Swans Heading for lowest Average attendance in a decade

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach
Team: Canberra
Been liked: 0

Swans Heading for lowest Average attendance in a decade

Post by Raiderdave »

the Swans are heading for their lowest ever crowd at ANZ , lower then the record set in the 2nd round against Essendon in April & are heading for their lowest average attendance since 2002
And this is allowing for them still being in contention for the finals :?

my my .... this on top of the Crows , Port ... the Eagles ... Dockers.. Lions , the Suns very average reception on the GC in comparison to the Titans first year

it seems the only place boggerball isn't stinking up the joint is Victoria
& we all know theres something massively wrong with that lot :wink:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6117017064

THE Sydney Swans are facing up to $500,000 ticketing revenue shortfall in 2011 because of a massive 15 per cent drop in crowds - leading the club to their worst average attendances in almost a decade.

Sydney's average home crowd in 2011 is 26,669, which is only marginally stronger than their 26,614 figure in 2002 and the first time in nine years the Swans have dipped below the 30,000 mark.

With almost 4000 fewer fans per game this year the Swans are counting the cost of a year of indifferent form, a poor home record and some horrendous Sydney weather.

With more rain forecast ahead of Sunday's St Kilda clash at ANZ Stadium the Swans are cursing their luck which has seen them suffer through the wettest July in more than 60 years, two blockbuster washouts and a clash with the royal wedding.

Swans CEO Andrew Ireland said the low crowds were not such a financial nightmare given pre-sales were usually strong and many empty seats belonged to paid ticketed members.

"It is just one of those years and it's driving everyone nuts," said Ireland.

"The part that is probably most galling is that sales early in the season were really strong and in fact we got very close to budget in our sales even though it was wet.

"It was more what it might have been had it not rained.

"The Carlton game we think we would have nearly sold out had it not rained.

"We don't think those people are lost to us."

Sydney's last SCG game against Western Bulldogs was the lowest attended game at the stadium since 2002.

Two Sunday afternoon games have been tested at ANZ Stadium in 2011 but the first instalment, against Essendon in round two, produced the worst regular season crowd at the Olympic venue, with 28,082 fans.While poor weather can help explain the 15 per cent drop in crowds, there is no logical reason behind Sydney's small drop in ticketed membership from 28,671 in 2010 to just 27,106 in 2011.

Sydney were one of seven AFL clubs to record a membership drop this year, which must be concerning to all involved in the game ahead of the GWS arrival next season.

So the question must be asked: Are Sydney's just fair- weather football fans?
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

Some very alarming figures.
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Yes very alarming! I guess we have had the bad weather but I spose this indicates that if the swannies fans dont turn up in the poor weather, then they're not really a passionate bunch as Beaussie seems to suggest day in day out...

I think my interpretation of the Swans crowd fits better --- Yelling out calls like "comon ref!" --- not really understanding the rules, skills and structure of the game --- and just sipping on chardonnay all the while

Believe me, I've been with these clowns plenty of times!

Of course this isn't the way for all supporters, Beaussie knows his stuff and a few others at the ground seem to too. But it is a worry for the Swans...

You got any action plan ideas or anything like that Beaussie? There's obviously some issues. Or will you rampage on about RL and suggest our poor swannies are fine? :lol:

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Re: Swans Heading for lowest Average attendance in a decade

Post by Beaussie »

Raiderdave wrote:
the Swans are heading for their lowest ever crowd at ANZ , lower then the record set in the 2nd round against Essendon in April & are heading for their lowest average attendance since 2002
The poor home form of the Swans and the terrible weather in Sydney this season has reduced attendances. Surprise, surprise. :roll:

Nothing major though as pre match ticket sales are still steady and strong. This is the only part of the article worth noting.

With almost 4000 fewer fans per game this year the Swans are counting the cost of a year of indifferent form, a poor home record and some horrendous Sydney weather.

With more rain forecast ahead of Sunday's St Kilda clash at ANZ Stadium the Swans are cursing their luck which has seen them suffer through the wettest July in more than 60 years, two blockbuster washouts and a clash with the royal wedding.

Swans CEO Andrew Ireland said the low crowds were not such a financial nightmare given pre-sales were usually strong and many empty seats belonged to paid ticketed members.
Raiderdave wrote:
my my .... this on top of the Crows , Port ... the Eagles ... Dockers.. Lions , the Suns very average reception on the GC in comparison to the Titans first year
Good grief, why must you lie all the time? The Eagles and Dockers have sellout crowds every week in Perth and have a waiting list for memberships. As for the Suns, the Gold Coast is now AFL heartland and the arrival of AFL/Suns has cause all sorts of financial headaches for the NRL/Titans. So bad in fact is the situation for the NRL/Titans on the Gold Coast, the Titans have resorted to inflating crowd numbers by thousands each and every week. Desperate for relevance comes to mind.
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Re: Swans Heading for lowest Average attendance in a decade

Post by Raiderdave »

Beaussie wrote:
Raiderdave wrote:
The poor home form of the Swans and the terrible weather in Sydney this season has reduced attendances. Surprise, surprise. :roll:

Nothing major though as pre match ticket sales are still steady and strong. This is the only part of the article worth noting.

