GABBA Redevelopment

Australian Football news and discussion.
azif
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Albury Thunder
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 5 times

Re: GABBA Redevelopment

Post by azif »

Fred wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:13 pm
Agreed - pipe dream I think. My view is the GABA needs redevelopment anyway - at some time it has to happen. I’m thi king why not do it now and get it done with added funds accessed through Fed Gov re Olympics? I think if the GABA development doesn’t go ahead it will leave Brisbane as a backwater - right when it is on the precipice of actually becoming a major town. I’m thinking if they are fluffing around at this stage this Olympics will go down as being the beginning of the end aka Gold Coast and the commonwealth games …. Well maybe not that bad - but seriously - Brisbane needs a major stadium like the Gabba - and need it state if the art.
It got a major upgrade for the sydney olympics , so less then 25 years ago. A bit of lipstick is all it needs atm & thats all it should get. Coates Idea of suncorp for about 650 mill is the most likely idea to get up.
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

azif wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:31 am
Fred wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:13 pm
Agreed - pipe dream I think. My view is the GABA needs redevelopment anyway - at some time it has to happen. I’m thi king why not do it now and get it done with added funds accessed through Fed Gov re Olympics? I think if the GABA development doesn’t go ahead it will leave Brisbane as a backwater - right when it is on the precipice of actually becoming a major town. I’m thinking if they are fluffing around at this stage this Olympics will go down as being the beginning of the end aka Gold Coast and the commonwealth games …. Well maybe not that bad - but seriously - Brisbane needs a major stadium like the Gabba - and need it state if the art.
It got a major upgrade for the sydney olympics , so less then 25 years ago. A bit of lipstick is all it needs atm & thats all it should get. Coates Idea of suncorp for about 650 mill is the most likely idea to get up.

Well, we will have to wait and see - and even then - who is to say they don't change their mind - although time running out.
Veni, vidi, vici
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

it is actually not a bad idea.
reminds me of how Melbourne's Sporting precinct is..

though this would cost an absolute monster to build

way over 2.7bill
your prob looking at 7 to 10 billion LOL

Greenspace it shall remain..
will suit QLD
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

So no Gabba redevelopment in review, that recommends new 50,000 seat Olympic stadium at Victoria Park.

azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

Beaussie wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm
So no Gabba redevelopment in review, that recommends new 50,000 seat Olympic stadium at Victoria Park.

won't happen
Suncorp... to be turned into a 65K seater for about 500 mill
opening ceremony there
closing on the Brisbane river
Gabba to stay as is for cricket & .. minor sports like afl :cool:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

azif wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:53 pm

won't happen
opening ceremony there
If that’s the case, what a shame and embarrassment for the world to see. A tarted up rectangular stadium for an Opening Ceremony lol. Wouldn’t be surprised though, it is Queensland after all.
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

IOC needs to approve any changes but this is all having a feeling of a disaster and possibly the beginning of the end of the Olympics - as we know it anyway. I think it will head toward just being on the one city every 4 years at some stage. I’d like to say Athens but that country is a mess.
Veni, vidi, vici
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

Beaussie wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:17 pm
azif wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:53 pm

won't happen
opening ceremony there
If that’s the case, what a shame and embarrassment for the world to see. A tarted up rectangular stadium for an Opening Ceremony lol. Wouldn’t be surprised though, it is Queensland after all.
thinking outside the box is what it is
theres no events at an opening ceremony , why does it need to be at an oval or circle venue ?

thats right
it doesn't :cool:
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Doesn’t worry me one way or another - just has disaster and cluster f..ck written all over it thus far.

They are going to have to upgrade the GABBA I hear anyway (why I don’t know - seems fine to me), at least this way they get a lot of Fed funds. I think there have been a few factors- 1 people don’t care too much for the Olympics and don’t like that much money going on sport when there is a health and housing issue going on. 2. Inner city yuppies not wanting their school to be relocated - a lot of rich yuppies having a lot of influence I suspect . And 3. But to a lesser extent - code war crap where people see it as some how an advantage to AFl - and with all that there is an election coming so anything unpopular gets attention. If this was the first year of a government none of this would even be being considered I feel. I think you’ll the Brisbane test lost / has been on the edge for a while and people in high places will be wanting to punish someone. I’d like to know the odds of it not going ahead … but no one else wanted it so??? Maybe you’ll see Melbourne and Sydney jump n and help and it will be the Australian Olympics? Surfing in 2024 is in Tahiti so ?? A French province and beautiful (berm there and going back) but does show doesn’t have to be in close proximity to host city.

Be interesting if ratings are crap for Paris (when is it again) and if poor how that impacts on things going forward.
Veni, vidi, vici
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

The independent review that Miles commissioned, and gave former Liberal lord mayor Graham Quirk responsibility to deliver, will seemingly swap one politically tricky mega-project for another.

The Gabba rebuild, costed at $2.7 billion, will be portrayed as a poorly considered and difficult-to-deliver thought bubble. Brisbane Times understands Quirk and his team will recommend the stadium initially be kept, at least until after the 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games, but ultimately be
demolished as urban renewal sweeps through
Woolloongabba.

Under the Quirk vision, Brisbane would instead have a new, 50,000-seat oval stadium - for the Games and, in future, cricket and AFL - at Victoria Park in Herston. More seats could be added later.

If this Victoria Park idea doesn’t get the go ahead, just give the games to a city with a proven record of how it’s done properly. Sydney it is 😉
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Beaussie wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:02 pm
The independent review that Miles commissioned, and gave former Liberal lord mayor Graham Quirk responsibility to deliver, will seemingly swap one politically tricky mega-project for another.

The Gabba rebuild, costed at $2.7 billion, will be portrayed as a poorly considered and difficult-to-deliver thought bubble. Brisbane Times understands Quirk and his team will recommend the stadium initially be kept, at least until after the 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games, but ultimately be
demolished as urban renewal sweeps through
Woolloongabba.

Under the Quirk vision, Brisbane would instead have a new, 50,000-seat oval stadium - for the Games and, in future, cricket and AFL - at Victoria Park in Herston. More seats could be added later.

If this Victoria Park idea doesn’t get the go ahead, just give the games to a city with a proven record of how it’s done properly. Sydney it is 😉

Think Melbourne had it before Sydney - and have the infrastructure and a colosseum known around the world to go with it. Not to memtion mostly close to town and close together and public transport to support it all

:)
Veni, vidi, vici
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Apparently the new proposal at Victoria Park will cost more than the GABBA redevelopment? Been reading lots of opinions on ABC insta - apparently the plan is to build a new afl/Cricke ground at Victoria Parlk and eventually demolish the GABBA and sell the prime real estate off. People are saying that is a good deal for afl and cricket as allow the Gabba to be used until new stadium is built?

And the new proposal / stadium is reported to be more expensive than the redevelopment??

Thoughts?
Veni, vidi, vici
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

I didn’t realise this Victoria Park thing has the backing of the Lions’s CEO. He thinks it great and says the Lions would relocate there.
Veni, vidi, vici
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

so
lemme get this straight

gabba redevelopment
2.7 billion for 50K venue
reaction
thats way too much for way too little

ok ok
we will start an expensive review & see what else we can come up with

ok guys this is what we have come up with
a 50K venue
for more then 4 billion

8-[

:-k

:hmm:

:lol: :wink: :wink: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Quolls2019 »

azif wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:07 am
so
lemme get this straight

gabba redevelopment
2.7 billion for 50K venue
reaction
thats way too much for way too little

ok ok
we will start an expensive review & see what else we can come up with

ok guys this is what we have come up with
a 50K venue
for more then 4 billion

8-[

:-k

:hmm:

:lol: :wink: :wink: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/
An interesting proposal if accurate, maybe the think that they can get big $ for the Gabba and surrounds.
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.