GABBA Redevelopment

Australian Football news and discussion.
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Re: GABBA Redevelopment

Post by Fred »

azif wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:43 am
Now watch the master PVL & how he will use this new Suncorp to his & the NRL's advantage

QLD want the GF , they now have a bigger venue that can provide ticket revenue to match Accor & the QLD govt will trump up the cash

NSW obviously want it too ,
PVL to the NSW Govt ..... how much do you want it ?
badly mr PVL sir ..
Ok , then we will revisit the Stadium situation in Sydney , get the deal I had been promised done , & we will sign a long term deal instead of a year to year one.
Think you may be right. Got to give V’landys his credit - doing a great job - but will he still be there ?
Veni, vidi, vici
azif
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Albury Thunder
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 5 times

Post by azif »

Fred wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:46 am
azif wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:43 am
Now watch the master PVL & how he will use this new Suncorp to his & the NRL's advantage

QLD want the GF , they now have a bigger venue that can provide ticket revenue to match Accor & the QLD govt will trump up the cash

NSW obviously want it too ,
PVL to the NSW Govt ..... how much do you want it ?
badly mr PVL sir ..
Ok , then we will revisit the Stadium situation in Sydney , get the deal I had been promised done , & we will sign a long term deal instead of a year to year one.
Think you may be right. Got to give V’landys his credit - doing a great job - but will he still be there ?
He's beginning the transition to leave , might be a few more years
theres things he wants to get done before he goes

Expansion & TV deal certainly
plus as i said above , He will want to deliver on his promise for those stadiums in Sydney
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

azif wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:44 pm
Fred wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:43 pm
azif wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:02 pm
https://www.thebrisbaneolympics.com.au/ ... -olympics/

Suncorp's western grand stand ( which is actually the old grandstand from pre 2003) will be demolished & redone in the same configuration as the rest of the stadium for about $1 billion
capacity of the venue will increase to between 62,500 & 65,000

magnificent news for rectangle sports in Brisbane
Didn't it also say in the article you posted that a billion will be spent on the Gabba to make it a viable venue post 2032?

Also - is the athletics going to happen at Mount Gravatt now - with new seating to 40000? Why not have the opening ceremony there as well if so? Seems a bit of a dog's breakfast to me but these things usually come through all right in the end. Is the Gabba being used at all?
a billion to make it viable post 2032 ?
that amount of money is not required & won't pass muster for a venue that now won't even be involved in the olympics , it will get some work done , some modernising , but not much else . Plus the Broncos will be there for a couple of years while Suncorp is being done up

Mt Gravatt , the QEII stadium is not where the opening ceremony should or will be under any circumstances , they want that in the centre of the city near the River .. Lang Park :cool:
From what I read, it states there is 1 billion left over which will be spent between Lanfg Park and the Gabba - 50/50.

Mr Miles said that if the upgrades cost $1 billion, it would still leave "in the order of a billion dollars" to be splurged, "roughly half-half" between upgrading Lang Park and the Gabba.
Veni, vidi, vici
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

Fred wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:05 pm
Fred wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:43 pm

Didn't it also say in the article you posted that a billion will be spent on the Gabba to make it a viable venue post 2032?

Also - is the athletics going to happen at Mount Gravatt now - with new seating to 40000? Why not have the opening ceremony there as well if so? Seems a bit of a dog's breakfast to me but these things usually come through all right in the end. Is the Gabba being used at all?
that amount of money is not required & won't pass muster for a venue that now won't even be involved in the olympics , it will get some work done , some modernising , but not much else . Plus the Broncos will be there for a couple of years while Suncorp is being done up

Mt Gravatt , the QEII stadium is not where the opening ceremony should or will be under any circumstances , they want that in the centre of the city near the River .. Lang Park :cool:
From what I read, it states there is 1 billion left over which will be spent between Lanfg Park and the Gabba - 50/50.

Mr Miles said that if the upgrades cost $1 billion, it would still leave "in the order of a billion dollars" to be splurged, "roughly half-half" between upgrading Lang Park and the Gabba.
roughly ?
haha

it'll be 80/20 to the venue hosting the Olympic games :cool:
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

azif wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:39 pm

roughly ?
haha

Where did you read that ?

Also, I think the closing and opening ceremonies are only at Suncorp - I think the QEII stadium is to host athletics - Gabba hosting the cricket - naturally. Seems all very peicemeal at the moment and very disorganised. Not sure which venue is classed as hosting - the opening and closing ceremony or the athletics ground - as have tradionally been one in the same.

