Telstra Stadium - No Business Sense

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Telstra Stadium - No Business Sense

Post by Beaussie »

Fair dinkum, they give first preference to the Wests Tigers for this Friday night, meaning the Swans semi-final will now be at the SCG.

Presented with a potential AFL capacity crowd of 80,000 or a 30,000 NRL crowd, they went with the NRL. No wonder the stadium continues to posts huge financial losses. No business sense at all. The SCG would be loving it though. Just a shame that many Sydneysiders will now miss out on seeing the one and only home final in 2005. Shame on you Telstra Stadium management. :evil:
MAKAVELI
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by MAKAVELI »

That is total bullshit. They are crazy!

Wests Tigers only got 17k odd at Telstra Stadium today.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

MAKAVELI wrote:
Wests Tigers only got 17k odd at Telstra Stadium today.
63,000 empty seats. :_<>

Smart decision Telstra Stadium. :roll: Gee they're gonna look stupid on Friday night when there is a full house at the SCG and 60,000 empty seats at Homebush.
crocodileman

Re: Telstra Stadium - No Business Sense

Post by crocodileman »

Beaussie wrote:
Just a shame that many Sydneysiders will now miss out on seeing the one and only home final in 2005. Shame on you Telstra Stadium management. :evil:
I think Telstra stadium management has seen the potential damage of thousands of Swans faithful trying to commit suicide after another unsuccessful season and opted for the Tigers as lower maintenance! :P
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

afl.com.au wrote:
Monday ticket update
6:15:27 PM Mon 5 September, 2005
Australian Football League
http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&s ... eid=227328

The AFL wishes to advise the ticket update at 5pm, Monday September 5, for both of this weekend's finals matches is as follows:

Second semi-final, Sydney v Geelong at the SCG - 18,103 tickets remaining for sale.

First semi-final, Adelaide v Port Adelaide at AAMI Stadium - 34,521 tickets remaining for sale.
So the Swans have sold roughly 25,000 tickets today just to their members, with public tickets not available until tomorrow.

I wonder how many tickets the Wests Tigers sold for their massive finals match at Telstra Stadium? Does anyone know exactly how many members the Wests Tigers have? From memory when Wests merged with Balmain, Wests had roughly 600 and Balmain about 800. Give or take a few hundred perhaps 2,000 tickets were sold today to Wests Tigers and Nth QLD Cowboys members. Will no doubt be a massive crowd on Friday night for the first of the NRL finals. A sea of empty blue seats I predict. :(/
dr nick
Team:

Post by dr nick »

Beaussie wrote:
afl.com.au wrote:
Monday ticket update
6:15:27 PM Mon 5 September, 2005
Australian Football League
http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&s ... eid=227328

The AFL wishes to advise the ticket update at 5pm, Monday September 5, for both of this weekend's finals matches is as follows:

Second semi-final, Sydney v Geelong at the SCG - 18,103 tickets remaining for sale.

First semi-final, Adelaide v Port Adelaide at AAMI Stadium - 34,521 tickets remaining for sale.
So the Swans have sold roughly 25,000 tickets today just to their members, with public tickets not available until tomorrow.

I wonder how many tickets the Wests Tigers sold for their massive finals match at Telstra Stadium? Does anyone know exactly how many members the Wests Tigers have? From memory when Wests merged with Balmain, Wests had roughly 600 and Balmain about 800. Give or take a few hundred perhaps 2,000 tickets were sold today to Wests Tigers and Nth QLD Cowboys members. Will no doubt be a massive crowd on Friday night for the first of the NRL finals. A sea of empty blue seats I predict. :(/
I just know i'm gonna miss out. I can't get to a phone or a computer until about 10:30 so my mates gonna try and pick some up. They will be snapped up.

It must be part of that contractual agreement with the Tigers how theyre gonna play games during the regular season as well instead of Leichhardt. They's be regretting that move now i reckon.

It all started well for the olympic stadium, with 30,000+ league crowds to begin with when the dogs relocated their home games there, but they'd be rueing the day they signed up so many league matches with crowds like this in 2005:

----------------------------------------------------
17,107 - Tigers v Parramatta
19,984 - Bulldogs v Tigers
27,111 - Bulldogs v Roosters (GF Replay)
24,957 - Bulldogs v Parramatta
17,567 - Tigers v Dragons
14,768 - Bulldogs v Manly
13,768 - Tigers v Roosters
29,112 - Bulldogs v Brisbane
13,962 - Bulldogs v Newcastle
29,542 - Bulldogs v Tigers (free ticket day)
10,599 - Bulldogs v Penrith
17,256 - Tigers v Penrith
----------------------------------------------------
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

dr nick wrote:
It all started well for the olympic stadium, with 30,000+ league crowds to begin with when the dogs relocated their home games there, but they'd be rueing the day they signed up so many league matches with crowds like this in 2005
Imagine what the crowds will be like next season with South Sydney playing all their home games at Telstra Stadium. They've had a few 6,000 odd crowds in their own heartland this season.

