National vs International

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Scorger Man
Reserves
Reserves
Team: Richmond Tigers
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

National vs International

Post by Scorger Man »

This one goes out to Beaussie as I'm sure he'd stir on this.

In Rubgy League, a player aspires to wear the Green and Gold from when he's knee high to a grass hopper. He hopes one day he can play for his country against other countries that play the same game (and not a half baked combination of two games that has only one other country to play against)

It's great and hooray for the AFL if they have the truly "National" game (of which the jury are still out on) but whats the good if you can't play other countries in the chosen sport? To sit around and bat off saying we're the best in the world, to say that no other country can beat us in AFL - so what, your the only country that plays it!
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

International rugby league and it's appeal to the masses in Australia is very overrated. Look at the piss poor crowds that turn out to watch Australia play in so-called rugby league heartlands of Sydney and Brisbane. Has any team ever beaten Australia? :roll:

In any case, I'm proud of the fact that all round the world, when people think of football in Australia, they think of Australian Football, the truly Indigenous national game, not imported crap from Europe like rugby league, union or soccer.

Most kids in Australia who play footy aspire to one day be part of a premiership winning team in the AFL. You know the game that is ranked 4th, yes 4th in world when it comes to spectator support. Pretty amazing feat I would of thought considering our small population when compared with other nations of the world.

Meanwhile, rugby league doesn't even make the Top 10. Says alot about its so called appeal to the Australian people if you ask me.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Other teams have beaten australia many times before. And im wondering where the concept of an oval shaped ball originated from beaussie?

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Does the shape of a basketball suggest the game has its roots in soccer? :roll:
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

No but balls are generally round aren't they. My question was where did the concept of the 'oval' shaped ball come from beaussie? As far as i can see the oval ball has its origins from europe? Let me know champ :D Whats the AFL ball made out of too? Pig skin? Leather/cow? Smells like europe to me :lol: MOOOOOOOO

xman wrote:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

The ball has been said to have it's origins right here and was made of possum skin.
IAFC wrote:
The men and boys joyfully assemble when this game is to be played. One makes a ball of possum skin, somewhat elastic, but firm and strong. The players of this game do not throw the ball as a white man might do, but drop it and at the same time kicks it with his foot. The tallest men have the best chances in this game. Some of them will leap as high as five feet from the ground to catch the ball. The person who secures the ball kicks it. This continues for hours and the natives never seem to tire of the exercise.
Mr. Thomas, Aboriginal Protector, 1841

http://www.iafc.com.au/marngrook.html
Origins that are truly indigenous to our land/peoples, unlike of course, the imported rugby codes.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

I stand corrected. Very interesting stuff beaussie, although this leaping five feet has me wondering? Its been printed as though they were jumping this high, which is impossible, the highest leapers in basketball have only just reached 4ft vertical leaps. I wonder whether these traditional players had mastered the knee into the back to get five feet off the ground?

xman wrote:
crocodileman
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: National vs International

Post by crocodileman »

Scorger Man wrote:
This one goes out to Beaussie as I'm sure he'd stir on this.

In Rubgy League, a player aspires to wear the Green and Gold from when he's knee high to a grass hopper. He hopes one day he can play for his country against other countries that play the same game (and not a half baked combination of two games that has only one other country to play against)

It's great and hooray for the AFL if they have the truly "National" game (of which the jury are still out on) but whats the good if you can't play other countries in the chosen sport? To sit around and bat off saying we're the best in the world, to say that no other country can beat us in AFL - so what, your the only country that plays it!
Scorger Man, do you still believe in Santa Claus? Most footballers don't give a flying fuck about playing against other countries - it's about money. Do you think if Test Match Rugby League was played for nothing but the honour of representing your country - would the cream of players still play? (Before you answer this, think Joey Johns and the debacle 18 months ago about his possible switch to Union!)

Players are seeking the dough, to make their life better and more comfortable. Sure they love the game, but would the best players play just for the honour of the green and gold? Hardly!

Also, most RL players will tell you that the pinnacle is not Test footy or even SOO. It is winning a premiership with your club - this is the most important game of the year - not a Test against the Kumuls! :lol: