Bris Lions at Deaths Door

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
214Four
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Wests Tigers - Balmain - Western Sydney Wanderers
Been liked: 0

Re: Bris Lions at Deaths Door

Post by 214Four »

I remember making a post a little while back on how i believed SE QLD (Brisbane and Gold Coast) did not have a large enough popuation (in terms of 'actual' AFL interest) to warrent two AFL clubs and that the Suns will just canabalise a significant proportion of lions support, which all i could see was either one team would become unsuccessful and fold or one team will only survive due to AFL funds keeping it alive and the other be somewhat successfull. It seems like that is happening now, and it looks as though the goldcoast is the better location of an AFL team than brisbane.

Now i know crapperbot will go on about how brisbane and gold coast has a population of just under 3 million people and how both adelaide and perth have less than this with two teams doing ok.... but what crappers spambot file not read/compute is that QLD and NSW are AFL expansion markets where the game has little over a niche following at best and support is heavily dependant on ex-pat southerners (and im talking about actual full support not partial or occassional support) and to put two new teams in a market place like that all these teams will do is pull away support, media attention etc from the two origionial clubs.

And so it happened that the poor Lions who are the origional expansion club into SEQ just happened to have dire financial issues and were struggling to generate interest in the market at the wrong time. Because even though there was alarm bells sounding at the lions, the AFL thought it was the perfect time to introduce the suns into the same market. i believe were only introduced to be a rival to RL as some AFL thorn in that codes side, as it was clearly not the right time for the AFL to introduce the suns while the lions were struggleing, but ultimately it became a large rival of the lions and a growing thorn for the AFLs reputation and funds . The suns arrival has helped push the lions other off the cliff to oblivion...

Look at the sydney market it now has two AFL teams, one team the swans has been here for over 30 years and still they struggle to generate significant interest in the city (unless the swans are on their way to a grand final etc), the swans after all this time still have no more than a niche following in Sydney, then the AFL believed the time was right to bring in another club GWS (who basically have been nothing less than an absolute embarrassment for the code). But since their introduction general interest in AFL has stayed the same, TV audiences have stayed the same (so interest has not increased). its just now that the niche AFL supporter base in sydney is now spread amoungst two clubs but lucklily for the AFL the introduction of GWS into sydney has not affected the swans as bad as what the suns have done to the lions because;
1. sydneys metro popultion (being about 4.7 million pp)
2. Swans were sitting in a better financial situation.

AFL has been in the northern states for over 100 years, Swans have been in Sydney for over 30 years, the bears moved up to brisbane in the 90s and still with all this time the AFL has spent trying to grow the game up here the truth is interest in the expansion markets is small/meagre, really this is ok as its the codes 'expansion markets' and to expect more than a niche would be just arrogant. but then coff the AFL decides putting another club in both these markets and i think this has done no other than caused major issues to the pre-existing clubs (swans, lions).

The Lions have been hurt alot more than the what the swans have. But this could largely be due to how poorly GWS have intergreted itself into the sydney landscape. GWS on a whole have been rejected by sydney but perhaps if GWS were more successful like the suns were at getting community approval and respect then we could of seen more interest flow away from the swans to the giants and a more noticeable negative effect than what we see now.

Overall interest in AFL in the expansion markets can be truthfully described as low and untill there is significant increase in interest in AFL here, its just unrealisistic to believe these markets are going to be big enough to help keep all 4 clubs afloat by themself. The expansion markets are currently both over staturated due to the small interest and only Large AFL Handouts to most if not all 4 clubs will keep them successful/afloat, without it the weaker clubs in those markets fall on their sword eventually leaving one team in each market again, i cant see that happening because the AFL are too proud to admit dfeat so i see decades of money thrown at liabilities...
Last edited by 214Four on Fri May 09, 2014 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Wearing tight shorts is a bootable offense!"
NRLCrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB

Post by NRLCrap1 »

The_Wookie wrote:
NRLCrap1 wrote:
No Bombers, goose, because the AFL have trademarked that name!
Theres nothing to prevent the NRL nor any other competition from using the Bombers moniker. The trademark applies to the logo and shield designs in the image you linked. The AFL and Essendon COULD lodge an objection to the registration of a name, but would be unlikely to get anywhere given the historical precedents already set by teams such as Balmain/Richmond Tigers, Western Suburbs/Collingwood Magpies, Cantebury-Bankstown/Footscray (Western) Bulldogs, North Sydney/Brisbane Bears etc etc
The screenie that TLPG provided shows that it's the WORD "Bombers" that is trademarked by the AFL and by Essendon, goose!! Those examples you gave go back to a time when it didn't matter so much. Now it does and big time!
DON'T MAKE ANY BETS WITH ELIAGH!! HE WELCHES WHEN HE LOSES!!
DAVE'S RIVER IN EGYPT - JUNIOR ACT TEAMS: AFL 109 RL 107
CHEWBACCA IS A GOOSE! A GOOSE I TELL YOU! A GOOSE!
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

