Rugby on Channel 9 / Stan TV Ratings

Super Rugby and International football TV ratings and discussion.
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Re: Rugby on Channel 9 / Stan

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Terry wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:46 pm
leeroy*NRL* wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:20 pm
yep pathetic game, i gave it a good watch was very sub standard quality game.

1st Game of the Season (launch)
biggest two teams
very low numbers..

Be interesting what STAN Sport numbers are and reach mid year
with all the Union and Trans Tasman COMP
Yeah, Stan numbers will be interesting. Do 9 actually put out Stan ratings though?????
Not at the present moment,
I figure in time they will, and it will be along the same lines as KAYO..
and still after all this time Kayo only produce some numbers every 1-2 months of some sports.
NRL AFL and Cricket but only a selection and give an Avg

Stan Sport should of done an agreement with NRL and put more NSW and QLD cups games on Stan as well

it needs more content.
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

A quote from SMH
during a Union Piece

Stan Sport does not plan on releasing its viewer numbers during the year.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-unio ... 1613804617
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Stan Sport could be keen on A-League - but only if it stays in summer

he A-League’s mooted switch to winter could be off the cards with a potential new broadcast rights bidder, Stan Sport, indicating it would only be interested in a summer competition.

Industry sources have confirmed that Stan - whose first foray into live sport began on Friday night with the launch of the new Super Rugby AU season - has held exploratory discussions over the rights to the A-League and W-League, which are set to hit the market in the coming weeks.

The A-League’s current deal with Foxtel, a reduced one-year contract worth $28 million that was negotiated post-pandemic, is due to expire at the end of July.

https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/soccer ... 5746g.html
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 50 times

Post by Beaussie »

Stan Sport eye smart televisions as solution to rugby’s pub blackout
By Sam Phillips
February 22, 2021

Super Rugby could be beamed into pubs and clubs via smart televisions if Stan Sport is unable to resolve its deal with Sky Channel, which last week fell over on the eve of the competition’s opening round.

The Herald on Friday revealed the deal was pulled after a Tabcorp senior executive learned Sky Channel had reached an agreement without the consent of its parent company, Tabcorp.

Rugby fans in pubs across Australia were subsequently unable to watch the Force lose to the Brumbies in Friday’s first-round double-header. From this weekend Stan Sport’s rugby coverage will also include the popular Super Rugby Aotearoa fixtures from New Zealand, and later in the year, club rugby from Sydney and Brisbane as well.

While Rugby Australia remain hopeful a deal will be done as soon as possible, sources with knowledge of the Tabcorp deal have told the Herald a resolution is unlikely.

Tabcorp officials were initially concerned Racing NSW chief executive Peter V’landys - who is also the chairman of the ARL Commission - had not been consulted prior to the deal being done, and continue to see little upside to having rugby competing with racing for screens in pubs.

The other two providers of satellite feeds to pubs - Optus and Foxtel - are not viable partners for Stan as the former has limited coverage in venues across the country, and the latter not only lost the rugby rights to Nine but will be showing NRL and AFL.

Pub-goers were unable to watch the Brumbies’ win over the Force on Friday night.CREDIT:GETTY

That has left Stan executives with little choice but to think outside the square.

Sources with knowledge of Stan’s strategy told the Herald streaming direct to smart devices - including televisions - was a viable option.

That would cut the need for a middle man with a satellite connection, and allow pubs which want to show rugby to do so either through smart televisions, Apple TV, Chromecast, Telstra TV or any other device which hosts the Stan app.

While that option is attractive to Stan, it could take time to roll out and means there is no set date when pubs and clubs will be able to broadcast rugby.

Sources with knowledge of the situation told the Herald it was highly unlikely the second round of Super Rugby AU would be broadcast in pubs.

While Stan work out a solution, both Nine and Rugby Australia executives were thrilled with the audience that tuned in for the Reds’ record-breaking win against the Waratahs.

The Herald has learned the match was watched by about 200,000 people across 9Gem and Stan Sport. About 150,000 of those viewers tuned in on Nine’s secondary channel and the other 50,000 watched via Stan’s new streaming arm.

Combined, the numbers tripled the total viewership for the corresponding match in the first round last year.

“Friday night’s launch of Rugby on both Stan Sport and 9Gem was hugely successful, exceeding all expectations,” Nine director of sport Brent Williams said.

“We look forward to growing on this strong base as we continue to work closely with Rugby Australia, the teams and players to build our coverage throughout the season.”

Rugby Australia chief Andy Marinos described the increased viewership as “overwhelming”.

“It was a great start to our new partnership with Nine and Stan Sport and a special thanks must go to Hugh (Marks), Mike (Sneesby) and their broader team,” Marinos said.

“The community response has been overwhelming. People have been telling me how much they loved the new look and feel of the broadcast, the accessibility of the games as well as the quality on display.

“This is just the beginning though and we look forward to growing with Nine and Stan throughout the Harvey Norman Super Rugby AU season.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/stan-sport ... 574gt.html
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Would be a Pain for Pubs to log into the App on Stan and switch to the Union.

ease of Access through Sky.

50k On Stan, I think Union would look at that as a win.

Fox ratings would be around the 50-80k for this clash in recent years.
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

I'm not sure how this Ch9/Stan deal is going with RA. The Wallabies V France international tonight is not on the main channel. It's on Gem.

I would have thought part of the deal would be to put all test matches against the big nations on the main channel at least for Sydney and Brisbane.

There also doesn't seem to be very much media interest around the game. The ratings will be interesting but I can't see them very big!!!!!
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Terry wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:04 am
I'm not sure how this Ch9/Stan deal is going with RA. The Wallabies V France international tonight is not on the main channel. It's on Gem.

I would have thought part of the deal would be to put all test matches against the big nations on the main channel at least for Sydney and Brisbane.

There also doesn't seem to be very much media interest around the game. The ratings will be interesting but I can't see them very big!!!!!
you would of thought RU would of done this with deal to be on NINE> as a must.. STRANGE
i suspect it is to lift STAN SPORT with viewers signing up

( there has been very minimal coverage about the wallabies.

only one seem to be pumping it up is CHANNEL 9 through www.nine.com.au and SMH
along with pumping the adverts during the NRL coverage.

the game on GEM was 323k total >> not including regional.
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:18 pm

you would of thought RU would of done this with deal to be on NINE> as a must.. STRANGE

Yeah I saw that. With regionals and Stan they'd get around 600k I'd say. Which is below every NRL FTA game this year including the ladies SOO. A big drop from the halcyon days.

And what about the game??? Dead set shocker by both teams. Dropped balls, missed tackles, forward passes everywhere, kicks out on the full!!! It was a shambles. The thing is it was France's 2nd or 3rd string players V the best we've got. Not good for the Wallabies!!!!
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Terry wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:29 pm
leeroy*NRL* wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:18 pm

Yeah I saw that. With regionals and Stan they'd get around 600k I'd say. Which is below every NRL FTA game this year including the ladies SOO. A big drop from the halcyon days.

And what about the game??? Dead set shocker by both teams. Dropped balls, missed tackles, forward passes everywhere, kicks out on the full!!! It was a shambles. The thing is it was France's 2nd or 3rd string players V the best we've got. Not good for the Wallabies!!!!
yep i think most Wallabies games on Ch10 over pass 5 years or so were rating in that bracket of 600k to 800k metro and regional
but than the FOX numbers were added and were generally pretty good around that 200 - 250k

so unless STAN are bringing in 200-300k subscribers watching.. this is a big drop

yes I watched the entire game last night, and it was everything you said sub standard game that is for sure.
Wallabies did not deserve that win

17,800 crowd at Suncorp.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

The first Wallabies Test match under the new TV rights deal with Nine and Stan Sport brought in 323,000 viewers to 9Gem powering the station to a 5.3% share, making it the top multichannel for the night.

https://www.mediaweek.com.au/tv-ratings ... er-300000/

RUGBY: 2021 WALLABIES V FRANCE 9Gem 323,000 145,000 53,000 70,000 20,000 34,000

https://tvtonight.com.au/2021/07/wednes ... -2021.html
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

Beaussie wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:40 pm

The first Wallabies Test match under the new TV rights deal with Nine and Stan Sport brought in 323,000 viewers to 9Gem powering the station to a 5.3% share, making it the top multichannel for the night.

https://www.mediaweek.com.au/tv-ratings ... er-300000/

RUGBY: 2021 WALLABIES V FRANCE 9Gem 323,000 145,000 53,000 70,000 20,000 34,000

https://tvtonight.com.au/2021/07/wednes ... -2021.html
You got anything on regionals and Stan beatup?????
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

figures say between 100-150k for the match on STAN
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:05 pm
Regional 106,000

Have you seen something official? All I’ve seen is what Sam Phillips has posted he has heard. My question is heard from where?

leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Beaussie wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:23 am
leeroy*NRL* wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:05 pm
Regional 106,000

Have you seen something official? All I’ve seen is what Sam Phillips has posted he has heard. My question is heard from where?

nope nothing official in concrete, just the same Sam Phillips.

I assume he would be close to the mark.

9 network will most likely do a report after all the internationals are done for this season on home soil.
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

for me even when adding in figures for GEM AND STAN Metro and Regional.

Channel 10 and FOX come out with bigger figures...