AFL announces 7 year, 4.5billion (642m pa) media deal

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
WookieReturns
Captain
Captain
Posts: 574
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:22 am
Team: Carlton
Location:
Has thanked: 22 times
Been liked: 99 times
Contact:

AFL announces 7 year, 4.5billion (642m pa) media deal

Post by WookieReturns »



it is a seven-year partnership from 2025 to the end of the 2031 season. 

The AFL continues to have full control of the production of the fixture, including the scheduling time of the AFL Grand Final. This is important to continue to provide fans certainty and ensuring the right mix of match ups and timeslots.

Broadcast live and free nationally on the Seven Network and 7+ digital will be AFL on Thursday nights, Friday nights, selected Saturday nights, Sunday afternoons, Marquee matches, the Brownlow Medal, all AFL Finals and the AFL Grand Final.

The first 15 rounds of the AFL Premiership Season to feature Thursday night matches on the Seven Network and 7+ digital

Saturday night matches in the last eight rounds

All marquee matches will be live and free (Dreamtime, Anzac Eve, Anzac Day, Good Friday, Easter Monday and Queen’s Birthday) plus at least three additional marquee matches - such as the season opener and Queen’s Birthday Eve.

Broadcast live on Foxtel and Kayo will be every single AFL / AFLW home and away match, every AFL / AFLW final (excluding the AFL Grand Final), all pre-season matches – and all with their own Fox Footy commentary teams. Foxtel / Kayo will also broadcast all AFL events including the AFL draft and Awards nights (excluding the Brownlow).

Foxtel / Kayo will own Saturday in the first eight rounds of each AFL season, broadcasting exclusively live all games in all timeslots, which the exception of Anzac Eve, Anzac Day and Dreamtime if they were to fall on a Saturday.

We acknowledge Foxtel’s investment in Kayo to bring the leading sports streaming product to all Australians – and we are witnessing the growth every week.

Outside Victoria, the match involving the local team will be broadcast live into the local market on the Seven Network and 7+ digital except for selected matches on holdbacks.

At least 30 NAB AFLW home and away games, AFLW finals and the AFLW grand final will be live and free on the Seven Network and 7+ digital with local market substitution rules. ALL NAB AFLW matches and events will also be broadcast on Foxtel and Kayo.

All Free to Air games mirrored and available on 7+ digital in all local markets.

In addition, our partnership with Telstra is extending and by the end of this agreement we will have celebrated 30 years with Telstra as our digital and technology partner, connecting fans to the game they love anywhere, anytime on any platform.

Through this new deal Telstra will be building on their investment into Marvel Stadium and extending into innovation and our digital offerings through the AFL / AFLW apps and all 18 clubs’ websites.
User avatar
leeroy*NRL*
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6342
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:54 pm
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Location: Gold Coast
Has thanked: 220 times
Been liked: 67 times

Re: AFL announces 7 year, 4.5billion (642m pa) media deal

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Wookie would you agree Tasmania is a lock and ready to go now

I recan the Tv deal includes Tasmania's entry
with entry in 2026 approx
User avatar
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Posts: 1829
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:20 pm
Team: North Melbourne
Location: Melbourne
Has thanked: 45 times
Been liked: 120 times

Re: AFL announces 7 year, 4.5billion (642m pa) media deal

Post by Quolls2019 »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:27 am
Wookie would you agree Tasmania is a lock and ready to go now

I recan the Tv deal includes Tasmania's entry
with entry in 2026 approx
With a VFL team in 23 or 24.
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
Fred
Coach
Coach
Posts: 9340
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:13 am
Team: Collingwood
Location: Gold Coast
Has thanked: 98 times
Been liked: 156 times

Re: AFL announces 7 year, 4.5billion (642m pa) media deal

Post by Fred »

Will not be a VFL team in 23. No where near enough time I would think.
Veni, vidi, vici
User avatar
leeroy*NRL*
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6342
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:54 pm
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Location: Gold Coast
Has thanked: 220 times
Been liked: 67 times

Re: AFL announces 7 year, 4.5billion (642m pa) media deal

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Quolls2019 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:43 am
leeroy*NRL* wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:27 am
Wookie would you agree Tasmania is a lock and ready to go now

I recan the Tv deal includes Tasmania's entry
with entry in 2026 approx
With a VFL team in 23 or 24.
relocation ?
I still think it will be a a new team all together,
aligned with the new stadium for entry
Fred
Coach
Coach
Posts: 9340
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:13 am
Team: Collingwood
Location: Gold Coast
Has thanked: 98 times
Been liked: 156 times

Re: AFL announces 7 year, 4.5billion (642m pa) media deal

Post by Fred »

I think relocation is the best bet - but will really need to be a Tassie team not a transplant - what I am saying is I think North are done so their best bet is to move to Tassie - take on the Tassie name - keep the Kangaroos - although the Devils would be fantastic - maintain the theme song with obvious adjustments. Will the other AFL clubs let this happen though?
Veni, vidi, vici
User avatar
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Posts: 1829
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:20 pm
Team: North Melbourne
Location: Melbourne
Has thanked: 45 times
Been liked: 120 times

Re: AFL announces 7 year, 4.5billion (642m pa) media deal

Post by Quolls2019 »

Fred wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:49 am
I think relocation is the best bet - but will really need to be a Tassie team not a transplant - what I am saying is I think North are done so their best bet is to move to Tassie - take on the Tassie name - keep the Kangaroos - although the Devils would be fantastic - maintain the theme song with obvious adjustments. Will the other AFL clubs let this happen though?
Absolutely no way there will be a relocated side in tassie.
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
Fred
Coach
Coach
Posts: 9340
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:13 am
Team: Collingwood
Location: Gold Coast
Has thanked: 98 times
Been liked: 156 times

Re: AFL announces 7 year, 4.5billion (642m pa) media deal

Post by Fred »

Quolls2019 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:56 am
Fred wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:49 am
I think relocation is the best bet - but will really need to be a Tassie team not a transplant - what I am saying is I think North are done so their best bet is to move to Tassie - take on the Tassie name - keep the Kangaroos - although the Devils would be fantastic - maintain the theme song with obvious adjustments. Will the other AFL clubs let this happen though?
Absolutely no way there will be a relocated side in tassie.
Yes, I am hearing you - the locals do not want this - but it may be a compromise they have to have. I don't like the idea of a 19th team either. I think for me to be happy, North fold :). Tassie get to pick the players from that team of course - but it is Tassie Devils. I don't think other club presidents will go for North folding however.
Veni, vidi, vici
User avatar
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Posts: 1829
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:20 pm
Team: North Melbourne
Location: Melbourne
Has thanked: 45 times
Been liked: 120 times

Re: AFL announces 7 year, 4.5billion (642m pa) media deal

Post by Quolls2019 »

Fred wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:08 am
Quolls2019 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:56 am
Fred wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:49 am
I think relocation is the best bet - but will really need to be a Tassie team not a transplant - what I am saying is I think North are done so their best bet is to move to Tassie - take on the Tassie name - keep the Kangaroos - although the Devils would be fantastic - maintain the theme song with obvious adjustments. Will the other AFL clubs let this happen though?
Absolutely no way there will be a relocated side in tassie.
Yes, I am hearing you - the locals do not want this - but it may be a compromise they have to have. I don't like the idea of a 19th team either. I think for me to be happy, North fold :). Tassie get to pick the players from that team of course - but it is Tassie Devils. I don't think other club presidents will go for North folding however.
None of the Victorian sides will fold, or move. They are all financially viable and just got more so.
A 20th side is the go just a matter of where and when.
I would think towards the end of the new deal….at the very latest the start of the next broadcast deal.
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
Fred
Coach
Coach
Posts: 9340
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:13 am
Team: Collingwood
Location: Gold Coast
Has thanked: 98 times
Been liked: 156 times

Re: AFL announces 7 year, 4.5billion (642m pa) media deal

Post by Fred »

