AFL Opening Round in NSW and QLD

Australian Football news and discussion.
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Re: AFL Opening Round in NSW and QLD

Post by Quolls2019 »

azif wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:18 pm
Fred wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:38 pm
I think if it was making hay whilst the sun shined so to speak - they should have had it a week earlier - when no NRL was on. I thought that was the whole point.

I know AFL clubs in QLD and NSW have been calling for an earlier start for years, stating by having a couple of weeks of NRL - free air so to speak, makes it a bit more difficult, particularly already being the underdog up this way to start with.

I agree, I don't think this has been executed too well - and it is a good point - AFL have never really consider the NRL a threat to their overall dominance - and I still don't think they do in heartland states - have been more concerned about soccer - and at one time, basketball - but never really NRL - and I think that is still the case - go to Victoria and you will see the complete lack of hardly any presence at grassroots level to see what I mean. However, in QLD and Sydney - they rightly do see that as a battle ground so to speak - or somewhere where they are trying to grow the game - and here, I believe they have been reactionary - and I believe with locals who may be open to both sports, it looked a little (lot) desperate - and dare I say second rate and amateurish - which is usually very un AFL like - I worry that roles may have slowly been reversed somewhat - hopefully only temporarily :)
i think its fans in the afl heartland who would be the most disappointed with the afls reaction & strategy , they'd of expected more from their sports leadership . while appreciating the struggles the sport is having in NSW & QLD , looking rattled & playing catchup .. throwing tradition out the window & sacrificing the draw for a bizzare concept that will have little affect on the Nthn states anyway because of how its been delivered .. rather then

good luck NRL
we wish you well.
disarms PVL .. he couldn't respond to that level of confidence
I think that currently the AFL would only be worried about GWS, great on the field not so great off it.
The Swans and Lions are well established, successful and popular and Gold Coast is on the way, the amount of current and upcoming local kids augers well.
From being considered a foreign sport in the northern states it is now the 2nd ranked football code there and it will grow.
If they could just fix GWS.
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
azif
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Albury Thunder
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 5 times

Post by azif »

Quolls2019 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:43 pm
I think if it was making hay whilst the sun shined so to speak - they should have had it a week earlier - when no NRL was on. I thought that was the whole point.

I know AFL clubs in QLD and NSW have been calling for an earlier start for years, stating by having a couple of weeks of NRL - free air so to speak, makes it a bit more difficult, particularly already being the underdog up this way to start with.

I agree, I don't think this has been executed too well - and it is a good point - AFL have never really consider the NRL a threat to their overall dominance - and I still don't think they do in heartland states - have been more concerned about soccer - and at one time, basketball - but never really NRL - and I think that is still the case - go to Victoria and you will see the complete lack of hardly any presence at grassroots level to see what I mean. However, in QLD and Sydney - they rightly do see that as a battle ground so to speak - or somewhere where they are trying to grow the game - and here, I believe they have been reactionary - and I believe with locals who may be open to both sports, it looked a little (lot) desperate - and dare I say second rate and amateurish - which is usually very un AFL like - I worry that roles may have slowly been reversed somewhat - hopefully only temporarily :)
i think its fans in the afl heartland who would be the most disappointed with the afls reaction & strategy , they'd of expected more from their sports leadership . while appreciating the struggles the sport is having in NSW & QLD , looking rattled & playing catchup .. throwing tradition out the window & sacrificing the draw for a bizzare concept that will have little affect on the Nthn states anyway because of how its been delivered .. rather then

good luck NRL
we wish you well.
I think that currently the AFL would only be worried about GWS, great on the field not so great off it.
The Swans and Lions are well established, successful and popular and Gold Coast is on the way, the amount of current and upcoming local kids augers well.
From being considered a foreign sport in the northern states it is now the 2nd ranked football code there and it will grow.
if you can't outrate pepper pig on Tv in NSW & QLD for any game played bar maybe a final or 2, then i think your issues go way past one failing local club

being 2nd in these states & growing ( questionable) is borderline irrelevant when the numb one code is growing faster on less revenue & resources
the NRL hit records in all metrics in 2023
the afl hit none

thats a problem
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

It was about giving the AFL a good kick start in the northern states and planned around the Labor Day holiday in Victoria this weekend. AFL CEO said as much at the time. The northern clubs have pushed hard for this and the crowds and tv ratings clearly demonstrate it’s been a great success. Absolute cracker game at the Gabba tonight.

