Aussie Rules Football helping refugee children feel more included at school

Discussion about grassroots football and regional footy leagues.
User avatar
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 9286
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:38 pm
Team: Sydney Swans
Location: Sydney
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 5 times
Contact:

Aussie Rules Football helping refugee children feel more included at school

Post by Beaussie » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:34 pm

What a wonderful story of multicultural Australia and social inclusion that demonstrates yet again how footy embraces everyone.

Well done AFL NSW/ACT and GWS Giants. =D

Australia's Game :thumbleft:

Aussie Rules Football helping refugee children feel more included at school
ABC Riverina
By Verity Gorman

Image
Photo: These children from Afghanistan have embrace the chance to learn Australian Rules Football. (ABC Riverina: Verity Gorman)

Learning how to kick a footy and take a mark are skills many Australian kids learn growing up, but for those who've come across the seas, it can be a foreign concept.

Now a program in the New South Wales Riverina is helping make life easier for young refugees by teaching them how to play AFL.

Image
Photo: Rozaliya Hasan, 11, Shireen Khaltie, 12, and Narmin Kambar, 10, want to keep playing Aussie Rules. (ABC Riverina: Verity Gorman)

Tahira Roshan, aged 12, from Afghanistan, said she had never played the game.

"I think AFL is a good sport for us, we can move our bodies and we can learn how to play — it's very good for us," she said.

"I think AFL is the best sport I've ever had."


Easing into community life

Benjamin Walsh from AFL Riverina said the program has been a huge success.

"It just allows them to fit in that little bit more, playing a sport that most of their peers would play, as well as helping them join in and become part of the community that little bit easier," he said.

Image
Photo: Coach Benjamin Walsh from AFL Riverina says the refugee program has been rewarding for those running it. (ABC Riverina: Verity Gorman)

It has also been rewarding for him as a coach.

"I really enjoyed teaching the kids the basics," he said.

"They probably listen and take note that little bit more than a lot of other kids so it's been great.

"They've been really enthusiastic."

New recruits footy mad

Ismail Darwish's children are taking part in the program.

"Everyday when they didn't play football they asked me 'when are we going to play Australian football?" he said.

"Now I'm waiting to pick them up, but they don't want to come home because they're very happy."

Image
Photo: Ismail Darwish is happy his children are learning to play Aussie Rules Football. (ABC Riverina: Verity Gorman)

The Wagga Wagga Multicultural Council organised the program.

Community development officer Thom Paton said it has been a hit with the students.

"Already after a couple of sessions a few of the girls want to pick it up and register with a few local teams," he said.

"They've picked up the skills quickly and are very competitive."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-08/ ... n/10638018


"One in every 24 Australians is now a member of an AFL club, a sign that the national reach of Australian football has never been greater," League CEO Gillon McLachlan said.

User avatar
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Posts: 5694
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:50 pm
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Location:
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Post by pussycat » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:04 pm

Wow , fantastic stuff . A few more years and Aussie rules players will be household in Islamabad. :wink: This is really amazing . This could, eventually be more popular than Birchgrove Oval and Eatery tents;


Rugby League: - Australia's Most Popular Sport :thumbleft:

AFL: - The world's least Popular Sport :/;

Nrlolol
Tool of the Month
Posts: 754
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:56 pm
Team: Afl
Location:
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Nrlolol » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:42 pm

pussycat wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:04 pm
Wow , fantastic stuff . A few more years and Aussie rules players will be household in Islamabad. :wink: This is really amazing . This could, eventually be more popular than Birchgrove Oval and Eatery tents;
You think they need the nrl counters for their crowd or participation rate numbers to monitor numbers pussytwat?



User avatar
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Posts: 16305
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:49 am
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Location:
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by AFLcrap1 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:45 pm

This is a paid advertisement

The afl puff pieces are always good for a laugh .


Metho madness.
Lol $10 NRL tickets.$10 NRL tickets .How pathetic is that ?
Crickets chirping after I post $5 AFlol tickets .
Self ownage ..no one does it better .

User avatar
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 9286
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:38 pm
Team: Sydney Swans
Location: Sydney
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 5 times
Contact:

Post by Beaussie » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:32 am

AFLcrap1 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:45 pm
This is a paid advertisement

The afl puff pieces are always good for a laugh .
Hmm, a paid advertisement on the ABC? Yeah, that makes a whole lot of sense. :roll:

Meanwhile, a reality check:
The Wagga Wagga Multicultural Council organised the program.

Community development officer Thom Paton said it has been a hit with the students.

"Already after a couple of sessions a few of the girls want to pick it up and register with a few local teams," he said.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-08/ ... n/10638018


"One in every 24 Australians is now a member of an AFL club, a sign that the national reach of Australian football has never been greater," League CEO Gillon McLachlan said.

User avatar
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Posts: 16305
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:49 am
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Location:
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by AFLcrap1 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:47 am

So many lols .


Metho madness.
Lol $10 NRL tickets.$10 NRL tickets .How pathetic is that ?
Crickets chirping after I post $5 AFlol tickets .
Self ownage ..no one does it better .

User avatar
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 9286
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:38 pm
Team: Sydney Swans
Location: Sydney
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 5 times
Contact:

Post by Beaussie » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:54 am

AFLcrap1 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:47 am
So many lols .
That’s your response when reality is pointed out? Hmm ok :hmm:


"One in every 24 Australians is now a member of an AFL club, a sign that the national reach of Australian football has never been greater," League CEO Gillon McLachlan said.

User avatar
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Posts: 16305
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:49 am
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Location:
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by AFLcrap1 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:36 pm

Of course it is
It's hilarious the afl puff pieces.

It's even funnier when you bar up over them


Metho madness.
Lol $10 NRL tickets.$10 NRL tickets .How pathetic is that ?
Crickets chirping after I post $5 AFlol tickets .
Self ownage ..no one does it better .

User avatar
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 9286
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:38 pm
Team: Sydney Swans
Location: Sydney
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 5 times
Contact:

Post by Beaussie » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:40 pm

AFLcrap1 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:36 pm
Of course it is
It's hilarious the afl puff pieces.

It's even funnier when you bar up over them
So again... how is this story a paid advertisement as you suggested previously? Since when does the ABC accept paid advertising? Go on... please explain!!!


"One in every 24 Australians is now a member of an AFL club, a sign that the national reach of Australian football has never been greater," League CEO Gillon McLachlan said.

User avatar
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Posts: 16305
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:49 am
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Location:
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by AFLcrap1 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:05 pm

The AflBC love promoting afl feelgood stories .
Always have .
Oh & has an Afghan made it to the Afl yet .

Lol way way behind RL in accepting other cultures .
We are way way ahead in multiculturalism .


Metho madness.
Lol $10 NRL tickets.$10 NRL tickets .How pathetic is that ?
Crickets chirping after I post $5 AFlol tickets .
Self ownage ..no one does it better .

Nrlolol
Tool of the Month
Posts: 754
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:56 pm
Team: Afl
Location:
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Nrlolol » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:05 pm

Still struggling to
Provide proof of how it’s a paid advertisement! Something that goes against the abcs charter

Yet viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6591
We have opinion peace like this from league fan that we have to take as gospel and take the afl story as a paid puff peace


Usual double standards from you lot
These users liked the author Nrlolol for the post:
Beaussie (Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:14 pm)



Nrlolol
Tool of the Month
Posts: 754
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:56 pm
Team: Afl
Location:
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Nrlolol » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:55 pm

The league fans have bailed out on this thread already



Terry
Coach
Coach
Posts: 2241
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:19 pm
Team: Wests Tigers
Location:
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Terry » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:53 pm

Beaussie wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:34 pm
What a wonderful story of multicultural Australia and social inclusion that demonstrates yet again how footy embraces everyone.

Well done AFL NSW/ACT and GWS Giants. =D

Australia's Game :thumbleft:

Aussie Rules Football helping refugee children feel more included at school
ABC Riverina
By Verity Gorman

Image
Photo: These children from Afghanistan have embrace the chance to learn Australian Rules Football. (ABC Riverina: Verity Gorman)

Learning how to kick a footy and take a mark are skills many Australian kids learn growing up, but for those who've come across the seas, it can be a foreign concept.