Lions, whilst wanting the new stadium (I’m guessing cricket Australia /Bulls too) will be happy that they don’t have to relocate - for them the worst case was likely the rebuilding as displaced for several years. They get half a billion spent on sprucing the place up and improved transport with the cross-river rail. But it is just kicking the ball down the road as apparently it will need a total rebuild at some stage post 2030 apparently - maybe they’ll do it a peice at a time like they have done with the MCG?

Suncorp also get a tidy up and possibly some extra seating for a win for that stadium. Think the billions spent on the QE2 stadium is terrible however - a waste of money as is in a terrible spot and will reduce back to 14000 capacity following Olympics - no lasting legacy.

Somehow I don’t think k this is the end of it all. New government likely in October - but they can say it is all too late - and IOC have to tick it off.

Either way you look at it - not too many people happy with the QE2 idea at all.
Veni, vidi, vici
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

What a shitshow. I guess this is what happens when a big country town wants to host an international event.

Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

A shit show is about right.
Veni, vidi, vici
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

Fred wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:51 pm

roughly ?
haha

Also, I think the closing and opening ceremonies are only at Suncorp - I think the QEII stadium is to host athletics - Gabba hosting the cricket - naturally. Seems all very peicemeal at the moment and very disorganised. Not sure which venue is classed as hosting - the opening and closing ceremony or the athletics ground - as have tradionally been one in the same.

Lions, whilst wanting the new stadium (I’m guessing cricket Australia /Bulls too) will be happy that they don’t have to relocate - for them the worst case was likely the rebuilding as displaced for several years. They get half a billion spent on sprucing the place up and improved transport with the cross-river rail. But it is just kicking the ball down the road as apparently it will need a total rebuild at some stage post 2030 apparently - maybe they’ll do it a peice at a time like they have done with the MCG?

Suncorp also get a tidy up and possibly some extra seating for a win for that stadium. Think the billions spent on the QE2 stadium is terrible however - a waste of money as is in a terrible spot and will reduce back to 14000 capacity following Olympics - no lasting legacy.

Somehow I don’t think k this is the end of it all. New government likely in October - but they can say it is all too late - and IOC have to tick it off.

im speculating about what they'll spend on a stadium that will showcase the games , Brisbane QLD to 2 billion plus people as opposed to one no one will see

all ive seen is positivity about this decision :cool:
the only ones moaning are pissy pants fumblers, its hilarious :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :(/
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

Beaussie wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:37 pm
What a shitshow. I guess this is what happens when a big country town wants to host an international event.

they won't scrap them , they'll moan to the feds
the feds will stump up whats needed

& the povoh Vicdumbians couldn't even host the Commonwealth games :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :(/
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

azif wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:22 am

roughly ?
haha

im speculating about what they'll spend on a stadium that will showcase the games , Brisbane QLD to 2 billion plus people as opposed to one no one will see

the only ones moaning are pissy pants fumblers, its hilarious :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :(/
I have heard a lot of criticism - not just Aussie Rules- Aussie Rules still fairs well in some regard as don't have to relocate for several years and still get some money spent on the stadium. I really don't think it is a code war type thing although elements of that in part of the community unfortunately. The reality is, Gabba's life is limited and only short-term at best apparently. And Brisbane need such a ground - that's just a reality which ever way you look at it. So a large amount of money is going to have to be spent on either a major rebuild (maybe they do it in parts?) or a new stadium. They could have either done it now with fed funds to assist or will have to do it not long after the Olympics - that is also the reality. I have been to the ground and quite like it - sono issue there - but apparently has major logistical issue or back of house issues. also I hear if built to today it would not be up to code. But at least Lions and Bulls and Heat will not be homeless for several years - one positive I guess - but I think the upgrade at Nathan stadium is a ridiculous waste of money - plus they will have to spend a hell of a lot of money on public transport and access although this will have a lasting impact I guess.

don't think we have heard the end of this. Best thing that could happen is they scrap the olympics as is looking embarrassing. I am sure the IOC is looking on. Of which, they have to approve all of this.
Veni, vidi, vici
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

