AFL plans for footy in NSW

Discuss the footy industry, crowds, tv ratings, memberships, sponsorships and the finances of all Australian football codes and clubs
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

AFL plans for footy in NSW

Post by Beaussie »

NSW still seen as a massive opportunity to keep growing the game. Good to hear facilities for footy is firmly in focus and on the agenda.

Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 164 times

Re: AFL plans for footy in NSW

Post by Terry »

Beaussie wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:56 am
NSW still seen as a massive opportunity to keep growing the game. Good to hear facilities for footy is firmly in focus and on the agenda.

Great to see ya so excited beatup!!! Truth is there is plenty of room for growth. The Ginats are unknown in western Sydney. Kids out there couldn't give a stuff about the fumbling mess.

The gains made at the expense of Rugby Union in the rich white populated suburbs has peaked. There's no more growth for 'em there. They'll need bags and bags of cold hard cash to try and bribe a few more kids to fumble the sherrin lolololol!!!!

Good luck to 'em!!!!!!
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

I think the real story here is what Hutchinson wax saying in the Footy Classified show they were referencing.
Veni, vidi, vici
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Quolls2019 »

Fred wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:44 am
I think the real story here is what Hutchinson wax saying in the Footy Classified show they were referencing.
What did he say?
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

Was basically saying the Giants are a wastewater with little interest in AFL in that area. Hence the interview.
Veni, vidi, vici
Skippy Steve
Reserves
Reserves
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Skippy Steve »

To fight off the Giants in Western Sydney, the nRL have to be happy that Penrith keep on winning.
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

Skippy Steve wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:34 pm
To fight off the Giants in Western Sydney, the nRL have to be happy that Penrith keep on winning.
Rubbish Skip 'ol son, this comment shows you have no idea about good 'ol Sydney town pal. Western Sydney is serviced not only by the Panthers but also Parramatta, Wests Tigers, Canterbury and Souths have a massive following out there even though they're based in south east Sydney. RL will always rule the western suburbs.

The Ginats will never ever be more than a plastic facade of a sporting organisation masquerading as a western Sydney 'club'. Please do better Skip. You're making a fool of yaself pal!!!!!
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Penrith is located 65km west of Sydney

It is more so Parramatta / Canterbury / Tigers areas
GWS want>>
Penrith is too far west and AFL will never get a look in there.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

A lot of work still to do, but positive developments are being reported. Opening Round sellout at Giants Stadium and a growing membership base for the Giants is good news.

Giants CEO Dave Matthews stokes the flames ahead of Opening Round clash
By LACHLAN MCKIRDY
NEWS CORP AUSTRALIA SPORTS NEWSROOM

17 FEBRUARY 2024

The Giants have stoked the flames ahead of their opening-round clash against Collingwood with CEO Dave Matthews claiming the hate is real for the side that knocked them out of the 2023 finals series.

GWS is no stranger to building a rivalry off the back of finals heartache. Their battles with the Western Bulldogs have been compulsory viewing ever since the visitors came away with a win in the 2016 preliminary final at Giants Stadium.

But the Pies could now be second on the list for the Giants after the one-point loss in last year’s preliminary final, and Mason Cox’s subsequent dig at their home ground.

“I mean we hate Collingwood almost as much as we hate the Swans,” Matthews said.

“I think we’ve been so hungry since losing that preliminary final by a point. The season couldn’t come around quickly enough after a result like that.

“We’re very pleased with our year last year overall but ultimately disappointed with the way it finished.

“So they’re the perfect opponent for us in the opening round. We think the game will sell out and we just want to see a packed Giants Stadium and get away with four points.”

Matthews is a huge fan of the new Opening Round concept and believes the new AFL administration led by Andrew Dillon has shown increased initiative in growing the sport in the northern states.

But he also understands the club has to capitalise on that momentum to create stronger crowds and an even larger interest in the Giants’ brand, with the game against Collingwood well on track to become their highest regular season crowd outside of Sydney Derbys.

“It’s one of the biggest home and away fixtures that the AFL has ever delivered to Sydney so we can’t wait for that opportunity,” Matthews said.

“I think you need to be winning to capture the imagination of people in Sydney and we’re clearly trying to build the game for the AFL through the vehicle of the Giants.

“Off the back of a couple of down years and the period during Covid, last year I think breathed new life into the Giants and I think in many ways we exceeded our own expectations, not just the expectations of the football world.

“It’s also part of the momentum that the AFL has created by Andrew Dillon and his team deciding on opening round. It was a bold decision, we’ve been waiting for a decision like that for a number of years and Andrew Dillon and his team have delivered.”

As a club, the Giants celebrated a new landmark membership record on Friday as they passed 25,000 members for the quickest time in their history.

That mark puts them only behind the Swans, Parramatta Eels and South Sydney Rabbitohs for sporting memberships in Sydney. By the end of 2023, they had also surpassed the Rabbitohs’ figure.

Despite some claims online, the highly-publicised Kayo Digital GIANT Membership that includes 12-month access to the streaming service makes up far less than 1,000 of the total figure. The club has also already sold more full Giants Stadium reserved-seat memberships than it did by the end of 2023.

Matthews says the goal for this year would be to surpass 35,000 members which could make the Swans and Giants the two largest membership bases in NSW despite being in rugby league heartland.

