Canadians like Rugby League a lot more than Chinese like AFL.

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
AngloFootballLeague
Captain
Captain
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 6 times

Re: Canadians like Rugby League a lot more than Chinese like AFL.

Post by AngloFootballLeague »

Fred wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:28 pm
Who are these AFL fans playing it down? This whole rivalary thing seems to stem from the class wars that existed between rugby league and rugby union, having spilled over with the deminiahing role of Rugby Union, onto Australian Rules. I’d be surprised if 1 percent of afl fans outside of nsw and qld where the rugby codes are followed know of the Wolfpack or Canadian rugby league let alone super league.

Me personally, I would not care less one way or another whether there was a professional Australian rules club outside of Australia ... why would I?

Also. This comment

“People are now into a game in Canada that never had any following before” is true and is a great observation

This is the very reason the afl put a team in Western Sydney .... there is now a presence where once there was minimal. Let’s hope both grow and prosper.
Gws exists solely to maximize TV audience - in this regard it has been an abject failure. In fact, a failure by all measures really.
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

That’s just simply wrong. Yes, there is a boost to TV rating but they could have put a team anywhere for that. Western Sydney was chosen due to the massive market it is and that it was pretty much untapped. Now look at it ... in the news, afl clubs popping up everywhere, numbers growing and nrl insecurities flourishing ...:)
Veni, vidi, vici
AngloFootballLeague
Captain
Captain

The_Wookie wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:47 pm
AngloFootballLeague wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:53 pm

Gws exists solely to maximize TV audience - in this regard it has been an abject failure. In fact, a failure by all measures really.
well thats fucking wrong for a start. Primary aim of GWS was to grow the game in NSW, TV covered the cost of doing so. Maximise audience was never a stated aim. Increase the audience has been achieved just by having the games on.
Wrong. Expansion was to increase broadcast revenue by creating extra game. After that Gws was chosen as would increase chances of a Sydney team in Grand Final & maximize audience.
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Man ... an extra game is an extra game. Doesn’t matter where that team is. The Gold Coast and Western Sydney are two of the biggest growth areas in Australia. The AFL chose these two sites for a couple of reasons, the big factor being that’s where the people are and are going. The other factor for Western Sydney was that Australian Rules has very little footprint . If you are a business you want to expand into untapped markets. Really, it would be too costly not to try and expand into there. The other factor was that they wanted two teams in Sydney so a game was on each weekend ... same QLD. But western Sydney was specifically targeted due to a largely untapped and growing market. There was also a concern if they didn’t move soo. It would be lost forever to Soccer and the Westerm Sydney Wanderers. Turns out that was jumping at shadows .. with the WSW a bit like a fire cracker ... loud and spectacular but burnt out quickly ..I think the slow burn approach is a better way to go.
Veni, vidi, vici
AngloFootballLeague
Captain
Captain

Fred wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:21 am
Man ... an extra game is an extra game. Doesn’t matter where that team is. The Gold Coast and Western Sydney are two of the biggest growth areas in Australia. The AFL chose these two sites for a couple of reasons, the big factor being that’s where the people are and are going. The other factor for Western Sydney was that Australian Rules has very little footprint . If you are a business you want to expand into untapped markets. Really, it would be too costly not to try and expand into there. The other factor was that they wanted two teams in Sydney so a game was on each weekend ... same QLD. But western Sydney was specifically targeted due to a largely untapped and growing market. There was also a concern if they didn’t move soo. It would be lost forever to Soccer and the Westerm Sydney Wanderers. Turns out that was jumping at shadows .. with the WSW a bit like a fire cracker ... loud and spectacular but burnt out quickly ..I think the slow burn approach is a better way to go.
Gws is nothing but a money pit.
AngloFootballLeague
Captain
Captain

The_Wookie wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:23 pm
AngloFootballLeague wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:14 am
Wrong. Expansion was to increase broadcast revenue by creating extra game. After that Gws was chosen as would increase chances of a Sydney team in Grand Final & maximize audience.
You're an idiot. And an idiot that fails to see or read any of the planning that started for GWS in the late 90s.
Where is the planning for specifically a western Sydney team in the late 90s? There was talk of a 2nd team. North Melbourne attempted to fill this role once. Value of 2nd team in Sydney known before location gws decided.
AngloFootballLeague
Captain
Captain

The_Wookie wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:38 pm
mate if you arent even aware of the fucking discussion that lead up to GWS, wtf are you even doing pretending you know shit.
Just say there were no plans for Western Sydney in 90s.
AngloFootballLeague
Captain
Captain

The_Wookie wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:59 pm
AngloFootballLeague wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:50 pm
Just say there were no plans for Western Sydney in 90s.
There was an AFL Taskforce that reported to the AFL in May 1998 - that review resulted in the AFL forming AFL NSW/ACT and taking over the game in those areas, and its recommendations included a second team in NSW. The 1999 AFL Annual Report briefly discusses the prospect of a new team in Sydney

Just say you dont know what your talking about next time.
Where is plan for Western Sydney team?
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

This all come up from where you stayed that having a rugby league club in Canada was a good thing as once there was nothing now there is something. Which I agreed and pointed out this is the same with the afl in western Sydney. You seemed to jump up and down about this as to the reason afl put a team in western Sydney. Which you have been shown to be wrong but won’t accept. But regardless of the reason... the point still stands ... just as for rugby league in Canada getting some interest, the same can be said of Australian Rules and in particular AFL in Western Sydney where we see growth in teams, clubs and competitions in the area and folk like your good self discussing it in forums like this.
Veni, vidi, vici
AngloFootballLeague
Captain
Captain

The_Wookie wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:12 am
AngloFootballLeague wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:55 am
Where is plan for Western Sydney team?
If you had an ounce of comprehension, you'd note that i said planning began in the late 90s that led up to GWS.The talk was all about growing the game, and a second nsw team was identified as one of the key planks of that. Where the team was located at the time was irrelevant. Its also notable that the AFL spent more of its own money on NSW leagues in that period than it did in any other state.
I know exactly what you said & what you're doing now - it's called backtracking.
NRL&NFLweLaughATafl
Coach
Coach
Team: Manly Sea Eagles and Huddersfield Giants
Been liked: 13 times

Post by NRL&NFLweLaughATafl »

Fred wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:28 pm
Who are these AFL fans playing it down? This whole rivalary thing seems to stem from the class wars that existed between rugby league and rugby union, having spilled over with the deminiahing role of Rugby Union, onto Australian Rules. I’d be surprised if 1 percent of afl fans outside of nsw and qld where the rugby codes are followed know of the Wolfpack or Canadian rugby league let alone super league.

Me personally, I would not care less one way or another whether there was a professional Australian rules club outside of Australia ... why would I?

Also. This comment

“People are now into a game in Canada that never had any following before” is true and is a great observation

This is the very reason the afl put a team in Western Sydney .... there is now a presence where once there was minimal. Let’s hope both grow and prosper.
When Toronto Wolfpack was announced AFL fans both on the Roar and here said it wouldn't last more than a year. Even wooks is saying they are 3rd division team when they are clearly top of the 2nd division and close to making the Super League.

You can deny it all you like. But AFL is very jealous of other football codes having international growth.

If AFL don't care about trying to go international.
Why do they play games in China?
Why do they have an amateur international cup?
Why has AFL played exhibition matches in NZ?
(which were cancelled early due to lack of support)
Why are the Giants are talking about an exhibition game in America?

Other codes are absolutely smashing AFL internationally, because AFL just isn't an internationally marketable sport. AFL knows this, which is why they are trying all these exhibition matches, AFL X so you can play AFL on football fields in overseas countries.
All these things flop but AFL keeps trying lol..

NSWRL cup has has Fiji in the comp in 2020 now too. Yet AFL is still only able to put new teams in Australia.
RUGBY LEAGUE 28 FIRST GRADE CLUBS IN 5 COUNTRIES
🇦🇺 🇨🇦 🇫🇷 🇳🇿 🇬🇧
AUSSIE RULES 18 FIRST GRADE CLUBS IN 1 COUNTRY
🇭🇲
Rugby League in Canada (Toronto Wolfpack)
http://www.torontowolfpack.com

UK Rugby League
http://www.rugby-league.com
NRL&NFLweLaughATafl
Coach
Coach

The_Wookie wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:01 pm
Fred wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:07 pm
Is this opinion or are you speaking from some authors five position? I am guessing a jealous rant and tanty
Based on his limited comprehension of amateur sport I can only assume, and a general refusal or inability to do any kind of research on the matter before spouting bullshit.

[
AngloFootballLeague wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:10 pm
]Based on similar claims about anglofl presence in places like South Africa & Sweden which amounted to nothing.
LOL only amounted to nothing in your opinion. Which is apparently limited to teams playing 3rd division league in England.