Now a program in the New South Wales Riverina is helping make life easier for young refugees by teaching them how to play AFL.

Image
Photo: Rozaliya Hasan, 11, Shireen Khaltie, 12, and Narmin Kambar, 10, want to keep playing Aussie Rules. (ABC Riverina: Verity Gorman)

Tahira Roshan, aged 12, from Afghanistan, said she had never played the game.

"I think AFL is a good sport for us, we can move our bodies and we can learn how to play — it's very good for us," she said.

"I think AFL is the best sport I've ever had."


Easing into community life

Benjamin Walsh from AFL Riverina said the program has been a huge success.

"It just allows them to fit in that little bit more, playing a sport that most of their peers would play, as well as helping them join in and become part of the community that little bit easier," he said.

Image
Photo: Coach Benjamin Walsh from AFL Riverina says the refugee program has been rewarding for those running it. (ABC Riverina: Verity Gorman)

It has also been rewarding for him as a coach.

"I really enjoyed teaching the kids the basics," he said.

"They probably listen and take note that little bit more than a lot of other kids so it's been great.

"They've been really enthusiastic."

New recruits footy mad

Ismail Darwish's children are taking part in the program.

"Everyday when they didn't play football they asked me 'when are we going to play Australian football?" he said.

"Now I'm waiting to pick them up, but they don't want to come home because they're very happy."

Image
Photo: Ismail Darwish is happy his children are learning to play Aussie Rules Football. (ABC Riverina: Verity Gorman)

The Wagga Wagga Multicultural Council organised the program.

Community development officer Thom Paton said it has been a hit with the students.

"Already after a couple of sessions a few of the girls want to pick it up and register with a few local teams," he said.

"They've picked up the skills quickly and are very competitive."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-08/ ... n/10638018

Come on Beatup, this is clearly a beatup lol initiated by the propaganda arm of the Australian Fumbling League. They ring up Riverina ABC on a slow news day and say, 'hey fellas want a feel good fluff piece? We've got a beauty'. It's fumbleball propaganda 101 pal. In fact all codes do it. It's just that the fumbling folk actually nod in unison, pat each other on the back and bow to the great god fumble lololololoolol. Dills!!

Below is a couple of RL stories about Afghani and African kids. At least these kids actually play the game and haven't been rounded up for a kick to kick photo opportunity with a few freebies thrown in.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2016/12/20/r ... explosion/

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... a9b681fd05



NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Posts: 6148
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:34 am
Team: Melbourne Demons
Location:
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by NlolRL » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:11 pm

those RL stories are clearly not propaganda, but the AFL's are......

FMD the delusion these fuckwits are under!



Terry
Coach
Coach
Posts: 2241
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:19 pm
Team: Wests Tigers
Location:
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Terry » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:51 pm

NlolRL wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:11 pm
those RL stories are clearly not propaganda, but the AFL's are......

FMD the delusion these fuckwits are under!
Ok.......so you're the original llloller. Are you ok pal??????

Now to the point: Did you read my post?? Did you understand it?? I clearly stated 'all codes do it'. Just to clarify: I meant every code promotes itself. In this case RL used foreign born folk actually playing full blown Rugby League in proper full season competitions to promote itself.

Fumbleball went to a school & had a few low level kick to kick drills with some foreign kids to promote itself. And of course they had a camera and reporter in tow. Remember the Lawson report? Reality V perception it was called.

In the cases cited RL promotes itself with registered players that play the game - that's reality. The AFL has a photo op with casual auskickers to promote itself. As Lawson stated, they are creating a perception that masks the reality.

Get it?? No!!! Didn't think so lololololol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Recent Member

Please welcome our newest member:

omecptyltd@optusnet
  • Joined: 14 Apr 2019
  • Last Visited: 14 Apr 2019
  • Team: geelong
  • Location: perth
  • Total posts: 0

Recent Members

All Time
Username
Join Date