Flooding

Australian Football news and discussion.
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Flooding

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

I've heard plenty in the past few weeks about the so called "flooding" strategy used by the Swans. I watched a bit of the game last week and I still can't quite work it out. A question for the seasoned AFL fans here, please explain to me what exactly flooding is and the effects it has on the flow or outcome of a game.
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

It is basicaly a tactic employed by teams to swamp/clog up the forward 50 of the opposition. You'll often see teams that implement it have no players in their own forward 50 as they have all flooded down back to clog up and stop a direct game for the opposition. Rodney Eade the former Sydney coach has been credited with first implementing it, although Sydney is not the only team that does it. In fact most teams implement the flood at one time or another. It's just some teams use the tactic more than others.

The tactic doesn't look great for footy fans who like to see direct footy with one on one contested situations. The problem is you have virtually all players rushing back to the forward 50 of the opposition to slow the game down and it is hoped turned the ball over. Some say that flooding is simply an admission that your team is not good enough to win by playing attractive direct footy. Rather a defensive game is needed to stop the opposition from scoring. I must admit is doesn't look great when both teams employ the tactic however if my team wins I don't really care how ugly the win is. The ultimate prize is afterall a premiership no matter how ugly your game plan is to get that.

I hope that all makes sense.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Re: Flooding

Post by King-Eliagh »

Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
I've heard plenty in the past few weeks about the so called "flooding" strategy used by the Swans. I watched a bit of the game last week and I still can't quite work it out. A question for the seasoned AFL fans here, please explain to me what exactly flooding is and the effects it has on the flow or outcome of a game.
Dizzy's I think the flooding you're referring to is a much more recent tactic employed only by port adelaide and brisbane. During their preseason bonding sessions both these teams visited faeces infested flooding rivers in south america. It was thought that swimming in the strong current rivers would improve endurance and allow their players to taste shit before the season starts so as they will know the horrible 'shit' taste of defeat and do anything to avoid it during the season.

Unfortunatley the plan backfired as the players took quite a liking to the ,what they call, 'aquired' taste of shit. Since then most coaches have vowed never to bring the flooding tactic into vogue, the effects are quite devastating as anyone who checks out where the last years GF's are on the scoreboard.

Definitely a negative tactic for the game of AFL in my books.

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?