State of Origin in the AFL

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Scorger Man
Reserves
Reserves
Team: Richmond Tigers
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

State of Origin in the AFL

Post by Scorger Man »

Do they still have Victoria v South Australia v Western Australia etc. or has that died in the arse in the AFL? If it does still exist, it doesn't seem to be as big as the State of Origin in the Rugby League or the Super 12s when NSW, QLD or the ACT come up against each other. Actually I think that the AFL gets it's fancy tickled only when they have local derbys to keep the tradition of in house fighting alive and well.

Also on another point in regards to the State of Origin in the AFL, if the Sydney Swans have been playing in Sydney since 1981, wouldn't one assume that if AFL is as popular in Sydney as Syney Swans fans claim it to be, then there should be enough AFL players from NSW by now to have a NSW team.

I mean seriously, Tasmania has/had a team in the State v State competition and they don't even have a team in the AFL!
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Yes some very fair points there scorger. AFL will never be the number one sport in sydney, the tradition and passion for league is too deep. Its growing in the state and good on it but league will always be number one. Dont you reckon beaussie :wink:

And yep tassie deserves a team in my opinion. Tassie, then Darwin.

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Re: State of Origin in the AFL

Post by Beaussie »

Scorger Man wrote:
Do they still have Victoria v South Australia v Western Australia etc. or has that died in the arse in the AFL? If it does still exist, it doesn't seem to be as big as the State of Origin in the Rugby League or the Super 12s when NSW, QLD or the ACT come up against each other. Actually I think that the AFL gets it's fancy tickled only when they have local derbys to keep the tradition of in house fighting alive and well.
The concept of SoO died in the AFL when the competition became truly national. You no doubt can't get your head around that as you follow a code that is restricted to just 2 states in Australia. The rest of Australia doesn't give a rats about rugby league SoO. Don't believe me, just look at the telecast times in most parts of the country. :lol:

Anyway, one could say SoO happens in the AFL every week throughout the H&A season. Funnily enough such games attract bigger crowds than the 3 games a year in rugby league SoO. Go figure.
Scorger Man wrote:
Also on another point in regards to the State of Origin in the AFL, if the Sydney Swans have been playing in Sydney since 1981, wouldn't one assume that if AFL is as popular in Sydney as Syney Swans fans claim it to be, then there should be enough AFL players from NSW by now to have a NSW team.

I mean seriously, Tasmania has/had a team in the State v State competition and they don't even have a team in the AFL!
NSW have indeed had a team in SoO in the past. They even beat the Big V at the SCG in the 90s.

That aside, with a truly national competition in the AFL, the concept of SoO is no longer very popular with the fans and more importantly the players. Perhaps if rugby league was truly national with such widespread appeal in all states and territories of Australia you'd understand this point.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

King-Eliagh wrote:
AFL will never be the number one sport in sydney, the tradition and passion for league is too deep. Its growing in the state and good on it but league will always be number one. Dont you reckon beaussie
Junior participation rates would suggest otherwise with just 2.9% of juniors having any interest in playing rugby league. The game is dying a slow death. Mark my words on that.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

I believe that 2.9% you've stated is a national figure. And i also believe my post was referring to Sydney. Beaussie twisting things in his favour yet again. Give me a quote of the sydney juniors please, then you might be able to say mark my words with some conviction :lol:

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?