the experienced players are still there and we are still winning.

Most of the side are getting on 30-34 years of age, and we need to start developing a winning culture in the next generation of Test players and blood them alongside the current group.

I hope we dont get to the stage where we get a sudden run of retirements in quick time and basically have to go through a big rebuilding phase.
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
I think Katich is set for Lehmann's position, and its quite possible Adelaide may be his last Test. What better way than to go out a winner on home soil in Adelaide with a Test century perhaps?

Now is the time to bring in the next generation into the Test side while the experienced players are still there and we are still winning.

Most of the side are getting on 30-34 years of age, and we need to start developing a winning culture in the next generation of Test players and blood them alongside the current group.

I hope we dont get to the stage where we get a sudden run of retirements in quick time and basically have to go through a big rebuilding phase.
I totally agree. Tonight onthe ABC at 9.30pm (I think) is the second part of that documentary about Cricket in the 1980's. In part, it looks at the fallout in Australian cricket after the retirement of Lillee, Marsh and Greg Chappell at the same time. The results were devastating for us and I believe that the selectors have learned some lessons from this.

Question is, who would you blood?
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

Well then let's take a look at some ages here.

Hayden: 33

Langer: 34

Ponting: 30

Martyn: 33

Lehmann: 34

Clarke: 23

Gilchrist: 33

Warne: 35

Gillespie: 29

Kasprowicz: 32

McGrath: 34

Now that is an average age of.............32 :shock: :shock:

Only TWO are under 30. Clarke (23) and Gillespie (29).

The problem here is that there is no blend of youth and experience. It's been such a successful team over the years, so there hasnt been the need for massive changes. The time will come when these blokes have to retire, and seeing as they are all around the same age, it'll all (in theory) happen within a 2 maybe 3 season period. They'll all be gone.

Right now is the time to start to bring in the next generation.

Clarke is there, and hes a great find.

Blokes like Tait (Fast bowler from SA), Lee, Williams and Hauritz (QLD off-spinner) are the future of our bowling IMHO, with Tait the only one to have not played Test cricket.

As for our batting stocks im not sure. Any suggestions for a future opening combination post Langer/Hayden?

Formerly Uppy80
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

To be honest I was just thinking about that on Saturday and I couldn't come up with anyone.

Despite what we have both said, I believe it's not necessarily a crisis and that our era of success won't necessarily come to an end, even if all the retirements come virtually on top of each other.

This is because:-

(a) Our Pura Cup competition is of extremely high quality, so the step up in class is not as relevant. There are many first class cricketers who are talented enough to represent Australia in tests and could virtually almost be expected to perform as soon as they play for Australia (Clarke and Hauritz's exploits in India attests to this!)

The only major adjustments would be to conditions in countries they play in.

(b) There is no reason why some of the current old players can't play on well into their late 30's or even early 40's. We are talking about superb athletes who nowdays have the benefits of physios, psychologists, dieticians and doctors on demand, unlike bygone days. The trend in many sports in recent times has been to play on or compete until later (swimming and baseball are 2 examples - also Denis Rodman is only 1 step away from a NBA recall at age 45!)

(c) The personal motivations for some of these players are added inducements to play on successfully. Why would Warnie retire when he wants to stay in front of Murali for as long as possible? McGrath is about to hit 500+ wickets and become the greatest fast bowler in memory. Gilly wants to hang around as long as possible so he can abuse those batsmen who refuse to walk! :lol: Kasprowicz/Langer has experienced being on the outer and will want to bask in the sunshine for as long as possible.

Most are on sizeable financial incentives to stay on and perform, money they probably couldn't make when they leave cricket. Sure, some will score Channel 9 commentary jobs, but for most it's back to average incomes for the rest of their working lives.

So, while the need to replace these players needs to be addressed - it may not be as urgent as some suggest. When's the next ashes tour - they'll all hang on until at least then to smash the poms, one more time!
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

Agreed crocodileman, some good points there that are quite true.

Not saying this is how it'll pan out, but i'll just have a muck around with the line-up and exclude anyone at the age of 31 or over and see what sort of team that can be put together with a younger group of players.

Here's what i've come up with so far, with a few spaces to filled:

2. North
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
6. Thornley
7. Haddin
8. Lee
9. Gillespie
10. Tait
11. Hauritz

12. Williams
Last edited by Dizzys_on_fire on Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Formerly Uppy80
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
Agreed crocodileman, some good points there that are quite true.

Not saying this is how it'll pan out, but i'll just have a muck around with the line-up and exclude anyone at the age of 31 or over and see what sort of team that can be put together with a younger group of players.

Here's what i've come up with so far, with a few spaces to filled:

2. North
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
7. Haddin
8. Lee
9. Gillespie
10. Tait
11. Hauritz

12. Williams
A few to add to that list.

1. Birt (Tasmania) - just scored 145 in an ING Cup game yesterday when opening against South Australia.

5. Thornley (NSW)

I'll have a think about the others.
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

Thornley, thats who I missed.

All-rounder yeah?

It'd be handy to have a 'genuine' all-rounder in the side, something we've lacked for a while on the Test scene (not that we've really needed one :lol: )

Formerly Uppy80
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

Dizzys_on_fire wrote:

All-rounder yeah?

It'd be handy to have a 'genuine' all-rounder in the side, something we've lacked for a while on the Test scene (not that we've really needed one :lol: )
I do rate him, too. What about Rogers from WA for the team. I think he opens, but I believe he has played at 5 or 6. In sparkling form at the moment!
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

crocodileman wrote:
Dizzys_on_fire wrote:

All-rounder yeah?

I do rate him, too. What about Rogers from WA for the team. I think he opens, but I believe he has played at 5 or 6. In sparkling form at the moment!
I've seen him a few ING Cup matches but havent followed his performances closely. Would you class him as a typical opener or would he be suited down the order, particulary if he was to play at Test level some day?

Formerly Uppy80
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

In all honesty, Rogers is probably more of an opener than a number 6, but he has the ability to score quickly and effectively all round the ground - qualities a number 6 should have.

I think he got 90 something in the Pura Cup match currently being played against Qld - so the longer version of the game would be suitable.
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

I thought I heard on the news that Darren Lehmann has stated that he won't be retiring after the Adelaide Test. Can anyone else confirm this?

Looks like that theory has been blown away, and his place in the side is secure for now.

I wonder if the selectors had a little word to him about his situation and a plan for the future of his career?

Formerly Uppy80
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
I thought I heard on the news that Darren Lehmann has stated that he won't be retiring after the Adelaide Test. Can anyone else confirm this?

Looks like that theory has been blown away, and his place in the side is secure for now.

I wonder if the selectors had a little word to him about his situation and a plan for the future of his career?
From his perspective he is being hard done by. He has a test average of over 50 and has just had a vote of confidence by the selectors who chose him ahead of Katich for the Gabba Test.

But if you scratch a little below the surface, you will see he is under pressure to retain his spot, and this statement he made may be an attempt by him to quell rumours or even a good poker bluff. But it may backfire because:-

(a) Lehmann is clearly injury prone and his fitness/viability to cope with the rigors of the game is now directly put in question;
(b) He is sadely out of form at the moment. His last 10 test innings would have netted him barely 200 runs.
(c) He is creating a bit of bad publicity for Cricket Australia at the moment with his comments about Australian legends in his book and his presence in the Hookes committal proceedings. It doesn't look good which ever way you look at it.
(d) His age coupled with the factors above.

Dizi/Uppy- I've heard nothing but I still have a feeling this test may be his last.
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

Interesting. And I spose, given the points you've listed, that surely he'd consider retirement while he's still going "reasonably" well, and infront of his home crowd. Everything points to a fairy-tail ending to his Test career which he so rightly deserves.

I remember hearing on the coverage the other day, a quote from Chapelli:

"As soon as you start thinking of retirement, you are retired".

Formerly Uppy80
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

I'm sure he has at least considered retirement. Picture Lehmann hitting the winning runs in Adelaide which also brings up his 100 and Australia win by just 1 wicket. He wins MOTM and is chaired off the ground. At the post match press conference he announces his retirement with tears of joy.

Wouldn't that be something they'd remember!