AFL Grand Final in Sydney

Australian Football news and discussion.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

AFL Grand Final in Sydney

Post by Beaussie »

So cool if this was to happen. Gladys, get on the phone and make it happen.

AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Re: AFL Grand Final in Sydney

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Lol
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

I guess it is where you would get most bang for your buck!

For that reason why take it to WA or SA as they are Australian Rules states ...what growth or benefit would you get when aussie rules is all there really is anyway as a winter sport. Even if you follow soccer, you’re still likely to have been bought up on aussie rules.

So for me ... Sydney it Brisbane. I think Brisbane would be more advantageous as there is already a strong presence, it is by and large accepted, and there isn’t that code war insecurities it appears that seems to harbour in Sydney to some degree. A GF here could really consolidate the sport... particuarly if a local side is doing well or, god forbid, in the gf.

Of course, they could wait and see and play it in the team state that finishes top of the ladder if from one of those states ... with a decision only needed if a vic team finishes top.
Veni, vidi, vici
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

We already have a *** Mardi Gras in Sydney. Why would we want anymore Victorians in our state?
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:29 pm
We already have a *** Mardi Gras in Sydney. Why would we want anymore Victorians in our state?
homophobe alert
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

This would be great news for footy in NSW.

NSW to become home of footy with new AFL hub, Grand Final bid
Ben Horne, The Daily Telegraph
July 3, 2020

NSW has doubled down on its new-found status as AFL HQ, with the State Government declaring ANZ Stadium should take this year’s Grand Final from the MCG.

On a historic day for AFL in the rugby league capital, it was announced a third of the competition would migrate to NSW, with Hawthorn set to find a new home on the waterfront at Coogee for the next month, and the Melbourne Demons to switch from bleak city to Manly beach for four weeks in paradise.

The SCG will host a blockbuster between Geelong and Brisbane next Thursday night – 117 years after the Lions’ parent club Fitzroy played in the first ever game of Aussie rules at the iconic Sydney ground.

But the NSW Government is determined to ensure the AFL super hub is only the beginning of a Sydney takeover of the Victorian game.

As first revealed by The Daily Telegraph last week, the NSW Government has its eyes on the AFL Grand Final, as the it looks increasingly unlikely the MCG will be allowed to host a capacity crowd for the 2020 decider.

Melbourne continues to be ravaged by COVID-19, with more than 60 new cases recorded every day, and NSW Sports Minister Geoff Lee has ramped up ANZ Stadium’s bid for the biggest prize in Australian sport.

“ANZ Stadium has the biggest capacity outside the MCG and Sydney would give the AFL the red carpet treatment in the Harbour City,” said Minister Lee.

“We have just announced the merging of the SCG Trust and Venues NSW to create one powerful entity that can attract the best events and Sydney is ready for an AFL Grand Final.”

Maintenance has taken place on ANZ Stadium’s retractable stands to ensure it would be right to host 80,000 fans for an AFL blockbuster, as restrictions in NSW continue to ease.

Western Australia, South Australia and Queensland have also thrown their hats in the ring for the AFL Grand Final, which is a Melbourne institution and is otherwise locked in at the MCG until 2057 — a decision Geelong coach Chris Scott labelled a “travesty.”

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan was on Friday buzzing about the silver lining to Melbourne’s COVID-19 crisis – a chance to give NSW and Queensland the platform they’ve been craving.

In NSW and the ACT last year, overall participation totalled a record 294,947 participants and female football grew 15 per cent, and 211 per cent since the inception of AFLW.

Community football this season in NSW is on track for record levels of participation, after it also grew by 7 per cent in 2019.

TV ratings in Sydney are also booming so far this AFL season.

Sydney chief executive Tom Harley said the arrival of Hawthorn, Melbourne, Collingwood, Geelong, Gold Coast and Brisbane could take AFL in NSW to new heights.

“I think absolutely. It really does emphasise the point that we are a global city and we’re a sports-mad city and the growth of the game, which has been building over the past 20 years reflects, how strong participation numbers are,” said Harley.

“Ratings for the AFL in Sydney has been really strong, viewership is up. So to have that extra content and give people in Sydney other AFL opportunities is a great opportunity for us and I’m sure the supporters of the code in Sydney will appreciate the AFL spotlight being there, and that’s absolutely appropriate.”

The Daily Telegraph can reveal the Hawks will be based in Coogee, Melbourne in Manly and Collingwood and Geelong likely to be in the Sydney CBD for their one-week stay.

The Western Bulldogs will also stay in Manly when it’s their chance for hub-time in NSW, after passing through Queensland first.

GWS and Sydney are both willing to throw open the doors to their training facility for visiting clubs, with the Swans Lakeside facility at Moore Park, GWS HQ at Tom Willis Oval in Sydney Olympic Park, Blacktown Sports Park and North Dalton Park all likely training venues for interstate clubs.

Gold Coast will be based in Wollongong.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 40d379a54a
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Lol read this on another forum .
Don't know where it was from ( media) but will look for it .

PVL messing with CoVICderps heads again .

"Naturally, they'd want to bring it to the best city in the world. I don't begrudge them on that," he said.

"And they may want to spend some time at the Opera House and Sydney Harbour rather than some of their landmarks. I welcome it. It's the best city in the world, we should have a few second-rate events. That's no problem."
Lol lol lol

🤣
Xman wrote
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

$50 million potential windfall for the AFL going to Sydney. :thumbleft:

Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Not at that stadium .... have it at SCG.... smaller crowd but in the city and make a carnival atmosphere.
Veni, vidi, vici
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Fred wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:44 am
Not at that stadium .... have it at SCG.... smaller crowd but in the city and make a carnival atmosphere.
alot of AFL media been saying what a Pathetic Ground Olympic Park is for AFL ...

lol

which makes no sense the ground is more suited to AFL than NRL..

and you wonder why most games are a ghost town....

(i agree SCG would be better)
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Beaussie wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:11 am
$50 million potential windfall for the AFL going to Sydney. :thumbleft:

this would be from gate takings mostly yes, and Sydney chipping in to Host..

If it were in Melbourne, would not they make almost this much anyways.
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Lol Kennet having a hissy fit .
& starts ranting the usual afl propaganda .
.Lol Tv ratings bullshit
no one knows who PVL is in the ACT or NT.
Lol
He loses it
&
Lol PVL has a little shot at him again at the end .

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/peter- ... 55azf.html

🤣
Xman wrote
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Quite a fun article. V’landys totally getting the banter and Jeff with Jeff taking it far too seriously. Never been a fan of Kennett as know too much about him let’s say from my time in Vic. His work with Beyound Blue and with mental health is admirable .... redemption can be productive.
Veni, vidi, vici
lonnieharperc
Team: West Coast Eagles
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by lonnieharperc »

It will be interesting to see how the night granny goes at the Gabba. Hopefully they revamped the whole thing rather than just move the timeslot.

In its current format the Watch AFL Grand Final 2020 Online at the MCG isn't something I would sell a kidney for as a neutral observer. I'd rather go to a packed Anzac day game or a prelim if I had a choice.
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Quolls2019 »

lonnieharperc wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:10 am
It will be interesting to see how the night granny goes at the Gabba. Hopefully they revamped the whole thing rather than just move the timeslot.

In its current format the Watch AFL Grand Final 2020 Online at the MCG isn't something I would sell a kidney for as a neutral observer. I'd rather go to a packed Anzac day game or a prelim if I had a choice.
Because of the atmosphere, the entertainment..or the quality of the play?

In a very perverse kind of way, it could be lucky that it was moved both in time and place, on traditional grand final day the weather in Melbourne was crap.
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.