Swans Are Killing Footy In NSW

Australian Football news and discussion.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Swans Are Killing Footy In NSW

Post by Beaussie »

Whilst I'll still turn up week after week win lose or draw to support my Swans, I'm very concerned with the latest developments in TV land, particularly as the next broadcasting rights agreement is being negotiated. The unattractive style of play the Swans show week in week out is clearly having a devastating effect on the AFL as a whole. Crowds and TV ratings are plummeting in Sydney. It certainly is time for drastic action. I mean, fair dinkum, the footy was beaten at certain stages the other night by the Iron Chef on SBS.

Bring on a second Sydney team and at least then we can assume one team will be doing better than the other. This would be particularly relevant when one team is going through a rebuilding phase which seems more and more likely for the Swans this season. A second team would also ensure increased media and general public interest in the code as there would be a game in Sydney each week, unlike the current once a fortnight situation. I can't wait to be at Telstra Stadium for a local derby between Sydney and Western Sydney. Comon AFL House, make it happen sooner rather than later. Other codes are expanding whilst we sit back and lose market share.

You're right Croc, Roos and the Swans are killing footy in the harbour city. Time to fix that up.
The Age wrote:
Swans off the menu in Sydney
By Caroline Wilson
May 31, 2005
http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/real ... 59086.html

A major play is required to win back the initiative from soccer, and league.

The AFL's push into Sydney has hit a significant hurdle with the Swans' live telecast on Saturday night being outrated at times in Sydney by a repeat of the SBS Japanese cooking show, The Iron Chef.

This latest embarrassing setback for the Australian code came as AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou flew to Sydney today to host a day-long strategy meeting and attempt to rebuild his relationship with the Swans, whose style of play he publicly criticised four weeks ago.

With the Sydney problem a priority for the AFL, the league's commissioners have placed the crucial and competitive market at the top of their agenda for their forthcoming commission strategy meeting, believing that the competition has not made any significant progress over the past two years.

It is believed that the game's governing body is so concerned about the Sydney market and the increasing threat of rival codes that a major play is required to win back the initiative from soccer, rugby and rugby league.

Among the radical proposals which could be put forward over the next 12 months is the re-emerging prospect of a second AFL club based in New South Wales.
While the possibility was rejected in the short-term last night by AFL executive Ben Buckley, he conceded that the league was looking at a series of strategic proposals to tackle what has been a multi-million dollar challenge for the game of two decades.

Channel Ten's prime time coverage on Saturday night of the St Kilda-Sydney game easily won its timeslot in Melbourne but finished a distant fourth in Sydney and was accompanied throughout by commentators Robert Walls and Tim Lane criticising the Swans style of play and tactics.

"I don't think the ratings are reflective of the game style," said Buckley. "While we'd like the ratings to be better we always thought we'd be in this for the long haul and we didn't expect to be doing any better than this.

"The second club discussion is not the priority - we've got to build the foundations first and I'm talking about more people playing the game in Sydney, more coverage and a bigger presence. That's obviously what we're looking at in the meetings . . . (today)."

While the ratings continue to be a concern for the finals broadcaster Channel Ten - on Saturday night between 8.45 and 9pm The Iron Chef rated better than St Kilda-Sydney - Buckley said he expected the network to continue to back the Swans on Saturday nights.

The Ten Network, which has joined forced with Channel Seven to bid for the next round of free-to-air rights, has agreed to televise 12 prime time Sydney games on Saturday night this season.

"We have talks from time to time but there has been no pressure for less games next year," said Buckley.

The strategic seminar was postponed from several weeks ago after Swans coach Paul Roos became unavailable for the AFL exercise following Demetriou's comments in an interview with Triple M.

"I think it would be fair to say in the early part of the season we saw some games that weren't attractive, and I think they've been described as ugly," Demetriou said at the time.

"And probably there would be a brand of football being played on the other side of the border which is not particularly attractive. And unless the Swans change that style of play, they won't win many football matches."
MAKAVELI
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by MAKAVELI »

Holy shit! :o
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

I'm not sure what the ratings were for the entire broadcast but it seems good old Caro used selective TV ratings when putting here article together today.

The ratings and times she quoted (8:45pm - 9:00pm) where the Iron Chef outrated the footy, were during the half-time break. It is reasonable to expect that viewers would be channel surfing during the long break. That said, I've no doubt the current Swans game plan is a turn off for many viewers.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

The Age wrote:
Ratings figures show that The Iron Chef peaked with around 50,000 more viewers than the Swans' game in a 15-minute period between 8.45pm and 9pm, which was during the half-time break in the game. Overall, the Swans game averaged 133,000 viewers, compared with SBS averaging 86,000 for the same time period.

The ratings figures for Swans games this season show that the Saturday night games on Channel 10 average 137,501, compared with 133,629 last season. The one Saturday day game averaged 95,012, significantly down on previous seasons. Sunday games on Channel Nine are averaging 121,500 and it has won the timeslot in each of the four weeks the Swans have been shown live.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/real ... click=true
Well it looks like the Swans game wasn't beaten by SBS (only during half time break which is to be expected as viewers channel surf). Impressive figures for Channel 9 on Sundays with all of the live Swans game having won their timeslot. I still think attacking footy would see more viewers tuning in. Overall, not as bad as Caro would have us all believe. Whilst I would like to see the ratings increase even further, there has been growth since last season judging by the averages this season. In other news it's good to hear that junior participation rates continue to grow.
The Age wrote:
Despite the recent criticisms, Demetriou praised the Swans for what they have achieved in the past 20 years.

"I think you are really being unfair to the Swans," he said. "They are one of the biggest brands in this country, one of the first-rate football clubs, turnover between $25 and $30 million, and this team has achieved enormous things in 20 years and I wouldn't underestimate the impact the Swans have had in this market.

"Back in 1998, when we had not one child participating in Auskick (the AFL's school's program), to have 30-odd thousand now, in the space of seven years, we are pretty proud of that, and to get more and more football grounds popping up, to get average crowds coming to the SCG of nearly 30,000, to have games being played out at Telstra Stadium, I don't reckon we've done too badly either."
Despite all this, alot more development work must continue. Glad to hear the AFL is fully committed to such development. A second team I would think, would ease the pressure placed on the Swans who are seen as the AFL in NSW. Growth in the school system is desperately needed. Gotta get local government on side to so we can start seeing the removal of H posts to be replaced by footy goal posts. It wont happen overnight, but it will happen.