Rugby Union news and discussion.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 50 times

Waratahs need to take game back to the people, or else be swallowed

Post by Beaussie »

Never thought I’d see the day the Waratahs took a game away from Allianz Stadium to play at that dump called Brookvale Oval. Gee Rugby really is struggling.
Waratahs need to take game back to the people, or else be swallowed
By Peter FitzSimons
4 May 2018

It was quite the seminal moment. Two weeks ago, see, the Waratahs were playing the Lions at the Sydney Football Stadium, while the Swans were playing the Adelaide Crows next door at the SCG. The Tahs had about 10,000 spectators, scattered around the cavernous stadium “like confetti in a grave-yard,” to use John Arlott’s felicitous phrase, while the Swannies pulled in four times that number, and were so tightly packed, someone who fainted could not have fallen over. Time and again those watching the Lions put the Tahs to the sword were sitting in something close to mournful silence as the roar of the crowd at the SCG rolled over them like a ball of dirty thunder, making the confetti bounce and the Tahs themselves look at each other with wonder. They’d never heard a crowd noise like it?

It all prompted that cur, Malcolm Knox – who grew up on a solid diet of rugby, but now finds himself ensconced among the Swans faithful – to conclude that Sydney is now an AFL town!
Well, we never.

So, where to, from here, for the Tahs? The answer is, precisely where they are going. To Brookvale Oval tonight, to take on the Blues. If the people won’t come to the game, take the game to the people. Yes, these are tough times for rugby – and certainly never tougher, in the professional age – but there is a way forward.

For even as the rugby crowds have fallen abysmally for the big stadium games they’ve been coming back in the 'burbs. So go back to the 'burbs, to stadiums like Brookvale.

They need to get back to them, get amongst them.

And if it were me, I would put the best of the club-rounds on as curtain-raisers – Manly vs Warringah Rats, Sydney Uni vs Randwick etc.

And if things still go bad, put the Tahs on as curtain-raisers to them. But move, adapt, change!

The best reward for those who go to Brookie tonight might be the Waratahs beating the Auckland Blues, which will be the first victory of an Australian Super team over a New Zealand side in the last 36 times at bat. Tough times, Mama. Tough times, indeed.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/waratahs-n ... 4zdgx.html
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Re: Waratahs need to take game back to the people, or else be swallowed

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Bhaaaaa
Syd is not an afl town .
Just because some rah rah loving RL hating idiot says it's so .
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
NRL&NFLweLaughATafl
Coach
Coach
Team: Manly Sea Eagles and Huddersfield Giants
Been liked: 13 times

Re: Waratahs need to take game back to the people, or else be swallowed

Post by NRL&NFLweLaughATafl »

They should play at North Sydney oval. The North Shore is rugby union heartland.
The Shute grand final was close to a sellout there.
RUGBY LEAGUE 28 FIRST GRADE CLUBS IN 5 COUNTRIES
🇦🇺 🇨🇦 🇫🇷 🇳🇿 🇬🇧
AUSSIE RULES 18 FIRST GRADE CLUBS IN 1 COUNTRY
🇭🇲
Rugby League in Canada (Toronto Wolfpack)
http://www.torontowolfpack.com

UK Rugby League
http://www.rugby-league.com