NRLCrap1 wrote:
The_Wookie wrote:
NRLCrap1 wrote:
No Bombers, goose, because the AFL have trademarked that name!
Theres nothing to prevent the NRL nor any other competition from using the Bombers moniker. The trademark applies to the logo and shield designs in the image you linked. The AFL and Essendon COULD lodge an objection to the registration of a name, but would be unlikely to get anywhere given the historical precedents already set by teams such as Balmain/Richmond Tigers, Western Suburbs/Collingwood Magpies, Cantebury-Bankstown/Footscray (Western) Bulldogs, North Sydney/Brisbane Bears etc etc
The screenie that TLPG provided shows that it's the WORD "Bombers" that is trademarked by the AFL and by Essendon, goose!! Those examples you gave go back to a time when it didn't matter so much. Now it does and big time!
Lapdog Spambot.
Yip yip .
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
Cracker
Coach
Coach
Team: Bulldogs

Post by Cracker »

Whilst it is so that intellectual property is a much bigger issue now than it was certainly when Canterbury and Footscray first took the Bulldogs moniker, I truly believe that "Brisbane Bombers" is safe.
leagueiscrap
Banned
Team: Essendon
Been liked: 7 times

Post by leagueiscrap »

Cracker wrote:
Whilst it is so that intellectual property is a much bigger issue now than it was certainly when Canterbury and Footscray first took the Bulldogs moniker, I truly believe that "Brisbane Bombers" is safe.
it would be interesting is they did share similar logos and names as "the bombers", if they ever did anything in conjunction with each other, to grow each other's popularity in their own states
Australian sporting sponsorship
AFL excess of $50m
A league $30 million plus
ARU $27 million
NRLOL $25 million

Leagueiscrap
and she still changes your nappies as well!
pusseycat replys
Only when I have an accident.
Cracker
Coach
Coach

Post by Cracker »

Do you really think that co-operation is possible across two codes? Unless I am mistaken, Nathan Tinkler tried that with the Knights and the Jets and it didn't help either club. And that was with two codes that could share the same venue properly. It would be worse with Aussie Rules. Competing is better for both that co-operating in my opinion.
Cracker
Coach
Coach

Post by Cracker »

What happened to the NSL club though? The Rebels are struggling. I don't count training because that's a convenience matter outside the lines of competition as such.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

A healthy crowd of 26k for the Lions vs Bombers on the weekend is very encouraging. Well done Lions fans.
NRLCrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB

Post by NRLCrap1 »

leagueiscrap wrote:
Cracker wrote:
it would be interesting is they did share similar logos and names as "the bombers", if they ever did anything in conjunction with each other, to grow each other's popularity in their own states
They can't! The logo is registered and can't be used by anyone else! The name is also registered and the AFL will challenge any application! Have the new NRL club even applied yet?
DON'T MAKE ANY BETS WITH ELIAGH!! HE WELCHES WHEN HE LOSES!!
DAVE'S RIVER IN EGYPT - JUNIOR ACT TEAMS: AFL 109 RL 107
CHEWBACCA IS A GOOSE! A GOOSE I TELL YOU! A GOOSE!
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach
Team: Canberra

Post by Raiderdave »

Beaussie wrote:
A healthy crowd of 26k for the Lions vs Bombers on the weekend is very encouraging. Well done Lions fans.
yes
that crowd would suffice as a census for ex pat sthn dingbats living in Brisbane quite nicely :wink:
RL SOO II 4.194 Million veiwers
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
VFL Grand Final 3.620 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million
Kangaroos V NZ 1.214 Million

Sookerwhos V Japan 238K :lol:
leagueiscrap
Banned

Post by leagueiscrap »

Beaussie wrote:
it was a good effort, considering they are sitting the bottom of the ladder.
more than what the broncos and cocksucking cowboys got for the local derby, 21k
:lol:
AFL excess of $50m
ARU $27 million
NRLOL $25 million

Leagueiscrap
pusseycat replys
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach
Team: Canberra

Post by Raiderdave »

leagueiscrap wrote:
Beaussie wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :(/ :(/ :(/ :_<> :_<> :_<> :_<>

Townsvilles population is 170K
Brisbanes is 2.1 Million

seriously Adumb Liar
you haven't gotten any smarter since you ran away scared from the mean leaguies have you :lol: :lol: :lol: :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :_<> :_<> :_<> :_<> :_<> :_<> :_<>
RL SOO II 4.194 Million veiwers
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
VFL Grand Final 3.620 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million
Kangaroos V NZ 1.214 Million

Sookerwhos V Japan 238K :lol:
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

leagueiscrap wrote:
Beaussie wrote:
No matter what name you use ,you are dumber than dogshit.

Tell me Adumb..What was the crowed when Bris Played Cowboys in Brissy .

What was the size of the last AFL crowd in Townsville?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
Cracker
Coach
Coach

Post by Cracker »

Just a moment. What proof do either of you have that Leagueiscrap is the same person as Adamj1300?
leagueiscrap
Banned

Post by leagueiscrap »

AFLcrap1 wrote:
leagueiscrap wrote:
Beaussie wrote:
No matter what name you use ,you are dumber than dogshit.

Tell me Adumb..What was the crowed when Bris Played Cowboys in Brissy .

What was the size of the last AFL crowd in Townsville?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
still far smarter than you :)))

a home derby, up in north qld, against the broncos the NRL biggest club NRL heartland. only got 21k. but that is a good crowd the NRL, got out drawn by a essendon a team middle of the ladder and the lions sitting bottom of the ladder, in nrl heartland :lol:
nrl dying :(/
AFL excess of $50m
ARU $27 million
NRLOL $25 million

Leagueiscrap
pusseycat replys