AFL South Africa still operates - if mostly limited to the FootyWild program - and AFL Sweden has a 4 team league in Stockholm and teams that compete in the danish competition.
https://www.facebook.com/FootWILD/
http://aflsweden.com/

AFL Ontario has been running a comp since 1989 - one of the first overseas Australian footy leagues to fire up.
How about we see some proper VIDEO EVIDENCE of AFL leagues and following in Sweden, Canada or South Africa. I'm certain it would be just expats living in these countries playing it if you can even find any.

Because so far, AFLs following in Canada seems to be well behind the progress Rugby League is having there with the Toronto Wolfpack.
🇦🇺 🇨🇦 🇫🇷 🇳🇿 🇬🇧
🇭🇲

UK Rugby League
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Quolls2019 »

Canadian team my eye.

“Former MLSE executive Bob Hunter takes over top Toronto Wolfpack job

Neil Davidson / The Canadian Press
AUGUST 14, 2019 06:25 AM
TORONTO — Bob Hunter has overseen the growth of B.C. Place Stadium, Rogers Centre, Scotiabank Arena and BMO Field. Now he is looking to help take the Toronto Wolfpack to the next level.
He inherits a club that has enjoyed great success on the field.

The Wolfpack (23-1-0) have already clinched the second-tier Betfred Championship regular-season title and are currently riding a 18-game win streak. With three games to go, they are preparing for the promotion playoffs.

Toronto, which failed to gain promotion to the Super League in 2018 at the last hurdle in a 4-2 loss to London Broncos, can reach the top tier with two playoff wins this season.

But the franchise faces challenges off the pitch.
Toronto recently announced it would not televise two of its remaining home games to save money. The Wolfpack had been paying for production costs to air its games on Sky Sports in the United Kingdom. Toronto distributed the broadcasts elsewhere, including Canada where the matches were shown on Game TV and only by CBC.

The Wolfpack are facing a lawsuit filed in Alberta by iLink Media Group, which handled TV production in 2018. The company argues the rugby league team "defaulted on payment for a significant portion of last year's season to the tune of just over $300,000."

While based in Toronto, there are no North Americans on the current roster and the team and its coaches live in England. When the Wolfpack play home games at Lamport Stadium, the team stays in temporary accommodations here.”
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
NRL&NFLweLaughATafl
Coach
Coach

Quolls2019 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:24 am
Canadian team my eye.

“Former MLSE executive Bob Hunter takes over top Toronto Wolfpack job

Neil Davidson / The Canadian Press
AUGUST 14, 2019 06:25 AM
TORONTO — Bob Hunter has overseen the growth of B.C. Place Stadium, Rogers Centre, Scotiabank Arena and BMO Field. Now he is looking to help take the Toronto Wolfpack to the next level.
He inherits a club that has enjoyed great success on the field.

The Wolfpack (23-1-0) have already clinched the second-tier Betfred Championship regular-season title and are currently riding a 18-game win streak. With three games to go, they are preparing for the promotion playoffs.

Toronto, which failed to gain promotion to the Super League in 2018 at the last hurdle in a 4-2 loss to London Broncos, can reach the top tier with two playoff wins this season.

But the franchise faces challenges off the pitch.
Toronto recently announced it would not televise two of its remaining home games to save money. The Wolfpack had been paying for production costs to air its games on Sky Sports in the United Kingdom. Toronto distributed the broadcasts elsewhere, including Canada where the matches were shown on Game TV and only by CBC.

The Wolfpack are facing a lawsuit filed in Alberta by iLink Media Group, which handled TV production in 2018. The company argues the rugby league team "defaulted on payment for a significant portion of last year's season to the tune of just over $300,000."

While based in Toronto, there are no North Americans on the current roster and the team and its coaches live in England. When the Wolfpack play home games at Lamport Stadium, the team stays in temporary accommodations here.”
The sport in new there. Of course they are not going to have Canadian players at first grade level.
The fans are Canadian, the Venue is in Canada. The creator in Canadian.
Sour grapes much. :wink:

Facts are Rugby League has professional teams in other countries and Canada is the latest.

AFL can't even get a team in New Zealand. Exhibition matches got cancelled there due to such poor interest. :lol:

AFL is a single nation joke.. China AFL matches are a laughing stock. too :cool:
🇦🇺 🇨🇦 🇫🇷 🇳🇿 🇬🇧
🇭🇲

UK Rugby League
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Lol
What's the problem .
He's on topic .
Not abusing anyone .
So how is he trolling by pointing out that afl is far behind Rl in Canada .
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o