AFL Finals 2022

Australian Football news and discussion.
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Re: AFL Finals 2022

Post by Fred »

Think the finals will rate well as a whole - usually do. How they rate in Brisbane will be interesting. There is a niche market no doubt but I think the bandwagon jumpers may be less this year as thinking the Lions may not do so well.
Veni, vidi, vici
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Post by TLPG »

Quolls2019 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:54 am
TLPG wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:56 am
It lasted three seasons, not one. 1898 to 1900.
After reading my post, it was not clear that I meant it only lasted until 1900.
So, in this instance, I agree with what you are saying.
There is one year where the “wooden spooner” team won the premiership.
Yes that was 1916 when there were only four teams.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Quolls2019 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:07 pm
leeroy*NRL* wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:26 am
I see no problem with Lions being on the Thursday.

It is the smallest stadium this 1st round of finals.
they should get 30k

Saturday prob ruled the lions out with
Bronx playing at 5:30
Cows playing at 7:30
Lions have competed against both on 19/8, against the Broncos & Titans on 11/6 and against the Broncos on 10/7, didn’t seem to have a lot of influence on the Lions.

To me an odd decision.
true, the ratings were not really that high..
abit different leading into finals.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

I'm guessing no sunday match as Father's Day?

Good to see Lions and Swans on main channel. Guessing it should rate a bit better than if on secondary channel.
Veni, vidi, vici
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Quolls2019 »

Fred wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:52 am
I'm guessing no sunday match as Father's Day?

Good to see Lions and Swans on main channel. Guessing it should rate a bit better than if on secondary channel.
Maybe…although I thought it would be a good fathers day present..on the couch with a few stubbys watch the footy all day
Perhaps because of a fair break required for next weeks game or the amount of regional grand finals, maybe all or none of the above.

I can't understand the secondary channel lower ratings, isn't just a press of the remote?
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

It'll be the fair break, Quolls. Most regional GF's are being played on Saturday - and in fact the Bellarine FL had to move theirs from 2:30pm to 1:30pm to avoid the clash with the Geelong/Collingwood game.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

WOW!!!

What a game between the Lions and Richmond! Although I think the Tigers may have a right to be peeved after the ARC picked off a behind without much evidence from what I could tell over ruling the soft call by the goal umpire. Could be interesting!
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Thought Tigers played better for most of the night - but only just. These games are a toss of the coin in the end - a mistake here, a bad call there … just the way it goes!
Veni, vidi, vici
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Quolls2019 »

Fred wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:41 pm
Thought Tigers played better for most of the night - but only just. These games are a toss of the coin in the end - a mistake here, a bad call there … just the way it goes!
Was good..I thought a couple of free kicks could've gone Brisbane's way but they won…crowd picked up quickly..there is a couple of small sections they seemed to be only half full, members?
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Yes, likely. Remembering that many of the corporate areas have seating in the stands and viewing points inside at the bar. So often, people are in their whilst their seat is vacant. Of course, you also get the odd amount who have tickets and do not turn up and members who do not go, Always the case.
Veni, vidi, vici
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Indeed, was thinking this last night whilst watching the Lions beat the Dees. Imagine, wow. Would be huge and emotional for so many fans new and old.

How good has this finals series been thus far. Loving it.
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Not a chance - Geelong will be there- they’ll pump the Lions next week. Wonder if they’ll play it at Geelong ?

Collingwood win today and it’s off to Sydney - another sell-out if the SCG I would think. That could go either way?

Here’s a thought though - imagine the travesty of freo and Brisbane in the grand final - two average teams - one part of me would like it to highlight the folly of a finals system that values 4 weeks of play over a whole season - another part of me would be disinterested. I don’t think I’d even watch it to be honest.
Veni, vidi, vici
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Fred wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:26 am
Not a chance - Geelong will be there- they’ll pump the Lions next week. Wonder if they’ll play it at Geelong ?
Not many would have rated the Lions a chance last week or last night too. Surely game against Cats would not be played at reduced capacity in Geelong?

Collingwood win today and it’s off to Sydney - another sell-out if the SCG I would think. That could go either way?
No doubt it’ll be a sellout in Sydney against Pies or Dockers. Pies would have me a little more nervous, but still think Swans could beat them to progress to the GF.

Here’s a thought though - imagine the travesty of freo and Brisbane in the grand final - two average teams - one part of me would like it to highlight the folly of a finals system that values 4 weeks of play over a whole season - another part of me would be disinterested. I don’t think I’d even watch it to be honest.
Honestly, the top 8 teams this year have all deserved their places I reckon, and finals is all about going to that next level of intensity and desperation. The pre finals week off I have come around to thinking is great for the finals series. This finals series has been wonderful to watch thus far. Anyones game on the day.

Imagine waking up a Dees supporter this morning after the glory of last year and hopes of seeing it repeated at home at the G. Heartbreaking, but that’s finals. We have all felt that pain and sadness in the finals that’s for sure.
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Prefer the soccer way where they celerbrate the best team as who is the best of the season is who finishes atop. But it is what it is. Often the best team in the year does not win the grand final. By all means have an end of year knock out comp (which is how I view finals) but the team that is consistent across the year amd finishes on top is clearly the best team.
Veni, vidi, vici