AFL introduces NT Champions League

Discussion about grassroots football and regional footy leagues.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Something you might be interested in KE considering you used to play in the CAFL. Sounds interesting. Not sure of why there is a need to limit country players to 10.

AFL Central Australia (AFLCA) says it will introduce a Champions League to its competitions this season, based on the popular soccer tournament in Europe.

AFLCA's Tim Baker says the competition will pit the top three sides from every country and town competition against each other in a third six-team league.

He says the Champions League will be played during the regular season.
"It'd be just those games on that weekend, so there'd be no other footy except for the Champions League on that weekend," he said.
"It'd sort of stretch the year out a little bit longer but we think it's probably worth it, and everyone keeps telling me how good the country comp is, so let's see if they do match up to the town comp."

AFLCA has also announced it is changing the eligibility rules for players in the Central Australian Football League (CAFL) this season. The CAFL is also known as the Alice Springs town competition and is played on Saturdays but some of the clubs rely on players from Aboriginal communities.

Many of these players also play for their community in the separate country competition on Sundays.

Mr Baker says this season CAFL clubs will be limited to 10 country players per team.

"The players tick a box whether they're a country or town player on their registration form and that's another new thing, the town sides will only be able to play a maximum of 10 players from the country sides," Mr Baker said.

"In previous years they've able to play as many as they want."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...1/s1544672.htm
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Yes Beaussie interesting. I think its not a bad thing to mix the comps up and i spose its because of this they're not allowing the community players to play both although i really dont have a problem with it. Be interesting to see who wins inthe new comp.

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?