Greg Inglis and Israel Folau in the AFL

Australian Football news and discussion.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Greg Inglis and Israel Folau in the AFL

Post by Beaussie »

Could they make it in the AFL? At least Karmichael Hunt had played Aussie Rules as a junior. Certainly is big money being discussed for Folau (according to Hutchy, $3 million over 3 years) and interestingly it was him who contacted the AFL not the other way round. Still not sure he would be worth a million a year however publicity wise for GWS... hmm. Thoughts?
kaskill
Seniors
Seniors
Team:
Been liked: 0

Post by kaskill »

I reakon poaching players from the NRL will be a flop and a waste of money! spend it on decent AFL young guns not money hungry bafoons from the other code.
:D
beepee
Reserves
Reserves
Team:
Has thanked: 0

Post by beepee »

Absolute joke and publicity stunt!
Eagles for Premiers!!
Pickles
Seniors
Seniors
Team:

Post by Pickles »

beepee wrote:
Absolute joke and publicity stunt!
State the obvious?

It's going to have a big impact though so why wouldn't they.

I raised the question on my site yesterday about what happens after there 3 year contracts expire? they won't be offered that sort of money after the novelty of it's worn off. After 3 years they'll be back on wages similar to what they could be earning playing league/union outside of Australia or something.
rosize
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by rosize »

There are some good rugby players....but they are not AFL players. Some might be handy in defense if they're built like Mal Michael. Given they are "untried" in the AFL they aren't worth $1m per year.
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Post by TLPG »

GWS recruited Folau because they realised there wasn't enough interest in AFL in Sydney for a support base without affecting the Swans - something that the AFL have completely ignored. So they have decided to target the fans of Penrith, Parramatta and West Tigers (at least) by bringing in an NRL name. And they are trying to pounce on the fact that the AFL's salary cap is higher than the NRL's.

In other words - beepee is right. It's a stunt.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
rosize
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by rosize »

It probably is a publicity stunt but one the AFL obviously think is worth the money. I wonder how many young NRL supporters will swap codes because of the 2 big signings? 5000.....10000?
kaskill
Seniors
Seniors
Team:

Post by kaskill »

I reakon how ever many people folau and hunt have in their families is the amount of supporters that will swap codes! :lol:
rosize
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by rosize »

Hardly worth the money then. If it is all for the media value and a talking point amongst AFL and NRL supporters, then it will be considered a waste of money.....unless one of them becomes a "star" player. I think the AFL is trying to have "one-up" over the NRL by trying to embarass them. The money could have been better spent elsewhere.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Did anyone see Karmichael Hunt playing yesterday in the VFL? For those who missed it check out the following link. 2 goals, one from a free kick.

http://player.video.news.com.au/dailyte ... 2u2gzLIUif