Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Posts: 6933
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:34 am
Team: Melbourne Demons
Location:
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 118 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by NlolRL »

You have a point. For example Adelaide get to watch the crowd and power every week. However if both are struggling most would probably prefer to watch the best games of the round, not 2 struggling clubs


pussycat
Coach
Coach
Posts: 6552
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:50 pm
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Location:
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 29 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by pussycat »

Fred wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:42 pm Well if I only have fta and can’t watch my team cause the suns and Brisbane are playing I’m wouldn’t watch. I would watch on my afl app... Telstra streaming. There are a lot of afl people up here however many have an afl team other than suns and lions you see. So I certainly think if you had collingwood v Essendon on fta you’d get much higher ratings than say suns v giants if they were in competeting time slots. Me personally, I’d prefer to watch my Pies and also watch the suns... which I do... but if concurrent and has only the one choice would watch the pies.
If everybody could watch whatever match they wanted to watch on FTA then Fox woudn't be paying squillions for TV rights.


Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
User avatar
leeroy*NRL*
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4763
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:54 pm
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Location:
Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 18 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

NlolRL wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:45 pm You have a point. For example Adelaide get to watch the crowd and power every week. However if both are struggling most would probably prefer to watch the best games of the round, not 2 struggling clubs
the same could go for the BRONCOS>>
if they struggle ratings tank..


Fred
Coach
Coach
Posts: 7596
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:13 am
Team: Collingwood
Location: Gold Coast
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 81 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by Fred »

pussycat wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:14 pm
Fred wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:42 pm Well if I only have fta and can’t watch my team cause the suns and Brisbane are playing I’m wouldn’t watch. I would watch on my afl app... Telstra streaming. There are a lot of afl people up here however many have an afl team other than suns and lions you see. So I certainly think if you had collingwood v Essendon on fta you’d get much higher ratings than say suns v giants if they were in competeting time slots. Me personally, I’d prefer to watch my Pies and also watch the suns... which I do... but if concurrent and has only the one choice would watch the pies.
If everybody could watch whatever match they wanted to watch on FTA then Fox woudn't be paying squillions for TV rights.
Yes - I agree but not sure what the point is. I was answering your question re: why having games shown into QLD of Lions and Suns probably brings ratings down. Also reduces the FTA rights as AFL negotiated this into the contract and took less so it happens.


Veni, vidi, vici
Terry
Coach
Coach
Posts: 3389
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:19 pm
Team: Wests Tigers
Location:
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 47 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by Terry »

Last night's overall TV ratings show the discrepancy of viewing between Sydney and Melbourne that has been evident for many years. The top rating programs were 7 News and 9 News. The numbers for each city were:

Melbourne 7 - 369K Sydney 7 - 243k
Melbourne 9 - 408k Sydney 9 - 285k

Both news programs air between 6pm to 7pm. Melbourne had a combined 249K more people watching than in Sydney. That's a 1/4 million people although Sydney has 350k more people living there. Every program in the top 15 had similar difference between cities.

Apparently each city has the same number of tv rating boxes. Sydney strangely appears to have a huge number of people who have TV's but don't turn 'em on. Fox has low numbers bet 6pm - 7pm so that's not the difference.

Sydney has many more pubs and clubs so more groups of people could be watching there. However the difference is the same every night so I doubt that's the whole answer.

Some people have suggested there is something wrong with the ratings system and how the numbers are collated. I haven't seen any evidence for this so it's hard to tell.

Anyone got any answer's to this?
These users liked the author Terry for the post:
leeroy*NRL* (Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:36 pm)


pussycat
Coach
Coach
Posts: 6552
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:50 pm
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Location:
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 29 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by pussycat »

It is very strange. Across all the major news networks last night there was more than 1/2 a million Melbourne viewers watching the news than Sydney siders. As you say it always similar.


Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Posts: 6933
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:34 am
Team: Melbourne Demons
Location:
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 118 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by NlolRL »

The number of boxes isn't as relevant as you think.

Eg. 5mil people in Sydney may be covered by 50 boxes. If 5 boxes are watching ch9 that's 1 in 10. 1/10th of 5 mil is 500k.

If 4.5mil in Melbourne are covered by 100 boxes and 10 boxes watch ch9 thats 1 in 10. 1/10th of 4.5mil is 450k.