Fred wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:18 am

I have heard a lot of criticism - not just Aussie Rules- Aussie Rules still fairs well in some regard as don't have to relocate for several years and still get some money spent on the stadium. I really don't think it is a code war type thing although elements of that in part of the community unfortunately. The reality is, Gabba's life is limited and only short-term at best apparently. And Brisbane need such a ground - that's just a reality which ever way you look at it. So a large amount of money is going to have to be spent on either a major rebuild (maybe they do it in parts?) or a new stadium. They could have either done it now with fed funds to assist or will have to do it not long after the Olympics - that is also the reality. I have been to the ground and quite like it - sono issue there - but apparently has major logistical issue or back of house issues. also I hear if built to today it would not be up to code. But at least Lions and Bulls and Heat will not be homeless for several years - one positive I guess - but I think the upgrade at Nathan stadium is a ridiculous waste of money - plus they will have to spend a hell of a lot of money on public transport and access although this will have a lasting impact I guess.

don't think we have heard the end of this. Best thing that could happen is they scrap the olympics as is looking embarrassing. I am sure the IOC is looking on. Of which, they have to approve all of this.
nah , they're all fumblers
pissy their sport is losing its influence , no ones listening

Cricket play one test & a handful of limited over games a year at the Gabba , some lipstick & a pretty dress from the $5 bin is all it needs :cool:
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

azif wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:23 am
Fred wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:18 am

nah , they're all fumblers
pissy their sport is losing its influence , no ones listening

Cricket play one test & a handful of limited over games a year at the Gabba , some lipstick & a pretty dress from the $5 bin is all it needs :cool:
Fair enough
Veni, vidi, vici
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Some pretty strong criticisms - even from RL folk

https://www.news.com.au/sport/olympics/ ... 3f887d2a28

Rugby league broadcaster Phil Gould led the charge writing: “Oh please... it’s the Olympic Games... our country will be on show to the world... build it big and build it special.”

Tennis star John Millman also expressed shock at the plan: “But you’re planning on spending billions on old ones and some temporary seating?

Radio presenter Shane McInnes chimed in: “As it stands right now these are the next three venues to host Athletics at the Olympic Games. 2024 PARIS: Stade de France, 2028 LA: Los Angeles Coliseum, 2032 BRISBANE: Queensland Sport & Athletics Centre. Two are world class venues. One is a joke. Embarrassed [Stephen Miles]?”

And for Beassie:
Sports journalist Mark Gottlieb suggested the “Brisbane” Olympics should instead be held in Sydney, “Don’t have to spend a cent. The perfect Olympics for the Queensland Government,” he wrote sarcastically.

Seriously, I am not sure why they dont have the athletics at Carrara - have had it there before and went well. There is an athletes village going to be placed there and some events anyway?
Veni, vidi, vici
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

Fred wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:51 am

Rugby league broadcaster Phil Gould led the charge writing: “Oh please... it’s the Olympic Games... our country will be on show to the world... build it big and build it special.”

Tennis star John Millman also expressed shock at the plan: “But you’re planning on spending billions on old ones and some temporary seating?

Radio presenter Shane McInnes chimed in: “As it stands right now these are the next three venues to host Athletics at the Olympic Games. 2024 PARIS: Stade de France, 2028 LA: Los Angeles Coliseum, 2032 BRISBANE: Queensland Sport & Athletics Centre. Two are world class venues. One is a joke. Embarrassed [Stephen Miles]?”

And for Beassie:
Sports journalist Mark Gottlieb suggested the “Brisbane” Olympics should instead be held in Sydney, “Don’t have to spend a cent. The perfect Olympics for the Queensland Government,” he wrote sarcastically.

Seriously, I am not sure why they dont have the athletics at Carrara - have had it there before and went well. There is an athletes village going to be placed there and some events anyway?
nah
Gould a loud mouth tosser

great decision for the state of QLD & rectangle sports will be huge beneficiaries
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

azif wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:57 am
Fred wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:51 am

And for Beassie:

nah
Gould a loud mouth tosser

great decision for the state of QLD & rectangle sports will be huge beneficiaries

I don't see how rectangular sports get much either - a bit of an upgrade to Suncorp - which is already a great stadium. Anyway - reading the comments on the articles in the paper (online) seems that not too many are in favour of the temporary Nathan Stadium upgrade. Not to say they are fans of a Gabba rebuild - some are some not - some wanted the Victoria Park option - but in 10 years they will have to upgrade it majorly. So the question is, is it better to spend money now doing this with Fed assistance or to kick the can down the road and do it in 10 years time - at a way larger cost? They are the two options cause doing nothing simply isn't an option - that is the question i would put the Miles - as it is going to happen one way or another - it's not an NRL V AFL thing - it is simply - this has to happen - so when and how are you going to do it.
Veni, vidi, vici