“(Sydney Swans chairman) Andrew Pridham I think said [the Swans want] 100,000 but they are 150 years old and they were a Melbourne side originally,” Matthews said.

“I think this year we’ll get close to 35,000. I think we’ll sell out the opening round and the game against the Swans. Games in Canberra are going to be at capacity.

“We play entertaining football. We play it in a stadium that is regarded as one of the best for fans in Australia.

“I think the feedback I’ve had a lot since last year’s finish is that if we’re not your first team, we’re probably your second team. So our challenge is to convert people who probably think we’re their second team into becoming their first team.”
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

Beaussie wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:10 am

A lot of work still to do, but positive developments are being reported. Opening Round sellout at Giants Stadium and a growing membership base for the Giants is good news.

Giants CEO Dave Matthews stokes the flames ahead of Opening Round clash
By LACHLAN MCKIRDY
NEWS CORP AUSTRALIA SPORTS NEWSROOM

17 FEBRUARY 2024

The Giants have stoked the flames ahead of their opening-round clash against Collingwood with CEO Dave Matthews claiming the hate is real for the side that knocked them out of the 2023 finals series.

GWS is no stranger to building a rivalry off the back of finals heartache. Their battles with the Western Bulldogs have been compulsory viewing ever since the visitors came away with a win in the 2016 preliminary final at Giants Stadium.

But the Pies could now be second on the list for the Giants after the one-point loss in last year’s preliminary final, and Mason Cox’s subsequent dig at their home ground.

“I mean we hate Collingwood almost as much as we hate the Swans,” Matthews said.

“I think we’ve been so hungry since losing that preliminary final by a point. The season couldn’t come around quickly enough after a result like that.

“We’re very pleased with our year last year overall but ultimately disappointed with the way it finished.

“So they’re the perfect opponent for us in the opening round. We think the game will sell out and we just want to see a packed Giants Stadium and get away with four points.”

Matthews is a huge fan of the new Opening Round concept and believes the new AFL administration led by Andrew Dillon has shown increased initiative in growing the sport in the northern states.

But he also understands the club has to capitalise on that momentum to create stronger crowds and an even larger interest in the Giants’ brand, with the game against Collingwood well on track to become their highest regular season crowd outside of Sydney Derbys.

“It’s one of the biggest home and away fixtures that the AFL has ever delivered to Sydney so we can’t wait for that opportunity,” Matthews said.

“I think you need to be winning to capture the imagination of people in Sydney and we’re clearly trying to build the game for the AFL through the vehicle of the Giants.

“Off the back of a couple of down years and the period during Covid, last year I think breathed new life into the Giants and I think in many ways we exceeded our own expectations, not just the expectations of the football world.

“It’s also part of the momentum that the AFL has created by Andrew Dillon and his team deciding on opening round. It was a bold decision, we’ve been waiting for a decision like that for a number of years and Andrew Dillon and his team have delivered.”

As a club, the Giants celebrated a new landmark membership record on Friday as they passed 25,000 members for the quickest time in their history.

That mark puts them only behind the Swans, Parramatta Eels and South Sydney Rabbitohs for sporting memberships in Sydney. By the end of 2023, they had also surpassed the Rabbitohs’ figure.

Despite some claims online, the highly-publicised Kayo Digital GIANT Membership that includes 12-month access to the streaming service makes up far less than 1,000 of the total figure. The club has also already sold more full Giants Stadium reserved-seat memberships than it did by the end of 2023.

Matthews says the goal for this year would be to surpass 35,000 members which could make the Swans and Giants the two largest membership bases in NSW despite being in rugby league heartland.

“(Sydney Swans chairman) Andrew Pridham I think said [the Swans want] 100,000 but they are 150 years old and they were a Melbourne side originally,” Matthews said.

“I think this year we’ll get close to 35,000. I think we’ll sell out the opening round and the game against the Swans. Games in Canberra are going to be at capacity.

“We play entertaining football. We play it in a stadium that is regarded as one of the best for fans in Australia.

“I think the feedback I’ve had a lot since last year’s finish is that if we’re not your first team, we’re probably your second team. So our challenge is to convert people who probably think we’re their second team into becoming their first team.”

Beatup 'ol mate, no sane sensible person anywhere believes the Ginats 'membership' numbers. They're bald faced lies pal. For your sake I hope and trust you're only 'beating' up this BS. I simply cannot believe you could be this ...............lets say.............silly!!!
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

I’ll believe what’s reported in the news over anything you’ve got to say Terry.
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

Beaussie wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:55 pm
I’ll believe what’s reported in the news over anything you’ve got to say Terry.
[/quote

Dear oh dear!!! This is just sad. I suggest you do a tad more research beatup. Look behind the propaganda headlines and try to get to the reality pal. However if you do truly believe the BS all I have for you is sympathy.

Keep well pal!
Skippy Steve
Reserves
Reserves
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Skippy Steve »

Gee, you guys have a very poor memory? Don't you remember a few years back when Penrith were losing and Phil Gould was running the show at Penrith, and he was very worried about the AFL moving into Western Sydney? Auskick was everywhere in the west, and Gus was crapping his pants about it. Then Penrith suddenly started winning and dominating, and the Giants took a big slide down the ladder and the nRL was happy, and now they think that they have fought off the AFL take over in Western Sydney. But Penrith's winning streak will come to an end, and then the nRL will be worried about the Giants all over again.