The GWS membership & crowds myth.

Australian Football news and discussion.
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

The GWS membership & crowds myth.

Post by Terry »

I recently checked out the AFL clubs annual reports for 2017 and came across a strange anomaly. The revenue for GWS membership and home crowds doesn't stack up to the numbers they put out.

GWS reported revenue for membership and merchandise at 1.8M for the year. (For some reason they put the two together). They showed nothing for ticketing i.e. home crowd non members buying tickets. They boasted 20,944 members and home crowd averages of 13.3k.

The Gold Coast Suns reported revenue for Members & ticketing at 6.2M. They reported merchandise separately at 409K for a total of 6.610M. Nearly four times the revenue of GWS. They reported membership at 11.5K & average crowds at 11.5k.

How can GWS have twice the number of members and 2k more average crowds than the Suns yet make 4 times less money from these sources? Suns 6.2M V GWS 1.8M.

For further comparison the Swans reported 15.5M for membership & matchday & 684k for merchandise for total of 16.2M. They had 58K members and avg. crowds of 34.4K. By that comparison GWS should show revenue of over 5M.

Where is all this missing revenue?? Is there a thief in the GWS accounts department? Do they give away 2/3's of their memberships & tickets? Or, god forbid, do they just massively exaggerate their membership and crowds???

I looked further and found these stats on that great site Footyindusty. It is from the GWS website:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DA-1rdwUMAITe0L.jpg:large

Of their 20k+ members they state they have 14,372 in NSW. However when they break down the numbers into the 'top regions' in the state the total only comes to 4,450K. There is nearly 10K missing members?????????? Where are they hiding???

If you add their stated NSW members with their ACT members they total 8,718k. With their interstate members they'd be lucky to get to 10k.

Strangely enough if their membership is in fact around 10k it would explain most of their missing revenue. Add in free tickets to non members or simply inflated crowd numbers and voila.........the black hole in revenue is explained. GWS membership & crowd numbers are simply a myth. They massively inflate the numbers for propaganda and marketing purposes.

Next time someone says GWS have more members than most Sydney RL clubs tell 'em their dreaming. They have barely 4k in all of Sydney.

http://footyindustry.com/files/2017%20A ... Report.pdf
http://footyindustry.com//files/2017%20 ... Report.pdf
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Re: The GWS membership & crowds myth.

Post by NlolRL »

Someone needs a new hobby. Fact checking the giants annual report. Wtf? Lol
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

NlolRL wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:45 pm
Someone needs a new hobby. Fact checking the giants annual report. Wtf? Lol
House bound due to crook back actually. No comment on the great GWS myth???????
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

The_Wookie wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:30 pm
well fuck me its almost like I said this two days ago, and last year too. Im sure you did extensive research.
Geeeeezzzz.....what's ya problem pal? Cranky I got the annual reports off footyindustry? I stated where I got the info from.

Do you agree their membership and crowd numbers are BS?????
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Terry wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:40 pm
I recently checked out the AFL clubs annual reports for 2017 and came across a strange anomaly. The revenue for GWS membership and home crowds doesn't stack up to the numbers they put out.

GWS reported revenue for membership and merchandise at 1.8M for the year. (For some reason they put the two together). They showed nothing for ticketing i.e. home crowd non members buying tickets. They boasted 20,944 members and home crowd averages of 13.3k.

The Gold Coast Suns reported revenue for Members & ticketing at 6.2M. They reported merchandise separately at 409K for a total of 6.610M. Nearly four times the revenue of GWS. They reported membership at 11.5K & average crowds at 11.5k.

How can GWS have twice the number of members and 2k more average crowds than the Suns yet make 4 times less money from these sources? Suns 6.2M V GWS 1.8M.

For further comparison the Swans reported 15.5M for membership & matchday & 684k for merchandise for total of 16.2M. They had 58K members and avg. crowds of 34.4K. By that comparison GWS should show revenue of over 5M.

Where is all this missing revenue?? Is there a thief in the GWS accounts department? Do they give away 2/3's of their memberships & tickets? Or, god forbid, do they just massively exaggerate their membership and crowds???

I looked further and found these stats on that great site Footyindusty. It is from the GWS website:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DA-1rdwUMAITe0L.jpg:large

Of their 20k+ members they state they have 14,372 in NSW. However when they break down the numbers into the 'top regions' in the state the total only comes to 4,450K. There is nearly 10K missing members?????????? Where are they hiding???

If you add their stated NSW members with their ACT members they total 8,718k. With their interstate members they'd be lucky to get to 10k.

Strangely enough if their membership is in fact around 10k it would explain most of their missing revenue. Add in free tickets to non members or simply inflated crowd numbers and voila.........the black hole in revenue is explained. GWS membership & crowd numbers are simply a myth. They massively inflate the numbers for propaganda and marketing purposes.

Next time someone says GWS have more members than most Sydney RL clubs tell 'em their dreaming. They have barely 4k in all of Sydney.

http://footyindustry.com//files/2017%20 ... Report.pdf
this doesn't surprise me at all..
good fact checking :thumbleft:

I would put it down to a few things

1. Inflating crowds
2. giveaways / heavly discounted.
3. free memberships
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

When they say they have nearly twice the members as the Suns but take a 1/3 of the revenue you know there is a massive problem. I'm amazed they get away with this BS. The other codes should call 'em out over it. No doubt they'll be boasting during the season they have more members than Sydney RL & soccer clubs.

Here's another story where Paul Roos actually says he used to get frustrated about the AFL telling everyone how great they were going in Sydney when in fact, "it couldn't be further from the truth".

http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/afl/ ... fafdbbe8e1
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

I dunno Wookie......maybe when you started your post with "well fuck me".....it kinda put me off a tad lololololololol.

TBH, this is a massive fraud & I truly don't know how GWS get away with it. RL got flogged in the media last year because some un-named, unknown source said they fudged their Sydney finals crowds. Even when an official said it was untrue it went on and on.

Here are verifiable stats pointing to a massive discrepancy in member numbers & there is silence. And of course the AFL & media outlets will be telling everyone that GWS now has more members than most Sydney RL clubs. It's total BS. If the NRL had any cohuna's they'd call this out for what it is.

I might get PeterB onto the job........ but he's probably too busy studying up on club monikers.
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

The main point is memberships. I have directly compared AFL club V AFL club and GWS have been found out as fraudsters. You can cry 'what about the NRL' as a deflection in every argument as you do Wookie - won't change the facts my friend.
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

The_Wookie wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:56 am
Its valid. We dont bitch about your clubs alleged membership bullshit figures. But hey, whining about the AFL is apparently the biggest part of being a league fan around here.
So you concede GWS numbers are total BS but it's ok because someone else does it. Great! I don't accept any NRL club lnflates their numbers anywhere near the massive way GWS do.

And by your logic if an accountant gets charged with larceny it's ok because other accountants do it to.

Seems to be the Fumblehouse mantra as well.
Bbear
Seniors
Seniors
Team: brisbane bears
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Bbear »

Giants fans march to the preliminary final last season. Picture: Toby Zerna
GWS
GWS Giants have more members than three NRL clubs in western Sydney as they pass 20,000 mark
BEN HORNE, The Daily Telegraph
May 29, 2017 6:45pm
GWS Giants’ bold bid to take over Sydney’s west has gained serious momentum with the AFL’s rising powerhouse eclipsing 20,000 members.

Fresh from one of the finest wins in the club’s history in Perth on Sunday, GWS has officially arrived as a force to be reckoned with in the most competitive battlefield in Australian sport.

The Parramatta Eels are now the only western Sydney NRL club with a higher membership base than the surging Giants, who have recorded a 30 per cent membership spike over the past 12 months to register 20,102 paid up supporters.

Rugby league’s immense presence in the west is of course spread across four teams — Parramatta, Penrith, Canterbury and Wests Tigers — but there is now no denying the Giants position as one of the biggest and fastest growing sporting brands in Sydney.

Only the Sydney Swans (57,775), South Sydney Rabbitohs (30,080) and Parramatta (22,666) rank higher than the Giants, who are now going blow for blow in matching the Western Sydney Wanderers membership base.

A huge crowd watch the Giants play in last year’s preliminary final at Spotless Stadium. Picture: Phil Hillyard
For years the Giants’ fan base, or lack thereof, has been a running joke in AFL circles, but the numbers prove GWS’ extraordinary on-field performances are captivating a tough love city that has always loved a winner.

“I think it’s come a little bit ahead of time. It really puts us in the top three or four sporting clubs in Sydney in terms of membership numbers and where we’re tracking,” Giants’ CEO Dave Matthews told The Daily Telegraph.

“We know that Sydney’s sporting landscape doesn’t have the membership culture that the AFL has in Melbourne … but this is a fantastic milestone for us. It’s a bit of a magical barrier to be honest.”

The Giants’ membership base is boosted by 4268 supporters in the ACT but heartland NRL areas like Blacktown, Parramatta, Penrith and Macarthur rank among their strongest areas.

Nearly 5000 new members have signed up in 2017 alone, and if the Giants’ stunning triumph over the West Coast Eagles with 10 top line stars out injured is anything to go by, more punters will be voting with their feet by finals time.

Jeremy Cameron kicks a goal in front of a decent crowd at Spotless Stadium. Picture: Getty Images
GWS captain Phil Davis was at the club when Giants supporters were as rare as hen’s teeth, and he says the playing group take pride in the role they’ve played in putting the fledgling club on the map.

“Twenty thousand has always been the goal and to get there now is fantastic,” said Davis.

“It’s an enormous achievement and it’s definitely been a great effort by the admin staff but also the playing group.

“I think the club has been built on a real fan-first mentality in terms of how we go about it. We play a good brand of footy that we hope people like to watch and can support.”

The Giants say they’ve been boosted by their women’s AFL team and also the GWS netball franchise — with 38 per cent of the club’s membership base female.

CEO Matthews says the challenge is now to turn strong membership numbers into consistent big crowds.

“We’ve got a really aggressive focus on growing our attendances and membership and we won’t stop at just over 20,000,” he said.

“Certainly this is a really, really significant milestone and it’s further vindication of the AFL’s decision to start a second club in Sydney.”
Good honest report from The Telegraph.

Just turned my calculator on, punching in some numbers, these figures stack up for me, 4500 members from top areas, 10000 members spread over the rest of NSW and 4500 ACT members approximately close to 20000 just as the Telegraph reported. It all adds up, great set of numbers.
This is terrific news for a young club, credit where credit is due.
I didn't want a crap name anymore !
Formally RLcrap
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

You clearly failed maths in infants school pal. And no doubt you haven't got the cognitive ability to break away from the great god fumble. Good luck and god's speed.
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

So what's the predictions for the almighty Giants home crowd tomorrow at Spotless. This must be broken up into 3 categories: 1) actual crowd 2) Announced crowd & 3) Paying crowd.

Their first home game was announced as just over 10k. Yes.....stop laughing.....I know, I know!!! The actual crowd was closer to 4k. Going by last years revenue for members etc the paying crowd was probably around 1.5k.

Tomorrow they play the West Coast mob who will have more travelling supporters than the Lions did. Plus GWS are giving away 1k tickets to anyone willing to attempt a Guiness world record for 30 minute boxing class. Yep.....I now......desperate lololololololol They also get free boxing gloves or pads lololololol.

So I predict: 1) 11k 2 ) 5k 3) 1.8k.

Should be a massive day out at good 'ol Spotty.......lololololol!!!!!!!
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Post by NlolRL »

But the NRLs crowds and membership numbers are all ridgy didge
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

NlolRL wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:27 pm
But the NRLs crowds and membership numbers are all ridgy didge
Well said pal!!!

Now back to the point of the post: any predictions for the mess at Spotless tomorrow???????
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

The useless Midgets are trying for a world record in boxercise At the end of their match. The thing is anyone who enters gets free tickets and free mits. Firstly I don’t know why they would attempt that at a giants game considering no one goes and secondly this is how desperate they have become I really hope this is costing them money. Thirdly, they will probably fudge the result anyway

So basically it's free admittance for anyone who says yeh I'm here for the BOXERCISE
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o