AFL CEO Andrew Dillon is also hopeful the Labour Day public holiday in Victoria on Monday, March 11 will further encourage fans of the Victorian clubs to travel north for the games.
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach

Post by Quolls2019 »

In the first quarter the lions would have terrified every other club…..then they lost…
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

Beaussie wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:53 pm

It was about giving the AFL a good kick start in the northern states and planned around the Labor Day holiday in Victoria this weekend. AFL CEO said as much at the time. The northern clubs have pushed hard for this and the crowds and tv ratings clearly demonstrate it’s been a great success. Absolute cracker game at the Gabba tonight.

AFL CEO Andrew Dillon is also hopeful the Labour Day public holiday in Victoria on Monday, March 11 will further encourage fans of the Victorian clubs to travel north for the games.
it was a pathetic response to the NRL in Vegas

the afl
" when you're away , we will rob your house !"

stuffed it up...
completely stuffed it :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :(/
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

What a great game last night (had to watch replay this morning) …. A good advertisement and if you were at your first game of AFL last night you’d be left wanting more. You can’t beat a close game and a big crowd - no matter the sport - electric.
Veni, vidi, vici
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

The NRL's were crackers too , ensuring its fans were engaged right til the end.
These users liked the author azif for the post:
Fred (Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:51 pm)
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach

Post by Quolls2019 »

azif wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:50 pm

good luck NRL
we wish you well.
if you can't outrate pepper pig on Tv in NSW & QLD for any game played bar maybe a final or 2, then i think your issues go way past one failing local club

being 2nd in these states & growing ( questionable) is borderline irrelevant when the numb one code is growing faster on less revenue & resources
the afl hit none

thats a problem
What metrics are you talking about….show your proof.
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

Quolls2019 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:12 pm

the afl hit none

thats a problem
crowds
TV ratings
revenues & profits

& theres plenty of proof out there
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

azif wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:00 pm
The NRL's were crackers too , ensuring its fans were engaged right til the end.
Awesome -
Veni, vidi, vici
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach

Post by Quolls2019 »

azif wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:46 pm

the afl hit none

thats a problem
crowds
TV ratings
revenues & profits

Ratings….maybe….nothing else except revenue on pokies.
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Well it’s looking pretty packed at the sun”s game - close to 50 50 but leaning Richmond going by dress. Lots of people with no colours though. Biggest line I have also been in to get in - got in at 310 and plenty behind me
Veni, vidi, vici
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

Quolls2019 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:58 pm

crowds
TV ratings
revenues & profits

you're a bit of a twerp aren't you ?
i said the NRL hit records for,,, itself
its never losing the ratings to anyone , its easily the most watched sport in Australia
but , i was claiming its ratings for 2023 were a record for them .. & of course for any sport in Australia fullstop
so were their crowds for 2023 .. they finally got to their 20K average & then some
&
since when has the NRL .. the governing body .. had pokies :hmm: you utter moron :(/ :(/ :rofl: :rofl:
the NRL raked in its highest amount of revenue .. ever

learn to read :lol:
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach

Post by Quolls2019 »

azif wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:30 pm

crowds
TV ratings
revenues & profits

its never losing the ratings to anyone , its easily the most watched sport in Australia
but , i was claiming its ratings for 2023 were a record for them .. & of course for any sport in Australia fullstop
so were their crowds for 2023 .. they finally got to their 20K average & then some
&
since when has the NRL .. the governing body .. had pokies :hmm: you utter moron :(/ :(/ :rofl: :rofl:

You said all metrics, learn to say what you mean and mean what you say.
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

Quolls2019 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:38 pm
azif wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:30 pm

&

You said all metrics, learn to say what you mean and mean what you say.
I said what I meant , how didn't I exactly ?
meanwhile you said the NRL had pokies 8-[ .. :-k .. :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :(/