Raiderdave wrote:
Good grief, why must you lie all the time? The Eagles and Dockers have sellout crowds every week in Perth and have a waiting list for memberships. As for the Suns, the Gold Coast is now AFL heartland and the arrival of AFL/Suns has cause all sorts of financial headaches for the NRL/Titans. So bad in fact is the situation for the NRL/Titans on the Gold Coast, the Titans have resorted to inflating crowd numbers by thousands each and every week. Desperate for relevance comes to mind.
WCE & Freo crowds are both down despite a great season for the first & an Okayish season for the 2nd
their members aren't even interested in turning up :?

the Suns have been a major disapointment
crowds 3K less on average a game then the Titans got in their First year .. & the Titans didn't have a brand new stadium to play in ... these crowds for the Suns to plummet in the coming seasons

this on top of the interest in the Swans not just waning ... but vanishing
the Lions .. well umm, the less said about this lot the better.... & AFL in SA in a shocking state
warms the cockels :wink: of the heart it does
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

You're ******** Raider. West Coast and Fremantle have massive crowds week after week and a massive waiting list for members.

Back on topic, you saying interest in the Swans is not just waning but vanishing... yet more fans were at ANZ Stadium in the rain yesterday to see what has been a disappointing Swans team this season, than at AAMI Park the other night for the top of table Melbourne Storm vs last year's premiers in the NRL. Hmm, I know which crowd figure I would prefer. Why wont Victorians support Rugby League? It's the product on display I tell ya.
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Beaussie wrote:
You're ******** Raider. West Coast and Fremantle have massive crowds week after week and a massive waiting list for members.

Back on topic, you saying interest in the Swans is not just waning but vanishing... yet more fans were at ANZ Stadium in the rain yesterday to see what has been a disappointing Swans team this season, than at AAMI Park the other night for the top of table Melbourne Storm vs last year's premiers in the NRL. Hmm, I know which crowd figure I would prefer. Why wont Victorians support Rugby League? It's the product on display I tell ya.
more fans .. :?

900 more ... in a stadium with 53K more seats 8-[

the Swans drew 64K against St Kiddlefiddle in 2007 at the same venue
39K more then Yesterday :?>

tell me , where'd all these feebleball fans go :-k

Dare I say it ... It seems they've

Vanished :wink: :_<> :(/ :_<> :(/
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Fact remains, AFL is more popular in Sydney than NRL is in Melbourne. Even News Ltd buying premierships for the Storm and having them in the Finals/Grand Final every year wont change that. How pathetic that the so called match of the year between the top of the table Storm and last years premiers can only draw 24k. Major embarrassment.
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Beaussie wrote:
Fact remains, AFL is more popular in Sydney than NRL is in Melbourne. Even News Ltd buying premierships for the Storm and having them in the Finals/Grand Final every year wont change that. How pathetic that the so called match of the year between the top of the table Storm and last years premiers can only draw 24k. Major embarrassment.
this in the last few years has gone from easily
to ah .. umm barely 8-[

in a few years time
it won't be the case :wink:

Swans are .. ggooooonnnnnnneeeeeeeee :wink:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Raiderdave wrote:
Beaussie wrote:
to ah .. umm barely 8-[

in a few years time

And you throwball fans have the hide to call us AFL fans delusional. Wake up for crying out loud sunshine. #-o
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Beaussie wrote:
Raiderdave wrote:
Beaussie wrote:
to ah .. umm barely 8-[

in a few years time

And you throwball fans have the hide to call us AFL fans delusional. Wake up for crying out loud sunshine. #-o
Swans fans vanishing ... & don't say they are not
Storm fans emerging & also .... don't say they are not

both of the above statements are entirely true

its your wishful thinking not facts that are saying otherwise :wink:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Hahaha, Storm got a bigger crowd last season when they offered tickets for $1. Hey there's a proven idea of getting a sellout at AAMI Park. Hop to it NRL/Storm. :(/
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Beaussie wrote:
Hahaha, Storm got a bigger crowd last season when they offered tickets for $1. Hey there's a proven idea of getting a sellout at AAMI Park. Hop to it NRL/Storm. :(/
they actually didn't
Fridays crowd was the biggest at AAMI for a storm game

hence the term.... " Record " :? :roll:

all paid up of course
great to see .... a few big finals to come too & probably a Grand Final appearance

wow what a massive month is coming up for the Mighty Storm :wink:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Raiderdave wrote:
Beaussie wrote:
they actually didn't
Oh dear, are you serious... 24k a record crowd for the top of table Storm against last year's premiers in sports mad Melbourne. Shame job. :(/
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Beaussie wrote:
Raiderdave wrote:
Beaussie wrote:
they actually didn't
Oh dear, are you serious... 24k a record crowd for the top of table Storm against last year's premiers in sports mad Melbourne. Shame job. :(/

& they're getting madder about the Storm each week
crowds bursting above where they were earlier in the season

the 24K will be beaten in the first final
& if the Storm win that .... well they're going to have to break out Etihad for the prelim final .... as AAMI won't be big enough

meanwhile
the swans will be estatic if they can just maybe .... hopefully ..... fingies crossed
ah....half fill.... the SCG in a few weeks time 8-[
please please pretty please

my my how things have changed :wink: