Tasmania

Australian Football news and discussion.
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Posts: 3478
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 9:15 pm
Team: MYOB
Location: MYOB
Has thanked: 18 times
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Tasmania

Post by TLPG »

West Coast's issues were caused solely by COVID. It doesn't matter what their financial position is if their list management is up cow manure creek. Tassie is interested - but only in their own club and they need it to prop up the game as a whole down there. The AFL has the final say and if it's relocated club, that's what it is.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
User avatar
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Posts: 1693
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:20 pm
Team: North Melbourne
Location: Melbourne
Has thanked: 41 times
Been liked: 105 times

Re: Tasmania

Post by Quolls2019 »

TLPG wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:46 pm
West Coast's issues were caused solely by COVID. It doesn't matter what their financial position is if their list management is up cow manure creek. Tassie is interested - but only in their own club and they need it to prop up the game as a whole down there. The AFL has the final say and if it's relocated club, that's what it is.
Relocation will not happen,
West Coast initial issues were covid related, but they did not improve greatly after that.
Most teams have a poor period over time, and I think both north and west coasts will continue beyond next year, but again relocation will not happen to Tasmania for many reasons, but the major one is that there is no long term profit in it for the AFL.
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Posts: 3478
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 9:15 pm
Team: MYOB
Location: MYOB
Has thanked: 18 times
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Tasmania

Post by TLPG »

Oh I think the Eagles did actually. Pretty sure they'll be back in the mix in 2023.

And I disagree on the profit comment. There will be profit long term because of the rebirth of the game down there.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
User avatar
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Posts: 1693
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:20 pm
Team: North Melbourne
Location: Melbourne
Has thanked: 41 times
Been liked: 105 times

Re: Tasmania

Post by Quolls2019 »

TLPG wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:11 pm
Oh I think the Eagles did actually. Pretty sure they'll be back in the mix in 2023.

And I disagree on the profit comment. There will be profit long term because of the rebirth of the game down there.
I disagree.
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Posts: 3478
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 9:15 pm
Team: MYOB
Location: MYOB
Has thanked: 18 times
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Tasmania

Post by TLPG »

And that's your providence to do so. Agreeing to disagree.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
User avatar
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Posts: 1693
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:20 pm
Team: North Melbourne
Location: Melbourne
Has thanked: 41 times
Been liked: 105 times

Re: Tasmania

Post by Quolls2019 »

TLPG wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:26 pm
And that's your providence to do so. Agreeing to disagree.
As long as I have your permission, all is well.
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Posts: 3478
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 9:15 pm
Team: MYOB
Location: MYOB
Has thanked: 18 times
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Tasmania

Post by TLPG »

LOL! Permission? No need!
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
WookieReturns
Seniors
Seniors
Posts: 487
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:22 am
Team: Carlton
Location:
Has thanked: 17 times
Been liked: 87 times
Contact:

Re: Tasmania

Post by WookieReturns »

TLPG wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:29 pm


I think they'll find cause if they want to, and I suspect they will. It won't be in the finances. It will be in list management.

Here's what I think will happen, if the AFL finds that cause that is (and yes that's not a guarantee);

Tell North Melbourne that they have to go to Tasmania but they can stay in Melbourne if;
a) They accept a priority draft pick and;
b) They trade both that pick and the original first pick for experienced players (that's what they need right now)

Now there is a pretty good chance they will do that - but suppose they refuse thinking rebuilding with young players is the way to go? Uh uh - it's not when they don't have experience to carry the load. The competition is all about balance, and North is threatening that right now unless they get their house in order. No coach can fill that gap - not even Clarkson.
No one is going to go anywhere for list management. You cant threaten a license for playing badly. It has to be financial or insolvency. North are currently not either.

And the clubs still have to approve of any relocation or license stripping. And the clubs wont go for this.
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Posts: 3478
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 9:15 pm
Team: MYOB
Location: MYOB
Has thanked: 18 times
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Tasmania

Post by TLPG »

They will go for it if it threatens the balance of the competition, and consequently crowd numbers which is a big threat to one's bottom line - especially right now post two terrible seasons because of the pandemic. North are playing badly because their players primarily aren't ready for AFL football. Some are but their list is too short - way too short. I disagree that it HAS to be purely financial. That's way too narrow minded for the situation.

Tasmania need a team. The game needs a team in Tasmania. And the only way they'll get it is via relocation, not a 19th team. If there's anything the 18 clubs won't go for it's that.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
WookieReturns
Seniors
Seniors
Posts: 487
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:22 am
Team: Carlton
Location:
Has thanked: 17 times
Been liked: 87 times
Contact:

Re: Tasmania

Post by WookieReturns »

TLPG wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:49 am
They will go for it if it threatens the balance of the competition, and consequently crowd numbers which is a big threat to one's bottom line - especially right now post two terrible seasons because of the pandemic. North are playing badly because their players primarily aren't ready for AFL football. Some are but their list is too short - way too short. I disagree that it HAS to be purely financial. That's way too narrow minded for the situation.

Tasmania need a team. The game needs a team in Tasmania. And the only way they'll get it is via relocation, not a 19th team. If there's anything the 18 clubs won't go for it's that.
If its not financial then it has no chance of happening. No club is being relocated for poor list management. Thats just ridiculous, and probably outside the constitutional remit of the AFL Commission.
User avatar
leeroy*NRL*
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6274
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:54 pm
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Location: Gold Coast
Has thanked: 208 times
Been liked: 65 times

Re: Tasmania

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

I see Tasmania being granted the 19th license.
this would lift the profile of the game in the state and along with that
it would lift the grassroots of local clubs therefore increasing playing talent.

imagen a list of majority Tasmanian players.

the year of entry however is hard to judge.

AFL and CLUBS would be looking at where the 20th teams comes from
as that is another interesting topic.
Fred
Coach
Coach
Posts: 9093
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:13 am
Team: Collingwood
Location: Gold Coast
Has thanked: 87 times
Been liked: 142 times

Re: Tasmania

Post by Fred »

Think the profile of Aussie rules is pretty high in Tassie :)
Veni, vidi, vici
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Posts: 3478
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 9:15 pm
Team: MYOB
Location: MYOB
Has thanked: 18 times
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Tasmania

Post by TLPG »

Fred wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:44 pm
Think the profile of Aussie rules is pretty high in Tassie :)
It's in trouble. Big trouble. Players aren't being recruited to the AFL and instead of playing in the TFL as they should be they go to the mainland to play VFL or SANFL. And the Hawks and the Kangaroos aren't helping by playing games down there. Tasmanians know it and the only solution is their own team in order to rekindle waning interest.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Posts: 3478
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 9:15 pm
Team: MYOB
Location: MYOB
Has thanked: 18 times
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Tasmania

Post by TLPG »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:11 pm
I see Tasmania being granted the 19th license.
Won't happen. The current 18 clubs want nothing to do with it no matter what. It's relocation, merger of two Melbourne clubs (not happening either) or no Tassie.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Posts: 3478
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 9:15 pm
Team: MYOB
Location: MYOB
Has thanked: 18 times
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Tasmania

Post by TLPG »

Gone wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:41 am
TLPG wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:49 am
They will go for it if it threatens the balance of the competition, and consequently crowd numbers which is a big threat to one's bottom line - especially right now post two terrible seasons because of the pandemic. North are playing badly because their players primarily aren't ready for AFL football. Some are but their list is too short - way too short. I disagree that it HAS to be purely financial. That's way too narrow minded for the situation.

Tasmania need a team. The game needs a team in Tasmania. And the only way they'll get it is via relocation, not a 19th team. If there's anything the 18 clubs won't go for it's that.
If its not financial then it has no chance of happening. No club is being relocated for poor list management. Thats just ridiculous, and probably outside the constitutional remit of the AFL Commission.
It's not ridiculous when the list management is so incredibly bad that is affects the club in all respects short term and long term. And I very much doubt there is such a restriction in the AFL Constitution. The terms of losing a license would be flexible by default. The term "unviable" is not limited to immediate financial considerations. It has to go wider than that in all respects of the running of the club in the present day. That includes list management.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest