An All-Aboriginal Team for International Rules

Australian Football news and discussion.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

An All-Aboriginal Team for International Rules

Post by Beaussie »

Time for an Aboriginal team
By Jake Niall
November 27, 2004
http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/
2004/11/26/1101219749610.html

The Irish-Australian international rules is let down by Australian football on two scores. The first problem is that the AFL, despite its best efforts, struggles to get the absolute cream of the competition to represent its country.

The second, more pertinent issue for the AFL is that, by dint of our clumsiness in handling a round ball and archaic selection philosophy, the Australians are barely competitive against our Irish cousins, who are quicker, better drilled and more skilful, especially by foot.

Short of changing the Gaelic-friendly rules in favour of the cumbersome Antipodean dinosaurs, the only way we can give the Irish a decent match is by picking teams better suited to the sport.

The hybrid game does not have stoppages and consequently, body strength and physical aggression are largely irrelevant; the better players are those, like Aussie Jones, who can run and take the game on, or the rare individual, such as Richmond's Nathan Brown, who can actually kick that confounded round ball.

If the AFL is looking for a way to both generate some excitement about the concept while simultaneously selecting a more competitive team, then it should, for our next encounter with the Irish, select a team comprising entirely Aboriginal players to represent Australia.

Cricket, a sport not usually associated with Aboriginal Australia, sent an all-black team to England in the late 19th century; now, it would be fitting if Australian football - a sport that might have joint Gaelic and Aboriginal roots (Marn Grook was the indigenous game that may have served as an inspiration) - was represented by descendants of the first Australians.

From a promotional point of view, an all-Aboriginal team would give the hybrid series an enormous boost at the box office. One could argue that it would also do much to promote the tolerant image of AFL football and, indeed, the cause of black-white relations - an act of symbolic, if not practical, reconciliation. Meanwhile, we would also stand a better chance of winning the series.

When you consider the type of players that succeed in the hybrid game, it's clear that an indigenous team would fare much better than the klutzes we sent to Ireland back in October. Aboriginal players, by and large, have the attributes that work in international rules - speed, improvisational flair and unconventional ball skills.

Lately, the selectors - using the All-Australian 22 as the flawed starting point - have picked teams overloaded with strong bodies and 188-centimetre utilities with questionable round-ball kicking skills. How much better would the Australians look with the Burgoyne brothers, Gavin Wanganeen, Daniel Wells, Andrew McLeod and Byron Pickett running, dodging and weaving?

Chris Johnson has been among the best exponents of the round-ball game, which brings his visionary running game to the fore. Tall players are not terribly important in international rules, but insofar as you need one, the hyper-athletic Adam Goodes is the right type.

The precedent has been set. Already, Aboriginal all-star teams have played both Carlton and Collingwood in pre-season matches in the Northern Territory.

When an all-star indigenous team flogged the Blues in 2003 in Darwin, it was evident that, for many of the all-stars, the chance to represent one's people was a source of immeasurable pride and it was not difficult to persuade even the biggest names to join with their blood-brothers.

I imagine that representing both Australia and Aboriginal football would be an honour few would refuse, particularly given that the occasion would be a one-off, with a respected Aboriginal footballing elder such as Michael Long or Michael McLean brought in to coach the side.

The captain? It would be hard to go past our own definitive black Irishman, Micky O'Loughlin.

I'd personally still prefer to see Australia play the Irish, but with it abundantly clear that many clubs and players do not take the International Rules Series seriously (despite the massive crowds and income generated for the AFL and GAA) - perhaps an All-Aboriginal team is the change we need. Thoughts anyone?
crocodileman
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by crocodileman »

I think it's an interesting dilemma - one I believe has not fairly been represented in the article.

First, I don't believe that we are going to continue to fall behind the Irish in this hybrid game - quite the opposite, I believe that we will adapt more effectively in the future.

My observations of this game is that the Australians have a clear edge in strength and height, and so consequently when there is a marking contest, we will generally win it.

Likewise, the Irish seem to be better 'crumbers' and seem to have more ground speed, most prevalent in wet or greasy conditions.

This in itself makes for an interesting contest as both teams need to try to play to its strengths.

The concept of an Aboriginal team has merit - similar to the All-Stars team that was launced in my neck of the woods this week, to play the Western Bulldogs in February.

But, I wouldn't give up on the concept of close interesting games in its present format just yet.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

crocodileman wrote:
I think it's an interesting dilemma - one I believe has not fairly been represented in the article.

First, I don't believe that we are going to continue to fall behind the Irish in this hybrid game - quite the opposite, I believe that we will adapt more effectively in the future.
Fair point, this year though the Irish certainly showed us up when adapting to the hybrid game. Pretty embarrassing actually considering our past form in the series.
crocodileman wrote:
My observations of this game is that the Australians have a clear edge in strength and height, and so consequently when there is a marking contest, we will generally win it.

Likewise, the Irish seem to be better 'crumbers' and seem to have more ground speed, most prevalent in wet or greasy conditions.

This in itself makes for an interesting contest as both teams need to try to play to its strengths.
Totally agree. Add to that the fact that the Aussies are definately more physical in these games. I just love seeing the Irish when tackled. It still seems like a foreign concept to them. That said our physical strengths and tackling abilities didn't seem to help us this year though.
crocodileman wrote:
The concept of an Aboriginal team has merit - similar to the All-Stars team that was launced in my neck of the woods this week, to play the Western Bulldogs in February.
The Aboriginal All-Stars is a great concept and one that Aboriginal players in the AFL fully embrace. From what I've seen the crowds support in Darwin is fantastic too.