The networks are paid millions based on this data. I'm sure they wouldn't do so without knowing the data was fairly calculated


pussycat
Coach
Coach
Posts: 6552
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:50 pm
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Location:
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 29 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by pussycat »

It could be to do with the Victorian Education System.
Inadequate reading skills taught in there earlier years has led to a much heavier reliance on the 'box' and less on the printed media.


Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
Fred
Coach
Coach
Posts: 7596
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:13 am
Team: Collingwood
Location: Gold Coast
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 81 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by Fred »

Terry wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:35 am Last night's overall TV ratings show the discrepancy of viewing between Sydney and Melbourne that has been evident for many years. The top rating programs were 7 News and 9 News. The numbers for each city were:

Melbourne 7 - 369K Sydney 7 - 243k
Melbourne 9 - 408k Sydney 9 - 285k

Both news programs air between 6pm to 7pm. Melbourne had a combined 249K more people watching than in Sydney. That's a 1/4 million people although Sydney has 350k more people living there. Every program in the top 15 had similar difference between cities.

Apparently each city has the same number of tv rating boxes. Sydney strangely appears to have a huge number of people who have TV's but don't turn 'em on. Fox has low numbers bet 6pm - 7pm so that's not the difference.

Sydney has many more pubs and clubs so more groups of people could be watching there. However the difference is the same every night so I doubt that's the whole answer.

Some people have suggested there is something wrong with the ratings system and how the numbers are collated. I haven't seen any evidence for this so it's hard to tell.

Anyone got any answer's to this?
Off the top of my head and having some ideas re: statistics - as we know these numbers are not "actual" numbers - they are predictions or estimates based on a sample. Something I know can be amazingly accurate however. If there are the same amount of "boxes" could it mean that Sydneysiders have different viewing patterns? That they watch a more varied amount of TV thus reflected in other shows ratings at the same time - what is the spread I guess. Are they watching more pay TV than Melburnians - or SBS or simply not watching at that time for one reason or another (possibly stuck in traffic re: news lol). I am sure many more smarter minds than yours or mine are onto this at the ratings agency and sure it's not an issue.


Veni, vidi, vici
Fred
Coach
Coach
Posts: 7596
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:13 am
Team: Collingwood
Location: Gold Coast
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 81 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by Fred »

pussycat wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:35 pm It could be to do with the Victorian Education System.
Inadequate reading skills taught in there earlier years has led to a much heavier reliance on the 'box' and less on the printed media.
There's always one! 8-[ :roll:


Veni, vidi, vici
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Posts: 6933
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:34 am
Team: Melbourne Demons
Location:
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 118 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:35 pm It could be to do with the Victorian Education System.
Inadequate reading skills taught in there earlier years has led to a much heavier reliance on the 'box' and less on the printed media.
A post like this having a go at the education system. Oh the ironing


pussycat
Coach
Coach
Posts: 6552
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:50 pm
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Location:
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 29 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by pussycat »

Storm v Roosters 910,000
Nein 644,000
(Metro 377,000 Regional 267,000)
Fox 266,000

Carton v stkida 892,000
Seven 677,000
(Metro 512,000 Regional 165,000)
Fox 215,000


Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Posts: 6933
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:34 am
Team: Melbourne Demons
Location:
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 118 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by NlolRL »

friday NRL
Eels/Cowboys
9 Metro 298,000
9 Reg 203,000
9 FTA 501,000
Fox 246,000
Total 747,000

Friday Night AFL
7 Metro 664,000
7 Regional 206,000
Fox 251,000
Total 1.121m


Fred
Coach
Coach
Posts: 7596
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:13 am
Team: Collingwood
Location: Gold Coast
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 81 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by Fred »

NlolRL wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:28 pm The number of boxes isn't as relevant as you think.

Eg. 5mil people in Sydney may be covered by 50 boxes. If 5 boxes are watching ch9 that's 1 in 10. 1/10th of 5 mil is 500k.

If 4.5mil in Melbourne are covered by 100 boxes and 10 boxes watch ch9 thats 1 in 10. 1/10th of 4.5mil is 450k.

The networks are paid millions based on this data. I'm sure they wouldn't do so without knowing the data was fairly calculated
M sure more boxes just means better accuracy.


Veni, vidi, vici
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Posts: 6552
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:50 pm
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Location:
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 29 times

Re: Fight Club - Football TV Ratings

Post by pussycat »

Tigers v Panthers 284,000
Warriors v Broncos 256,000
Titans v Sharks 159,000

(AFL) :rock:


Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests