Who or Where is Next?

Australian Football news and discussion.
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Who or Where is Next?

Post by Fred »

Now Tassie is locked in …..

Where will the 20th team be located?

My thoughts on viable options

Canberra

3rd Adelaide Team

Newcastle

Less viable

A “top end” team based out of Darwin and plays games in Cairns (cairns and surrounds has a strong Aussie Rules following) -

A team in regional Victoria - maybe taking in south east down to Gippsland

A regional team taking in Riverina area where there is a strong Aussie rules presence.

For me- the obvious choice is Canberra - this would force the reconfiguring of the whole GWS deal forcing them to focus more locally - and Canberra already has a strong Aussie Rules following. Is also close enough to get to for Sydney and Victorian team supporters and I think a good rivalary would develop between them and GWS.

Obviously NT is deserving of a team given it”s a strong Aussie Rules area but just don’t see viability re: population and infrastructure.
Veni, vidi, vici
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Re: Who or Where is Next?

Post by Quolls2019 »

Fred wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:35 am

Canberra

3rd Adelaide Team

Newcastle

Less viable

A “top end” team based out of Darwin and plays games in Cairns (cairns and surrounds has a strong Aussie Rules following) -

A regional team taking in Riverina area where there is a strong Aussie rules presence.

For me- the obvious choice is Canberra - this would force the reconfiguring of the whole GWS deal forcing them to focus more locally - and Canberra already has a strong Aussie Rules following. Is also close enough to get to for Sydney and Victorian team supporters and I think a good rivalary would develop between them and GWS.

Obviously NT is deserving of a team given it”s a strong Aussie Rules area but just don’t see viability re: population and infrastructure.
The fact that there is not one clear choice, is why I believe that there will eventually be 22 teams in the AFL.
Out of the leaders, I would choose the Canberra area, to be known as CMM Rams. Canberra-Murray-Monaro, with most home games played in Canberra, 1 in Albury-Wodonga and 1 alternatively in Wagga Wagga and Somewhere like Batemans Bay.
Then NT/Northern Australia, I think it will need to be a Northern Australian side, logistics issues notwithstanding.

Then no 22. Newcastle., Wollongong? Sunshine Coast. 3rd WA…..Central Coast NSW?
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
Skippy Steve
Reserves
Reserves
Team: Sydney Swans
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Skippy Steve »

I've even heard that a 3rd team in WA is also being concidered.
azif
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Albury Thunder
Been liked: 5 times

Post by azif »

fumbler delusion rampant in here atm :cool:

Newcastle ?
8-[

:hmm:

:lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/

if you think GWS is a lost cause in Western Sydney reeking of never required & not wanted , plonking a fumbling team in Newcastle would be next level :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach

Post by Quolls2019 »

azif wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:07 pm

Newcastle ?
8-[

if you think GWS is a lost cause in Western Sydney reeking of never required & not wanted , plonking a fumbling team in Newcastle would be next level :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/
Read again,,,comprehend….just one of several alternatives.
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

Quolls2019 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:27 pm

Newcastle ?
8-[

ah no
you read again , one of ... your... alternatives is Newcastle

a team on Christmas island would make more sense you complete idiot :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 164 times

Post by Terry »

The fumbling code is maxxed out. They have nowhere to go that will add any value to the code. The NT, Canberra or another team in NSW or Qld will be totally dependent on handouts. They will be another GWS. An unloved bastard child playing in front of family and friends.

Another team in one of the fumbling states won't happen. They are totally owned by the fumbling game. There is no need or want to put another team in Melbourne or the desert state capitals.

The NRL on the other hand have a plethora of expansion opportunities that will build the game in every respect. Thus far they have been sounded out by possible franchises in Perth, PNG, NZ both north and south Island and now Fiji have put in an offer.

Both PNG and Fiji will be financed primarily by government and will be no financial burden on head office. They will be soft diplomacy additions that will add eyeballs to the game and many athletes to the player pool. They will however not add much value to the code in dollar terms.

Perth and the NZ teams will be privately owned and will add broadcast value and sponsorship opportunities. Both are crying out for an NRL team and will have an immediate strong following.

In short: AFL - nowhere to go. NRL - the world is their oyster!!!!
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Newcastle ?
8-[

I think there are two ways you can look at it - western Sydney was targeted because Aussie rules has a low profile there - so it was an untapped market - not because it is popular there. Same reason Melbourne has a team in the nrl or why swans went to Sydney. So the point that Aussie rules isn’t big in Newcastle would be the precise reason to put a team there. And if they do hopefully they have learnt from their mistakes with gws. So I don’t think there is delusion in the form that people think there is lots of support there - maybe delusion if they think it would be an easy market to crack.
Veni, vidi, vici
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Terry wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:02 pm
The fumbling code is maxxed out. They have nowhere to go that will add any value to the code. The NT, Canberra or another team in NSW or Qld will be totally dependent on handouts. They will be another GWS. An unloved bastard child playing in front of family and friends.

Another team in one of the fumbling states won't happen. They are totally owned by the fumbling game. There is no need or want to put another team in Melbourne or the desert state capitals.

The NRL on the other hand have a plethora of expansion opportunities that will build the game in every respect. Thus far they have been sounded out by possible franchises in Perth, PNG, NZ both north and south Island and now Fiji have put in an offer.

Both PNG and Fiji will be financed primarily by government and will be no financial burden on head office. They will be soft diplomacy additions that will add eyeballs to the game and many athletes to the player pool. They will however not add much value to the code in dollar terms.

Perth and the NZ teams will be privately owned and will add broadcast value and sponsorship opportunities. Both are crying out for an NRL team and will have an immediate strong following.

In short: AFL - nowhere to go. NRL - the world is their oyster!!!!

I think there is a lot right about having somewhere else to expand - I do think Canberra is a natural choice - lots of Aussie Rules there - played locally and you have that whole Riverina area to tap into.
Veni, vidi, vici
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach

Post by Quolls2019 »

azif wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:01 pm

Newcastle ?
8-[

ah no

a team on Christmas island would make more sense you complete idiot :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/
Read again, I confirmed that Newcastle was one of the alternatives.
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

Quolls2019 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:06 pm
azif wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:01 pm

ah no

Read again, I confirmed that Newcastle was one of the alternatives.
read again
I confirmed you're a clueless twat if you think Newcastle are an alternative :lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :(/
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

Fred wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:49 pm

Newcastle ?
8-[

I think there are two ways you can look at it - western Sydney was targeted because Aussie rules has a low profile there - so it was an untapped market - not because it is popular there. Same reason Melbourne has a team in the nrl or why swans went to Sydney. So the point that Aussie rules isn’t big in Newcastle would be the precise reason to put a team there. And if they do hopefully they have learnt from their mistakes with gws. So I don’t think there is delusion in the form that people think there is lots of support there - maybe delusion if they think it would be an easy market to crack.
so lets re inforce a flawed logic & there is proof its very flawed.. by

doing it again ?
:-k

so the NRL should go to Geelong based on that same principle ? :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/

Australian rules has been played in Newcastle longer then Rugby League
no amount of fumbling & missing has convinced locals its any good

the 3rd & 4th sides in NSW & QLD have proven one thing
there is a limit to the support for afl in these states ... it has a ceiling

they've hit it

even Canberra won't work , you'll have a team the size of GWS is atm at best
there are 2 , soon to be 3 professional football teams in Canberra already in a smallish market

one is very Dominant & has been there for 42 years

Perth 3 is the best option by far & thats where they will go. Its a response to the NRLs move there ( perth will be the 18th NRL team )
yes it will be the smallest of the WA sides , but way bigger then the suns or gws are or any of these other stupid ideas
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

azif wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:51 pm
Fred wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:49 pm

Newcastle ?
8-[

so lets re inforce a flawed logic & there is proof its very flawed.. by

doing it again ?
:-k

so the NRL should go to Geelong based on that same principle ? :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/

Australian rules has been played in Newcastle longer then Rugby League
no amount of fumbling & missing has convinced locals its any good

the 3rd & 4th sides in NSW & QLD have proven one thing
there is a limit to the support for afl in these states ... it has a ceiling

they've hit it

even Canberra won't work , you'll have a team the size of GWS is atm at best
there are 2 , soon to be 3 professional football teams in Canberra already in a smallish market

one is very Dominant & has been there for 42 years

Perth 3 is the best option by far & thats where they will go. Its a response to the NRLs move there ( perth will be the 18th NRL team )
yes it will be the smallest of the WA sides , but way bigger then the suns or gws are or any of these other stupid ideas

Yes- on that logic Geelong would be a possible area for the NRL to go into - but I think Perth is the best option - they are more AFL mad than Victorians but it’s a good market to break into. It’s the very reason a RL team was put in Melbourne - to grow the game in an untapped market . GWS have made major mistakes - and I would say Aussie rules has/had far less a presence at grassroots than Newcastle has - as pointed out. It’s the very reason (or one of) nrl went ti Vegas - to tap into lathe markets.

I tell you what1 if the nrl had of been brave a decade ago and put an NRL team in Tassie - I think it would have taken off - with people pissed off with afl taking them for granted many would have jumped on board - and once exposed to the game and understand it a bit better - would have had many come on board.
Veni, vidi, vici
GlobalRugbyLeague
Reserves
Reserves
Team: Manly
Been liked: 3 times

Post by GlobalRugbyLeague »

Quolls2019 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:09 am

Canberra

3rd Adelaide Team

Newcastle

Less viable

The fact that there is not one clear choice, is why I believe that there will eventually be 22 teams in the AFL.
Out of the leaders, I would choose the Canberra area, to be known as CMM Rams. Canberra-Murray-Monaro, with most home games played in Canberra, 1 in Albury-Wodonga and 1 alternatively in Wagga Wagga and Somewhere like Batemans Bay.
Then NT/Northern Australia, I think it will need to be a Northern Australian side, logistics issues notwithstanding.

Newcastle will never have an AFL team. The jets struggle there and soccer is way more popular than AFL in Newcastle.

Northern Territory has too small a population.

Wollongong would be a failure for AFL too. Rusted on soccer and league fans and not enough money, no round stadiums.

Central Coast is league and soccer too. Are no round stadiums there either.

Canberra would be AFLs only option for a new team in a new city location.
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach

Post by Quolls2019 »

GlobalRugbyLeague wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:20 pm
Quolls2019 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:09 am

Canberra

3rd Adelaide Team

Newcastle

Less viable

Newcastle will never have an AFL team. The jets struggle there and soccer is way more popular than AFL in Newcastle.

Northern Territory has too small a population.

Wollongong would be a failure for AFL too. Rusted on soccer and league fans and not enough money, no round stadiums.

Central Coast is league and soccer too. Are no round stadiums there either.

Canberra would be AFLs only option for a new team in a new city location.
Build it and they will come…

Most of those areas would need a new boutique ground built, but as it could be shared with cricket, not an issue that could not be overcome.

NT will be like PNG for the NRL, a fair bit of government support…as well mining sponsorship…a lot of it, would not surprise.