How much are extra teams worth to TV Broadcasters and Leagues

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

How much are extra teams worth to TV Broadcasters and Leagues

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

As The NRL Ramps up 18th Team for the NRL

Broadcast industry sources estimate an 18th NRL team could be worth an extra $375 million in TV rights negotiations.
leeroy*NRL*

Re: How much are extra teams worth to TV Broadcasters and Leagues

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Soccer Teams

Macarthur & Western United
added literally nothing to the Broadcast league.
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

AFL Estimate

GWS AND SUNS Added approx $50mill a YEAR to the league with an extra game>>

(i think teams 17th and 18th NRL) will add a hell of alot more value in coming deals.
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

it has been reported the Government would kick in funds for a Pacific island team

The franchise would have a permanent base in Cairns in far north Queensland and be aided by the Australian government, which is prepared to tip in $20-25 million annually in the interests of national security in the Pacific.

The Auckland-based Warriors are the NRL’s only offshore team, but ARL Commissioner Kate Jones believes the Telstra Premiership is ready to expand its international borders and V’landys revealed a Pasifika franchise could be next cab off the rank.
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:07 am
it has been reported the Government would kick in funds for a Pacific island team

The franchise would have a permanent base in Cairns in far north Queensland and be aided by the Australian government, which is prepared to tip in $20-25 million annually in the interests of national security in the Pacific.

The Auckland-based Warriors are the NRL’s only offshore team, but ARL Commissioner Kate Jones believes the Telstra Premiership is ready to expand its international borders and V’landys revealed a Pasifika franchise could be next cab off the rank.
To me a Pasifika team playing out of Cairns seems nonsensical. Are they going to play home games in Cairns?? What about PNG, Tonga, Samoa & Fiji? Are they going to develop players in PNG and the pacific islands. And how will they do it when they're based in Cairns. Seems kinda weird.

Maybe it's the $25M a year the govt is going to tip in that has swayed the NRL. That would make them very financial. With the NRL money they would have $40M a year before sponsorship, gates, membership etc etc is even factored in.

But what happens if there is a change of govt or the govt change their minds about the funding. Seems very risky to me. I always thought Perth would be the next expansion team. That makes much more sense.
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Terry wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:13 pm
leeroy*NRL* wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:07 am

To me a Pasifika team playing out of Cairns seems nonsensical. Are they going to play home games in Cairns?? What about PNG, Tonga, Samoa & Fiji? Are they going to develop players in PNG and the pacific islands. And how will they do it when they're based in Cairns. Seems kinda weird.

Maybe it's the $25M a year the govt is going to tip in that has swayed the NRL. That would make them very financial. With the NRL money they would have $40M a year before sponsorship, gates, membership etc etc is even factored in.

But what happens if there is a change of govt or the govt change their minds about the funding. Seems very risky to me. I always thought Perth would be the next expansion team. That makes much more sense.
to me what i get from it..

the Government are legit want it to happen.. I think 25mill a year (you also want money pumped into the pacific countries overtime.)

The Plan as i see it..

Cairns would be the HOME BASE (Training HQ & Facilities etc)
and they would play games at PNG TONGA SOMAO FIJI
while feeding talent from these countries
grassroots would explode from the pacific

(it all is possible) though for me (i would prefer they stuck to just Internationals for Pacific)
and government funded it though International games.
truthbomber
Banned
Team: Cobar Roosters
Been liked: 57 times

Post by truthbomber »

I agree with Terry
its a bad idea & the NRL doesn't have to fight the Govts battles against China in the Pacific for it & shouldn't either.
PNG too ... stupid idea.
Super Rugby has a Pacifika side & its an unmitigated disaster.

Islander kids can still play in the NRL but for the present 17 teams .... Perth , a 2nd NZ side & a 3rd Brisbane side & these should be the teams introduced over the next 10 years bringing the comp to 20 teams for the start of the 2033 season.
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

truthbomber wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:35 am
I agree with Terry
its a bad idea & the NRL doesn't have to fight the Govts battles against China in the Pacific for it & shouldn't either.
PNG too ... stupid idea.
Super Rugby has a Pacifika side & its an unmitigated disaster.

Islander kids can still play in the NRL but for the present 17 teams .... Perth , a 2nd NZ side & a 3rd Brisbane side & these should be the teams introduced over the next 10 years bringing the comp to 20 teams for the start of the 2033 season.
oh yes i totally agree.

there should not be a Pacific island team in the NRL (The government can invest with NRL through Internationals)

Perth (TEAM 18) 2026/2027
NZ 2 (TEAM 19) 2030 approx
Logan / Ipswich (TEAM 20) 2030 approx
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

I agree re Ipswich and Perth - but think a Pacifica team would be a hit - but not hosted out of Cairns -
Veni, vidi, vici
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Fred wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:18 pm
I agree re Ipswich and Perth - but think a Pacifica team would be a hit - but not hosted out of Cairns -
yep,

in an ideal world, if The Pacific Nations were Rich Countries they would have teams locked in
but they are not, and would need to be based in Australia with games allocated to countries.

Fred, would you be a Fan of Perth Bears ?
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

No - I have Storm as my team . Plus bears sucks - maybe it will be a West Coast type name rather than a city ?
Veni, vidi, vici
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Fred wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:05 pm
No - I have Storm as my team . Plus bears sucks - maybe it will be a West Coast type name rather than a city ?
yeah unsure what name they may go with..

I thin k when you have WEST COAST EAGLES & FREMANTLE

I think the NRL have to go with Perth to be different.