GWS / SUNS >> How much more dollars

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Re: GWS / SUNS >> How much more dollars

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

I wonder what GWS And SUNS need as a crowd to break even on game day....
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

Not sure - do the sun”s own the management rights to the stadium ? That would reduce break even I would suspect. There was a thread on this some time ago I think.
Veni, vidi, vici
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Fred wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:43 am
Not sure - do the sun”s own the management rights to the stadium ? That would reduce break even I would suspect. There was a thread on this some time ago I think.
yeah Suns own management rights.
just not sure how much it reduces the fee overall for the year.
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Quolls2019 »

GlobalRugbyLeague wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:58 am
AFL house will never admit GWS struggles in Western Sydney. Is is bit like the AFL China exhibition matches.
There was virtually nobody of Asian descent of the small crowd in the stadium of the few people at all.. Yet AFL kept claiming it was a roaring success exposing the game to a billion plus people lol...

At least when Rugby League tried with the Wolfpack in Canada. The locals actually turned up to the game.
Wolfpack who?

The only thing current about them is the IOU’s.
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Quolls2019 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:38 pm
AFL house will never admit GWS struggles in Western Sydney. Is is bit like the AFL China exhibition matches.
There was virtually nobody of Asian descent of the small crowd in the stadium of the few people at all.. Yet AFL kept claiming it was a roaring success exposing the game to a billion plus people lol...

At least when Rugby League tried with the Wolfpack in Canada. The locals actually turned up to the game.
Wolfpack who?

Comprehension fail
He said At least WHEN RL tried .
He never mentioned currently . :)))
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Quolls2019 »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:14 pm
Quolls2019 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:38 pm

Wolfpack who?

Comprehension fail
He said At least WHEN RL tried .
He never mentioned currently . :)))
You won't learn for the future if you forget the past.

The wolfpack was a con all round.
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

65 Million was handed to the GWS AND SUNS in the year of 2023
which is record
blew previous year out of the water by 7-8million
azif
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Albury Thunder
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Post by azif »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:43 pm
65 Million was handed to the GWS AND SUNS in the year of 2023
which is record
blew previous year out of the water by 7-8million
:shock:
:hmm:

8-[

if they played 23 round zeros .. would that help ? :-k

:lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/

the fumbling game
struggling in NSW & QLD...
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

I wouldn't say Aussie Rules struggles in QLD - not by a long shot as there is a very large presence - and many players who grow up in QLD who have gone on to play at AFL level - hence the strong presence and numbers - you just have to look at the amount of leagues and amount of clubs. Brisbane doing well with supporter base very strong along with crowds and Suns having a very loyal rusted on supporter base that, when considering how poorly they have been since inception, is quite good and gives a stable base from which to grow.

I do think Western Sydney is struggling though re: Aussie Rules - numbers apparently plateaued at grassroots after an initial spike- GWS not really having a great imprint in the area, and Aussie Rules/AFL miles behind NRL and Soccer I think. I think GWS success on the field reasonably early could have been not the gift the AFL thought it would be - having a lengthy lean period, such as the Suns have had, I think builds, albeit slowly, a good base that isn;t going anywhere - and then when success happens, others jump on board. The Suns will have to make a go of it this time around however - and I'm not convinced this year will be the year - just going by the third quarter against what was a very weak side.

On "handouts" Leroy - would you also have to take into account the extra revenue the two sides generate in TV rights?
Veni, vidi, vici
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Fred wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:05 pm
I wouldn't say Aussie Rules struggles in QLD - not by a long shot as there is a very large presence - and many players who grow up in QLD who have gone on to play at AFL level - hence the strong presence and numbers - you just have to look at the amount of leagues and amount of clubs. Brisbane doing well with supporter base very strong along with crowds and Suns having a very loyal rusted on supporter base that, when considering how poorly they have been since inception, is quite good and gives a stable base from which to grow.

I do think Western Sydney is struggling though re: Aussie Rules - numbers apparently plateaued at grassroots after an initial spike- GWS not really having a great imprint in the area, and Aussie Rules/AFL miles behind NRL and Soccer I think. I think GWS success on the field reasonably early could have been not the gift the AFL thought it would be - having a lengthy lean period, such as the Suns have had, I think builds, albeit slowly, a good base that isn;t going anywhere - and then when success happens, others jump on board. The Suns will have to make a go of it this time around however - and I'm not convinced this year will be the year - just going by the third quarter against what was a very weak side.

On "handouts" Leroy - would you also have to take into account the extra revenue the two sides generate in TV rights?
its a sure thing that AFL continues to grow in QLD no questions about it..
be interesting stats on Conversion of Queenslanders to Victorians moving here.

what i have found with pass experiences and my cricket club with Victorians moving here in the masses
is they bring there love of AFL with them...
but they also are getting into Rugby League
as everyone around them is into it..
its kind of a win / win :lol:

regarding GWS (wow) i cannot really say much positive things about the franchise
its Really lifted by ACT members... for memberships and crowds
on the back of big clubs playing at Homebush plus sydney derby.

every side generates revenue for TV
these two sides on the very low end of the table.
but would still cover themselves from the tv money by having that extra game.

previous deal was EST at $50mill
No idea how much it would be in this deal
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

When is the next deal being stuck - didn't seven do a 6 or 7 year deal just recently?
Veni, vidi, vici
azif
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Albury Thunder
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Post by azif »

both elite afl clubs in QLD are financial basket cases , the Lions even allowing for their success on field are the 3rd most funded team in the comp not that far behind those 2 above who are money vaccume cleaners , were from day one & it appears its getting worse.
Stating how well the code is going at grass roots level is irrelevant , soccer dwarfs afl in qld .. but its a league club is broke & the benefits of juniors is not translating. The AFL is being drained of resources by these QLD clubs & GWS because the sport is struggling there .. not penetrating the market where it matters.
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Fred wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:45 pm
When is the next deal being stuck - didn't seven do a 6 or 7 year deal just recently?
yeah until 2031
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

azif wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:21 pm

both elite afl clubs in QLD are financial basket cases , the Lions even allowing for their success on field are the 3rd most funded team in the comp not that far behind those 2 above who are money vaccume cleaners , were from day one & it appears its getting worse.
Stating how well the code is going at grass roots level is irrelevant , soccer dwarfs afl in qld .. but its a league club is broke & the benefits of juniors is not translating. The AFL is being drained of resources by these QLD clubs & GWS because the sport is struggling there .. not penetrating the market where it matters.
good points.

Lions still with massive success of Top 4 every year since 2019
Still relying massively on AFL House

Grassroots and mass migration from Victoria etc have definitely played a part in Growth at junior level.

be interesting to see 10 years ago to now
How much have metrics increased
Ratings Memberships and attendance sponsorship etc

for the BIG 3
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

People have been saying for decades that it is the Victorians moving to GC that props up the Aussie rules here. Whilst this is a factor, some of those who moved now have kids, grandkids, and great grand kids — that are brought up with Aussie rules. I can also speak from my own experience of kids coming over from RL and their parents, getting involved, building a liking for Aussie Rules as they finally start to understand the rules and not so foreign. It is also in the schools and a strong interschool competition. RL, at least a few years ago anyway, at junior level is very poorly run which puts a lot of parents off too - not to mention playing against boys who look like grown men who could be running security on cavil avenue lol.
Veni, vidi, vici