Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Is this the cost of growth overseas

Post by Fred »

James Maloney leaving for Super League.

A nrl tragic I met in Thailand a couple of years ago raised this as a concern should rl grow overseas. As Australia is such a small country if RL grew in say England where it became financially a stronger comp than it is here, could they afford to buy players on big dollars and if so , would this see players leaving and thus weakening the nrl. I’m not saying this is the case now however this popped up in my feed and reminded me of that conversation. Thoughts?

https://apple.news/AEsVCkgKkSY-0a8aNDSpedQ
Veni, vidi, vici
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Is this the cost of growth overseas

Post by pussycat »

I would say you have a lot more to worry about than what I do, Maloney is a great player, A test quality player but hardly the first to play out his career overseas, where he can get similar money in a much softer competition. Already half the English Test team play in Australia as well as vast numbers of New Zealanders/ Pac Islanders. The Australian Rugby League competition is the strongest in the world and further expansion will only help to strengthen that. Australia is only a small country, with not a lot to chose from .I would be much more worried about your own competition and the depth/or lack off.
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

I’m not worried at all about rl or ar. Just posing the question.

I think where you say that Australian rl is strongest in the world and expansion overseas will strengthen that is the real question. Will it? Or could it see the English league for instance becoming stronger by being able to offer more money. Of course this depends on the success of the English league and it’s ability to generate sufficient income. It’s all economy of scale. Look at soccer, any good players go overseas for good money ... but the difference is they are also going to a better standard usually. Ru we see players going for the money to less quality leagues though.

Oh and thanks for the reasonable response.
Veni, vidi, vici
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

luckily enough Origin type players seem to head overseas for a change in there later years of there career..

if this did change and they were heading off mid 20's it would be a concern..

NRL players are still heading off in good numbers overseas over the years.

in this time there has been a increase in English and Pacific islander players.
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

Fred wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:05 pm

I think where you say that Australian rl is strongest in the world and expansion overseas will strengthen that is the real question. Will it? Or could it see the English league for instance becoming stronger by being able to offer more money. Of course this depends on the success of the English league and it’s ability to generate sufficient income. It’s all economy of scale. Look at soccer, any good players go overseas for good money ... but the difference is they are also going to a better standard usually. Ru we see players going for the money to less quality leagues though.

At the moment clubs get a grant of $13m, English clubs around 3m pound ? (ask Leeroy, he probably knows the exact figure). But with that much money in our game We wont lose to many players we want.

By the way what type of money are Nauru AFL players getting nowadays?
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

pussycat wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:12 pm
Fred wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:05 pm

At the moment clubs get a grant of $13m, English clubs around 3m pound ? (ask Leeroy, he probably knows the exact figure). But with that much money in our game We wont lose to many players we want.

By the way what type of money are Nauru AFL players getting nowadays?
:(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ .
I think it's great that a Rl player nearing the end of his career can go to another country & earn good $$$ before he retires .
What do fumblers do .
:(/ :(/ :(/
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

I agree too crapper. The question posed (last year) was around whether a growing presence of RL in big markets like England and US (North America) will strengthen the NRL or detract from it. Particularly as they are such larger populations that even a comparatively small market share can see high revenues. Will we see an A League situation whereby players are enticed by the greater dollars ...I can’t see this occurring anytime soon until the quality/standard improve but may not be in the too distant future. I believe similar situation happened in Rugby Union where players went to play club a rugby in other countries ... with threats if they did they could not play for Australia.

Thoughts?
Veni, vidi, vici
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

the future could be anything>>

rugby League could be fighting off many leagues and clubs from League and Union around the world.

At Present, our Top Players are staying.
it is more the players looking elsewhere being pushed out by a club or later years of there career.
which are heading to Union and English league..

either way the NRL are going great guns