Rugby League news and discussion.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

NRL VIC - Victorian Rugby League development

Post by Beaussie »

Was just looking at the NRL VIC website and wondering how Rugby League is going development wise.

On first observations, one could be forgiven for thinking only Polynesians play rugby league.

2019 NRL Victoria Men's State Team Train on Squad Announced
http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page ... D=65189293

Looks like junior RL competitions only kicked off this season in May. Did I read that correctly... May?
NRL Victoria Junior Competitions
By Matt Hughes (NRL Vic Media)

The NRL Victoria Junior Competitions kick off this Saturday May 4. This year over 210 teams will compete in age groups ranging from under 6s all the way to Seniors, in male and female versions of the game. The amount of teams has increased on last season, which highlights the continued growth of rugby league in Victoria.

The competition will span over 14 regular season rounds, followed by a final’s series dependant on the age group. Age groups involved are under 6s through to 18s, whilst in the girls there will be an extra division this year with under 13s, 15s and 17 age groups. There will be two bye rounds during the competitions, with one on the Queens Birthday weekend and a bye during the July school holidays.

http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page ... D=65256726
With years of total dominance by the Melbourne Storm in the NRL, I’m curious to know how many Victorians are now playing the game? Anyone know?
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Re: NRL VIC - Victorian Rugby League development

Post by NlolRL »

Clearly making massive inroads into the average Victorian sportsman LOL
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Sorry if RL is inclusive & not WHITE enough for you afl types
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

would be good to see more Caucasian / Europeans play the game>>

Victoria must have heaps of Pacific Islanders down there...

( i did quote one good point in this article.) 210 teams (good stuff)
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Last figures by Wookie has Victoria just ahead of W.A in playing numbers by a few K

the Growth in W.A has been quite good, especially with no team.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

NlolRL wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:57 am
Clearly making massive inroads into the average Victorian sportsman LOL
Well, I’ve been able to find that 1.... yep... 1 Victorian school participants in the League Stars after school program.

It costs just $10 and 26 children in the entire state of Victoria have signed up for the League Stars program described as... “aimed at giving primary school-aged children an introduction to the great game of Rugby League.”
League Stars
By Matt Hughes (NRL Vic Media)

League Stars is a new, non-contact after school program,

The program is run for six-weeks at schools all over Australia, including right here in Victoria. Currently there is one being run for students at St Josephs, Springvale, however there is expected to be more held at other Victorian schools throughout the year.

The program is inclusive, safe and educational and is supervised by NRL Victoria Development staff, who will ensure everyone is safe and treated fairly, in a NON-CONTACT environment.

The program is delivered in two phases. Phase one is a fun session within the school playground. Phase two is where the real fun and skill development begins. Over several weeks Kids will participate in enjoyable activities, where the focus is on skill development in the areas of basic game play and movement. Once they are ready the children will play a modified non-contact game of rugby league where they can apply their new skills.

The six-week program usually costs $75, however St Josephs have been kind enough to subsidise $65 of that, meaning students only have to pay $10! All participants receive a League Stars pack which includes a backpack, ball, ball pump, shirt and stickers.

Melbourne Game Development Officer Conan Kang believes it is a great program with loads of benefits.

“It gets the kids away from the screen to burning some energy outdoors whilst developing motor skills, movement patterns and Rugby League concepts in the process,” he said.

The program is two weeks in at St Joseph’s now and has seen 26 kids register of which only one had played rugby league before.

http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page ... D=65439793
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:18 pm
would be good to see more Caucasian / Europeans play the game>>

Victoria must have heaps of Pacific Islanders down there...

( i did quote one good point in this article.) 210 teams (good stuff)
Well our polynesian population isnt big thats for sure.

Maybe the side has a no indigenous australian or caucasian clause
notaleaguefan
Banned
Team: AFL
Been liked: 25 times

Post by notaleaguefan »

so in how many centuries will Vic be able to field a SOO side!
if all the Victorians of the past and present that has played professional league in Australia NRLOL totals around 5 or 6
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_league_in_Victoria

id say in around another 150 years & people can be brought back to life or a vudo curse can get a body moving (see weekend at burnies) id say Victoria could finally field a SOO side!

all up it would have taken around 250 years!

meanwhile in the past 100 yeas of AFL in QLD and NSW they could field soo sides several times over & will with several reserve :lol: :lol: teams

regardless or race or age :rofl:
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

So on the morning after RL had the countries biggest rating tv program for the year the fumblers here want to make themselves feel better by bagging junior RL players in Vic. Laughable stuff!!!

What they're trying to say is.....'look over there, look over there' lolololololololol. A typical deflection from a team of jealous dullards. Do better fumblers.
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

Terry wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:42 pm
So on the morning after RL had the countries biggest rating tv program for the year the fumblers here want to make themselves feel better by bagging junior RL players in Vic. Laughable stuff!!!

What they're trying to say is.....'look over there, look over there' lolololololololol. A typical deflection from a team of jealous dullards. Do better fumblers.
In case you havent noticed yet Terry, this forum is about bagging the other code, and this occurs every day. If you dont like it move on :wave:
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

NlolRL wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:00 pm

In case you havent noticed yet Terry, this forum is about bagging the other code, and this occurs every day. If you dont like it move on :wave:
Thanks pal......I think I'll hang around!!!!!! Demolishing you fumbling types is easier than shooting fish in a barrel.

You and beatup can talk among yaselves about pacific islander kids playing RL in Victardia. Laugh at 'em......point at 'em......make fun of 'em.

You might wanna then watch the Goodes doco. You know.......the one about rampant racism in your cesspit of a sport.

Carry on chaps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
notaleaguefan
Banned
Team: AFL
Been liked: 25 times

Post by notaleaguefan »

says one of the loons who usualy brings up soo in irrlevsnt threads 360 odd other days of the year :)))

now back on topic! how could league fasten up their growth in victoria
i mean 200 to 250 odd years for a state to be able to provide a soo team!
given it would requre digging dead ex players from the past but who know about medical technologies of the future :lol:
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

Terry wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:34 pm
NlolRL wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:00 pm

Thanks pal......I think I'll hang around!!!!!! Demolishing you fumbling types is easier than shooting fish in a barrel.

You and beatup can talk among yaselves about pacific islander kids playing RL in Victardia. Laugh at 'em......point at 'em......make fun of 'em.

You might wanna then watch the Goodes doco. You know.......the one about rampant racism in your cesspit of a sport.

Carry on chaps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah nah, nice meltdown Terry. We werent making fun of the players, only the fact they are all islanders not a general representation of Victoria's population
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

How many actual clubs are there. Years ago there were about 13 or 14 across the whole state (although maybe some border ones?). Makes it hard to play if you’re travelling across the country side to play. There are or was large regions without a rl team such as Gippsland. Had this changed? Comparing that the to spread of afl across the country shows there’s a long way for rl to go I think.
Veni, vidi, vici
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Fred wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:57 pm
How many actual clubs are there. Years ago there were about 13 or 14 across the whole state (although maybe some border ones?). Makes it hard to play if you’re travelling across the country side to play. There are or was large regions without a rl team such as Gippsland. Had this changed? Comparing that the to spread of afl across the country shows there’s a long way for rl to go I think.
It states it in the article..

This year over 210 teams will compete in age groups ranging from under 6s all the way to Seniors

wonder what the equivalent is in NSW for AFL ?