Yes, 20th side- that will be interesting. Will they go with conferences - kind is like that now anyway. AFL tends to like high growth/population areas - hence why Tassie has not been earlier and so much discussion as to whether it happens or not. I am thinking Canberra needs its own team at some stage - more support there for aussie rules then Western sydney it appears. This will also allow GWS to focus on Western Sydney and build a brand. Maybe the Newcastle area as a regional team - akin to Geelong. it has identity and people can get behind it as their team (I think this is where the GWS falls down - it really doesn't seem people identify this as a "region" per se so no real connexion. Maybe have been better to pick a suburb I feel - but then do you alienate the rest.
Veni, vidi, vici
User avatar
leeroy*NRL*
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6342
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:54 pm
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Location: Gold Coast
Has thanked: 220 times
Been liked: 67 times

Re: AFL announces 7 year, 4.5billion (642m pa) media deal

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Fred wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:44 am
Yes, 20th side- that will be interesting. Will they go with conferences - kind is like that now anyway. AFL tends to like high growth/population areas - hence why Tassie has not been earlier and so much discussion as to whether it happens or not. I am thinking Canberra needs its own team at some stage - more support there for aussie rules then Western sydney it appears. This will also allow GWS to focus on Western Sydney and build a brand. Maybe the Newcastle area as a regional team - akin to Geelong. it has identity and people can get behind it as their team (I think this is where the GWS falls down - it really doesn't seem people identify this as a "region" per se so no real connexion. Maybe have been better to pick a suburb I feel - but then do you alienate the rest.
Canberra is the go i recan,

Canberra Population is 460k
and is mostly in the metro area.

bigger than Geelong
Bigger than Darwin
540k in Tasmania (but more spread out)

GWS back to Sydney.
Fred
Coach
Coach
Posts: 9340
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:13 am
Team: Collingwood
Location: Gold Coast
Has thanked: 98 times
Been liked: 156 times

Re: AFL announces 7 year, 4.5billion (642m pa) media deal

Post by Fred »

agree 0 may provide the opportunity to rebrand as well for GWS,
Veni, vidi, vici
User avatar
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Posts: 1829
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:20 pm
Team: North Melbourne
Location: Melbourne
Has thanked: 45 times
Been liked: 120 times

Re: AFL announces 7 year, 4.5billion (642m pa) media deal

Post by Quolls2019 »

Fred wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:44 am
Yes, 20th side- that will be interesting. Will they go with conferences - kind is like that now anyway. AFL tends to like high growth/population areas - hence why Tassie has not been earlier and so much discussion as to whether it happens or not. I am thinking Canberra needs its own team at some stage - more support there for aussie rules then Western sydney it appears. This will also allow GWS to focus on Western Sydney and build a brand. Maybe the Newcastle area as a regional team - akin to Geelong. it has identity and people can get behind it as their team (I think this is where the GWS falls down - it really doesn't seem people identify this as a "region" per se so no real connexion. Maybe have been better to pick a suburb I feel - but then do you alienate the rest.
No need for conferences, it would have an effect on crowd sizes for blockbusters and how would they be determined?.

I agree that the fixture is not even at present, but set conferences would only make that more so.

22 sides the way to go….eventually.
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
User avatar
leeroy*NRL*
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6342
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:54 pm
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Location: Gold Coast
Has thanked: 220 times
Been liked: 67 times

Re: AFL announces 7 year, 4.5billion (642m pa) media deal

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Industry sources insist the genuine annual payment the AFL will receive from Seven and Fox is $550m
Not $643m
Built into the deal is money from Telstra for the AFL-owned Marvel Stadium, plus contra

any idea how much Telstra is paying
or Contra is worth, looks to be quite huge?
User avatar
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Posts: 1829
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:20 pm
Team: North Melbourne
Location: Melbourne
Has thanked: 45 times
Been liked: 120 times

Re: AFL announces 7 year, 4.5billion (642m pa) media deal

Post by Quolls2019 »

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/subscr ... our=append

Did Nine bid include sacrificing the NRL?
Nine denies it considered dropping the NRL when it made an audacious 11th-hour bid for the AFL broadcast rights. But sources say the AFL pitch provoked an intriguing conversation.

Sorry don't have the full article. But it would've interesting to see what would happen if 9 had won the rights.
In fact both other bids would be interesting to see.
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot], Bing [Bot] and 0 guests