What a sight such crowds will be out at the 83,500 seat stadium at Homebush. :(/
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

Homebush is a white elephant no matter who plays there - it should have been converted to tenements after the 2000 Olympics!
Scorger Man
Reserves
Reserves
Team: Richmond Tigers

Post by Scorger Man »

Don't why your worrying Beaussie, I think the Swans will have more of a chance to win if they play at the SCG. The ground is custom made for the Swans (Smaller then most, if not all, other AFL grounds)and the less amount of seats, the less chance of more Geelong supporters coming up from Victoria.

If I was throwing my anger around at someone it should be the members of the SCG, because what is the chance of the members stand being at full limit when people only become members with the dream of watching cricket at the SCG. I've been there during a Swans match (actually it was against Geelong as well) and whilst the rest of the SCG was brimming, the Members were more interested in standing up the back at the bar and watching either the horse racing or the NRL being televised from next door at Aussie Stadium.

So in concluding Beaussie, get into the chardonnay sipping wankers of the members stand and get them to forfeit their seats for the game, their not there for the AFL.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Dc nic those nrl crowds this season out at homebush are great news. They are well and truly above last years average and considering the place is a shitty venue to watch league im quite ecstatic. More lovely news that league is growing and growing =D>

Thankyou News Ltd...Thankyou =D>

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

As of 5:00pm today, 5,000 tickets are left for sale for the Swans final. 70,000 tickets remain on sale for the Wests Tigers final. :lol:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

King-Eliagh wrote:
Dc nic those nrl crowds this season out at homebush are great news. They are well and truly above last years average and considering the place is a shitty venue to watch league im quite ecstatic. More lovely news that league is growing and growing =D>

The point I think the Doc was trying to make was, there has been a massive decline in crowd numbers for the NRL at Telstra Stadium. Take out the GF replay and the free tickets day and you get the picture. Hardly a good look in such a big stadium. Rugby league is no doubt better suited to the suburban ovals where capacity rarely exceeds 20,000. Most NRL clubs struggle to even fill those grounds.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Scorger Man wrote:
Don't why your worrying Beaussie, I think the Swans will have more of a chance to win if they play at the SCG. The ground is custom made for the Swans (Smaller then most, if not all, other AFL grounds)and the less amount of seats, the less chance of more Geelong supporters coming up from Victoria.
Sydney has an impressive record at Telstra Stadium too. I'm not concerned about less seats for Geelong supporters, I'm annoyed that thousands of Sydney supporters are going to miss out.
Scorger Man wrote:
If I was throwing my anger around at someone it should be the members of the SCG, because what is the chance of the members stand being at full limit when people only become members with the dream of watching cricket at the SCG. I've been there during a Swans match (actually it was against Geelong as well) and whilst the rest of the SCG was brimming, the Members were more interested in standing up the back at the bar and watching either the horse racing or the NRL being televised from next door at Aussie Stadium.

So in concluding Beaussie, get into the chardonnay sipping wankers of the members stand and get them to forfeit their seats for the game, their not there for the AFL.
At Telstra the chardonnay sippers could have easily been accommodated with plenty of seats still available for the Sydney masses who love coming out for finals footy.
dr nick
Team:

Post by dr nick »

King-Eliagh wrote:

Given the break-even crowd is something like 30,000 for them, i think it's safe to say they'd be fairly shattered.

And contrary to your hogwash, the olympic stadium crowds have plummeted since it was open to RL:

Largest Home and Away Crowds for Telstra Stadium:
---------------------------------------------------------------
1999 - 104,583
2000 - 62,255
2001 - 54,833
2002 - 37,183
2003 - 42,017
2004 - 42,717
2005 - 33,105
---------------------------------------------------------------
OUCH!

They'd have given up all those wests tigers games if they knew it was gonna mean they'd miss out on a sydney swans home final.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

I just love statistically minded folk. Such simpletons that never truly see any big pictures. The 1999 figure is not an average...just a single crowd. Same as 2000 i believe. After that we must understand what teams were playing there for which years. I dont know that answer off the top of my head but surely more popular teams would have a difference on crowds. Also im sure people would be realising the venue is hopeless to watch any form of rugby at.

In any case the crowds are still up on the average....and well up! Its great to see, thanks dr nic

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?