AFL SoO

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Fred
Coach
Coach
Posts: 6241
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:13 am
Team: Collingwood
Location: Gold Coast
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 25 times

AFL SoO

Post by Fred » Fri May 31, 2019 4:24 pm

Given the success of SoO in rugby league and the previous success that SoO has had in years gone by in AFL why is the concept basically dead and buried nowadays for the AUstralian Football?

I hear that because there are more than two states as a give. Reason but I don’t buy that as has not been an issue previously and there is a lot of rivalry between South Australia and Victoria (remember the “kick a vic” slogan a few years back and WA also like to beat Victorians. Maybe the local derbies take a lot of this passion? And there is the what to do with players from Tasmania, Queensland, NSW, Northern Territory etc but again rugby league soo has elite players that can’t play either due to being from other countries and doesn’t impact that series? So don’t buy that excuse? The reason soo died in afl has been put down to clubs not wanting players to play ... which I remember well. No one wanted there million dollar player getting injured in what had come to be considered a meaningless competition . I don’t know... afl players seem to want it and to play ... have conditions and sentiment changed? I don’t think the passion is there enough in afl for players like it is in rl. The club game seems to be priority number 1 which I support. couldn’t see a club or supporters accepting their club playing a game with 3 of their best players out due to SoO. But as an end of year competition or as a preseason comp ?

So the one area rl clearly and undoubtedly have it over AFL in this country is SoO so why can’t the afl get anything like this when there are similar (not the same) conditions.


Veni, vidi, vici

Terry
Coach
Coach
Posts: 2666
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:19 pm
Team: Wests Tigers
Location:
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Terry » Fri May 31, 2019 4:45 pm

"So the one area rl clearly and undoubtedly have it over AFL in this country is SOO". Demonstratively incorrect Freddy boy. Last year the NRL domestic comp had bigger tv ratings than the AFL comp. Add in SOO and it was an absolute smashing.

Now SOO in fumbleball: It didn't work because Victoria dominated primarily because of their population advantage over the desert states. The wins by SA and WA were few and far between & the public interest couldn't sustain it.

Fumble fans will of course be in denial about this as they are jealous of RL SOO. They will try to denigrate it and pump up their domestic comp. As usual they're delusional!!!!!



NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Posts: 6671
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:34 am
Team: Melbourne Demons
Location:
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by NlolRL » Fri May 31, 2019 6:15 pm

Terry your account of afl soo has some truth however vic dominated for years yet the concept remained popular. Going national put the death nail in afl soo

As for ratings, the AFL dominated everything bar the irrelevant cumulative total. They won every final, had the highest rating fta game, stv game, total game, and head to head count by a massive margin
Last edited by NlolRL on Fri May 31, 2019 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.



User avatar
leeroy*NRL*
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4025
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:54 pm
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Location:
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* » Fri May 31, 2019 6:20 pm

IF AFL returned to SOO>> would it be popular.. to a degree...

would it be anything like NRL SOO (not even close)

It would still rate and be attended ok. it just would never crack northern states.

Everyone would hop on the bandwagon and want VICTORIA to lose..

Gill and is crew would love to have an AFL version..
but he knows AFL can not emulate what the NRL has> so no point in trying..

The AFL does not want to be second best..



NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Posts: 6671
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:34 am
Team: Melbourne Demons
Location:
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by NlolRL » Fri May 31, 2019 6:35 pm

leeroy*NRL* wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 6:20 pm
IF AFL returned to SOO>> would it be popular.. to a degree...

would it be anything like NRL SOO (not even close)

It would still rate and be attended ok. it just would never crack northern states.

Everyone would hop on the bandwagon and want VICTORIA to lose..

Gill and is crew would love to have an AFL version..
but he knows AFL can not emulate what the NRL has> so no point in trying..

The AFL does not want to be second best..
NRL players and fans value SOO above their own comp, the NRL ratings prove this. There is no way AFL players clubs or fans will ever value SOO above club success. In fact that was one reason it began to stall, players wer pulling out left right and centre. One player did his knee in a SOO game and the outcry was massive. Imagine risking club glory for state v state game. LOL



User avatar
leeroy*NRL*
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4025
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:54 pm
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Location:
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* » Fri May 31, 2019 6:47 pm

and injury can occur at any point throughout your career..
playing SOO does not mean you will get injured >> even knowing it is a brutal game.

alot of sports, go outside there clubs>>
Cricket & soccer have many levels of competition..
and so does NRL.

playing at a higher level>> makes a player better.. and the club benefits from this.

SOO is only 5 days a away.. enjoy..



Terry
Coach
Coach
Posts: 2666
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:19 pm
Team: Wests Tigers
Location:
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Terry » Fri May 31, 2019 6:47 pm

NlolRL wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 6:35 pm
leeroy*NRL* wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 6:20 pm
IF AFL returned to SOO>> would it be popular.. to a degree...

would it be anything like NRL SOO (not even close)

It would still rate and be attended ok. it just would never crack northern states.

Everyone would hop on the bandwagon and want VICTORIA to lose..

Gill and is crew would love to have an AFL version..
but he knows AFL can not emulate what the NRL has> so no point in trying..

The AFL does not want to be second best..
NRL players and fans value SOO above their own comp, the NRL ratings prove this. There is no way AFL players clubs or fans will ever value SOO above club success. In fact that was one reason it began to stall, players wer pulling out left right and centre. One player did his knee in a SOO game and the outcry was massive. Imagine risking club glory for state v state game. LOL
Totally incorrect as expected. NRL players and fans do not value SOO above the domestic teams they follow. They value it alongside the domestic comp, SOO and internationals. This is how RL works in Australia. Three tiers. All valued.

SOO in AFL stalled because Victoria dominated. Fullstop. It was no longer a contest. The fans didn't care. The players didn't care. Fumblehouse didn't care.

There is not a chance in hell that fumblehouse would can SOO if it got multiple ratings equal to the domestic GF year on year. Massive interest Australia wide. Massive money coming into the game. Known and broadcast throughout the world. Yep. Nil chance.

It's simple. RL SOO is a contest year on year. Grew into a behemoth. AFL SOO wasn't. Withered on the vine. And died.
These users liked the author Terry for the post:
leeroy*NRL* (Fri May 31, 2019 7:03 pm)



NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Posts: 6671
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:34 am
Team: Melbourne Demons
Location:
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by NlolRL » Fri May 31, 2019 7:07 pm

Terry wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 6:47 pm

Totally incorrect as expected. NRL players and fans do not value SOO above the domestic teams they follow.
As a whole the NRL SOO rates above your GF, sometimes well above, which suggest it has a higher value to RL fans.
SOO in AFL stalled because Victoria dominated. Fullstop. It was no longer a contest. The fans didn't care. The players didn't care. Fumblehouse didn't care.
It had nothing to do with Vic dominating which is clearly evident because Vic were the better side from the start yet it remained popular. The decline in popularity occured in 1999 once the AFL had clubs in each state and was partly due to the fact many of the competitions best players were from states other than Vic, WA and SA.
There is not a chance in hell that fumblehouse would can SOO if it got multiple ratings equal to the domestic GF year on year. Massive interest Australia wide. Massive money coming into the game. Known and broadcast throughout the world. Yep. Nil chance.
AFL house can say and want whatever they like. But players, clubs and fans did not value rep AFL rep games anywhere near as high as club games, therefore it lost support from the players, then lost interest from the public. The impact of SOO during the regular season would be unacceptable to players and fans, unlike RL fans who seem to welcome SOO despite the massive effect it has on your NRL competition. I mean it's laughable a club would risk missing finals to allow players to represent their state in a state v state game.
It's simple. RL SOO is a contest year on year. Grew into a behemoth. AFL SOO wasn't. Withered on the vine. And died.
couldnt agree more. It had no place in a national competition, just like it doesnt for sports in other countries like NBA, NFL ect. They have their 'exhibition' all-star games but they have nowhere near the level of interest their main competition has.

The fact NRL SOO is so much more popular than the NRL season is quite hilarious because it shows how many fringe or fair weather RL fans there are out there. They will watch 3 games a year then take barely any interest for the remainder of the year



Fred
Coach
Coach
Posts: 6241
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:13 am
Team: Collingwood
Location: Gold Coast
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Fred » Fri May 31, 2019 7:17 pm

Terry wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 4:45 pm
"So the one area rl clearly and undoubtedly have it over AFL in this country is SOO". Demonstratively incorrect Freddy boy. Last year the NRL domestic comp had bigger tv ratings than the AFL comp. Add in SOO and it was an absolute smashing.

Now SOO in fumbleball: It didn't work because Victoria dominated primarily because of their population advantage over the desert states. The wins by SA and WA were few and far between & the public interest couldn't sustain it.

Fumble fans will of course be in denial about this as they are jealous of RL SOO. They will try to denigrate it and pump up their domestic comp. As usual they're delusional!!!!!

Hi Terry

My reference to the one area rl has it over Aussie Rules was due to no one can argue this... with ratings there are many arguments back in forth re various nuances of ratings and why this or that. I would agree that another area is international presence though.

I think the vfl were dominant when it was Como v Como ... hence the birth of soo as s.a and w.a complained that the vfl team was made up of players from there. Not sure what the record exactly was for soo in Aussie Rules but certainly remember the vice loosing a few. I think rl do soo quite well. Envious rather than jealous I would say.


Veni, vidi, vici

Terry
Coach
Coach
Posts: 2666
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:19 pm
Team: Wests Tigers
Location:
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Terry » Fri May 31, 2019 7:18 pm

NlolRL wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 7:07 pm
Terry wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 6:47 pm

Totally incorrect as expected. NRL players and fans do not value SOO above the domestic teams they follow.
As a whole the NRL SOO rates above your GF, sometimes well above, which suggest it has a higher value to RL fans.
SOO in AFL stalled because Victoria dominated. Fullstop. It was no longer a contest. The fans didn't care. The players didn't care. Fumblehouse didn't care.
It had nothing to do with Vic dominating which is clearly evident because Vic were the better side from the start yet it remained popular. The decline in popularity occured in 1999 once the AFL had clubs in each state and was partly due to the fact many of the competitions best players were from states other than Vic, WA and SA.
There is not a chance in hell that fumblehouse would can SOO if it got multiple ratings equal to the domestic GF year on year. Massive interest Australia wide. Massive money coming into the game. Known and broadcast throughout the world. Yep. Nil chance.
AFL house can say and want whatever they like. But players, clubs and fans did not value rep AFL rep games anywhere near as high as club games, therefore it lost support from the players, then lost interest from the public. The impact of SOO during the regular season would be unacceptable to players and fans, unlike RL fans who seem to welcome SOO despite the massive effect it has on your NRL competition. I mean it's laughable a club would risk missing finals to allow players to represent their state in a state v state game.
It's simple. RL SOO is a contest year on year. Grew into a behemoth. AFL SOO wasn't. Withered on the vine. And died.
couldnt agree more. It had no place in a national competition, just like it doesnt for sports in other countries like NBA, NFL ect. They have their 'exhibition' all-star games but they have nowhere near the level of interest their main competition has.

The fact NRL SOO is so much more popular than the NRL season is quite hilarious because it shows how many fringe or fair weather RL fans there are out there. They will watch 3 games a year then take barely any interest for the remainder of the year
Yep. There it is folks. As I predicted in my earlier post. Fumble folk are plain jealous of RL SOO. They try to denigrate it. They're insecure little people.

Yep. The annual fumblefan SOO meltdown is on.



User avatar
leeroy*NRL*
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4025
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:54 pm
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Location:
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* » Fri May 31, 2019 7:23 pm

It rates well because every supporter is supporting the STATE not just a club>>

combine all the fans in Victoria to support the STATE> it is going to be bigger than your GRAND FINAL.

Grand Finals Vary in both codes, in which team makes it >>

SOO varies on the closeness of the match and the Decider.



NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Posts: 6671
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:34 am
Team: Melbourne Demons
Location:
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by NlolRL » Fri May 31, 2019 7:30 pm

Terry wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 7:18 pm
NlolRL wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 7:07 pm
Terry wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 6:47 pm

Totally incorrect as expected. NRL players and fans do not value SOO above the domestic teams they follow.
As a whole the NRL SOO rates above your GF, sometimes well above, which suggest it has a higher value to RL fans.
SOO in AFL stalled because Victoria dominated. Fullstop. It was no longer a contest. The fans didn't care. The players didn't care. Fumblehouse didn't care.
It had nothing to do with Vic dominating which is clearly evident because Vic were the better side from the start yet it remained popular. The decline in popularity occured in 1999 once the AFL had clubs in each state and was partly due to the fact many of the competitions best players were from states other than Vic, WA and SA.
There is not a chance in hell that fumblehouse would can SOO if it got multiple ratings equal to the domestic GF year on year. Massive interest Australia wide. Massive money coming into the game. Known and broadcast throughout the world. Yep. Nil chance.
AFL house can say and want whatever they like. But players, clubs and fans did not value rep AFL rep games anywhere near as high as club games, therefore it lost support from the players, then lost interest from the public. The impact of SOO during the regular season would be unacceptable to players and fans, unlike RL fans who seem to welcome SOO despite the massive effect it has on your NRL competition. I mean it's laughable a club would risk missing finals to allow players to represent their state in a state v state game.
It's simple. RL SOO is a contest year on year. Grew into a behemoth. AFL SOO wasn't. Withered on the vine. And died.
couldnt agree more. It had no place in a national competition, just like it doesnt for sports in other countries like NBA, NFL ect. They have their 'exhibition' all-star games but they have nowhere near the level of interest their main competition has.

The fact NRL SOO is so much more popular than the NRL season is quite hilarious because it shows how many fringe or fair weather RL fans there are out there. They will watch 3 games a year then take barely any interest for the remainder of the year
Yep. There it is folks. As I predicted in my earlier post. Fumble folk are plain jealous of RL SOO. They try to denigrate it. They're insecure little people.

Yep. The annual fumblefan SOO meltdown is on.
:lol:

Seems most popular sporting comps int he world denigrate rep games. The NFL all stars game rates around 10% of their GF which shows you how much they care about rep games. NBA all stars also rate far less than their finals.

Yet RL fans love SOO far more than their own 'national' comp.... :lol: What a weird lot



NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Posts: 6671
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:34 am
Team: Melbourne Demons
Location:
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by NlolRL » Fri May 31, 2019 7:31 pm

leeroy*NRL* wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 7:23 pm
It rates well because every supporter is supporting the STATE not just a club>>

combine all the fans in Victoria to support the STATE> it is going to be bigger than your GRAND FINAL.

Grand Finals Vary in both codes, in which team makes it >>

SOO varies on the closeness of the match and the Decider.
so why dont NFL or NBA rep game ratings get anywhere near their finals?



User avatar
leeroy*NRL*
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4025
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:54 pm
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Location:
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* » Fri May 31, 2019 7:43 pm

NlolRL wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 7:31 pm
leeroy*NRL* wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 7:23 pm
It rates well because every supporter is supporting the STATE not just a club>>

combine all the fans in Victoria to support the STATE> it is going to be bigger than your GRAND FINAL.

Grand Finals Vary in both codes, in which team makes it >>

SOO varies on the closeness of the match and the Decider.
so why dont NFL or NBA rep game ratings get anywhere near their finals?
because they do not take there Exhibition games seriously..

have you not watched the All stars games..

there is no defense NBA games over under line is like 380 points..
a normal game over under is 190-210

its the biggest joke.

they play to not get injured..



NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Posts: 6671
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:34 am
Team: Melbourne Demons
Location:
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by NlolRL » Fri May 31, 2019 7:46 pm

leeroy*NRL* wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 7:43 pm
NlolRL wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 7:31 pm
leeroy*NRL* wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 7:23 pm
It rates well because every supporter is supporting the STATE not just a club>>

combine all the fans in Victoria to support the STATE> it is going to be bigger than your GRAND FINAL.

Grand Finals Vary in both codes, in which team makes it >>

SOO varies on the closeness of the match and the Decider.
so why dont NFL or NBA rep game ratings get anywhere near their finals?
because they do not take there Exhibition games seriously..

have you not watched the All stars games..

there is no defense NBA games over under line is like 380 points..
a normal game over under is 190-210

its the biggest joke.

they play to not get injured..
which is what AFL players began to do. Their clubs didnt want them to play, nor did the fans, nor did many of the players in the end. It was a travesty when a player was injured and unavailable for their club games.

No one remembers who won SOO every year, while fans always remember the year their club won the GF



Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 9 guests

Recent Member

Please welcome our newest member:

PeterQ
  • Joined: 18 Aug 2019
  • Last Visited: 18 Aug 2019
  • Team: Rabbitohs
  • Location: Forrestville
  • Total posts: 0

Recent Members

All Time
Username
Join Date