Junior AFL to penalise teams for winning by too many points. Can ya believe it???

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Junior AFL to penalise teams for winning by too many points. Can ya believe it???

Post by Terry »

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/absolute ... --c-603865

This is kinda laughable!!!! But it does fit into the fumbling mentality where you get a point for missing lolololololol. Now you lose points for winning lolololololol!!!!!! Incredible stuff!!! I never thought they'd top the stupidity of AFLX but Gilty and the boys sure are trying hard!!!!!
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Re: Junior AFL to penalise teams for winning by too many points. Can ya believe it???

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Lol
Lol lol
So a team that is not as unco as another team gets penalised .
Oh my .
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Re: Junior AFL to penalise teams for winning by too many points. Can ya believe it???

Post by Fred »

Yes agree this is ridiculous . My understanding is they don’t keep scores in junior levels ... also ridiculous. Up here they stop the scoring on the score board if a team is 10 goals up.
Veni, vidi, vici
Nah
Team: Greater Western Sydney Giants
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Nah »

What is laughable is that people don't see the parallels.
In America they have the mercy rule.
In rugby they ban the big guys.
All across the world they have divisions whereas if you win you move up - you are penalised for winning.

In this case the teams NOT penalised for winning but for winning by too much.
Winning by too large a margin does nothing for EITHER team.
I don't believe this is the right way to go about things as it doesn't solve the problem.
In fact it is worse. One team is thrashed and the other is disgruntled having been penalised.
I don't believe in the mercy rule either because the game time is simply cut short in America.
That penalises both parties.

It would be better if a team is leading by 'x' amount then they would be forced to drop a player or similar.
The result is a team doesn't get beaten by so much and the other team gets a better workout.
In my experience with junior football it is the adults that are the root of the problem with an unholy desire to win.

The article makes reference to W.A. where they DON'T have this scheme but a team was penalised for winning by too much. The club fielded multiple teams and refused to balance the teams up.
They were warned with a month's notice to comply but they refused.
Instead of having two competitive teams the club obviously wanted one winning team.

There is a requirement in W.A. junior football that a team can only play one more player than the other team.
In most instances a coach allows players to swap to make up numbers.
The players don't particularly like playing for the opposing team but at least all players are getting a run
and the team with more players, which is usually much stronger is getting a better workout.

They should be looking to equalise football in Queensland rather than penalising after fact.
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

So many lols

🤣
Xman wrote
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

True nah... by the way... the response from AFLcrap is typical when trying to have a sensible discussion. He has nothing to add unless he is on his quest to bring down the afl. Like that kid in the classroom In primary school that’s a bit special ... it’s best just to smile and make allowances.

Now to your points. It’s the same in qld where you have to have the same amount of players. Even if a player is injured and a team is down to 17 the other team has to take a player off.

I do think that it is in the interest of kids playing that they all enjoy the experience .. whatever the sport. Getting thrashed week in and week out is no fun for the kids losing and more importantly not being competitive. But penalising a team for winning by too much is silly... put the rules on place prior such as not scoring when one team is up by a certain amount.
Veni, vidi, vici
Nah

Post by Nah »

Fred wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:55 pm
But penalising a team for winning by too much is silly... put the rules on place prior such as not scoring when one team is up by a certain amount.
Yes. I would suggest that that taking a player off and adding that player to the bench could be a start.

Whilst this is generally a very small issue in AFL it's nothing like the weight problem in rl
with islanders dominating junior rl.
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

i agree with mercy rule in junior sports,

i myself in Rugby League U18's have been mercy ruled 70 - 10
The game ended with 15 mins to go and it was 13 v 11 players ( no bench) (injuries)

but no to penalizing a team
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

True nah... by the way... the response is typical when afl get picked on in the fight club He has nothing to add unless he is on his quest to follow me everywhere around this forum .
Like that kid in the classroom In primary school that’s obsessed ... it’s best just to smile and make allowances.

We don't want these problems to get worse later on in life .

🤣
Xman wrote
Nah

Post by Nah »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:47 pm
True nah... by the way... the response is typical when afl get picked on in the fight club He has nothing to add unless he is on his quest to follow me everywhere around this forum .
Like that kid in the classroom In primary school that’s obsessed ... it’s best just to smile and make allowances.

We don't want these problems to get worse later on in life .
You know, your paranoia is probably treatable.
Nah

Post by Nah »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:16 pm

The game ended with 15 mins to go and it was 13 v 11 players ( no bench) (injuries)

U18s is undoubtedly serious business but that situation helps neither team.
What is the situation with a forfeit w.r.t. scores? There is no incentive not to forfeit.
Something should have happened at half-time to give some meaning to the game.

In one Australian Football league a forfeits results in a win by 100 points.
I know of one situation where the team would have had a better result by forfeiting.
Maybe in your situation, a team could've agreed to forfeit and then play a balanced game where the result was unofficial.
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Nah wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:24 pm
leeroy*NRL* wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:16 pm

U18s is undoubtedly serious business but that situation helps neither team.
What is the situation with a forfeit w.r.t. scores? There is no incentive not to forfeit.
Something should have happened at half-time to give some meaning to the game.

In one Australian Football league a forfeits results in a win by 100 points.
I know of one situation where the team would have had a better result by forfeiting.
Maybe in your situation, a team could've agreed to forfeit and then play a balanced game where the result was unofficial.
yeah unfortunately the game was quite unlucky.
by memory we had 2 players withdraw before the game because of injury.
as we were already short 2 on the bench.

so we had started the game with zero bench.
during the game we had 2 major injuries in the 1st half.
it was the 2nd half they killed us, being fatigued and being outnumbered.

the Ref decided to call the game 10 -15mins from time, when we had another player go down with a knee injury.
never played in a game like it, we basically defended the whole game.
Nah

Post by Nah »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:57 am
so we had started the game with zero bench.
during the game we had 2 major injuries in the 1st half.
it was the 2nd half they killed us, being fatigued and being outnumbered.
A not that uncommon experience and you cannot penalise a team for having a full squad.
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

agreed.
i did not see anything wrong with it..

Mercy rule should be applied in "some" circumstances.
in junior ranks.