AFLX to begin in February in Adelaide, Sydney and Melbourne

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

AFL at Allianz Stadium in Sydney and Hindmarsh Stadium in Adelaide. This looks interesting and I’ll be going along to check it out in Sydney. Footy on rectangular fields. Maybe we won’t be locked out of a redeveloped ANZ Stadium in Sydney after all. :lol:
Anthony Colangelo

The AFL has confirmed that its inaugural AFLX competition will be held from February 15 to 17 next year, with three round-robin tournaments the main feature of the downsized Australian rules format played on rectangular pitches.

Six teams – Adelaide, Collingwood, Fremantle, Geelong, Port Adelaide and West Coast – will play the first round-robin tournament on Thursday, February 15 at Hindmarsh Stadium in Adelaide, a venue that usually hosts A-League soccer.

Carlton, Essendon, Hawthorn, Melbourne, North Melbourne and St Kilda will play the next night at Etihad Stadium, while the final round robin will happen on February 17 between Brisbane, Gold Coast, GWS, Richmond, Sydney and the Western Bulldogs at Allianz Stadium in Sydney.

In each of the three tournaments there will be two pools of three teams who will play each other once, with the top teams from each pool facing off in a grand final.

Matches will consist of two 10-minute halves with a two-minute half-time break.

There will be 10 players a side in AFLX (seven on the field, three on the bench), which will be played on a rectangular field (similar to a soccer pitch – 60-70 metres wide by 100-120metres long), with two 40metre arcs and a set of four goal posts at each end.

Goals will be worth six points, with 10 points awarded for goals kicked from outside the 40-metre arc. Rushed behinds will result in a free kick for the opposition from directly in front of goal.

There are no limits on rotations and marks taken from backwards kicks will not be paid. Kick-ins will be taken after behinds and goals.

A free kick will be awarded against a player who touches the ball last before it goes out of bounds.

AFL general manager of game development Andrew Dillon said the decision to hold three separate tournaments was made to introduce clubs and the public to the concept.

"AFLX has been created to provide us with the options to play a form of the game in places where oval grounds are limited and to showcase our game internationally at a point in the future," Dillon said.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/aflx ... znszc.html
SportCapital
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Storm-Essendon Bombers-Melbourne Victory
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 76 times

Re: AFLX to begin in February in Adelaide, Sydney and Melbourne

Post by SportCapital »

Beaussie wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:16 am
AFL at Allianz Stadium in Sydney and Hindmarsh Stadium in Adelaide. This looks interesting and I’ll be going along to check it out in Sydney. Footy on rectangular fields. Maybe we won’t be locked out of a redeveloped ANZ Stadium in Sydney after all. :lol:
Anthony Colangelo

The AFL has confirmed that its inaugural AFLX competition will be held from February 15 to 17 next year, with three round-robin tournaments the main feature of the downsized Australian rules format played on rectangular pitches.

Six teams – Adelaide, Collingwood, Fremantle, Geelong, Port Adelaide and West Coast – will play the first round-robin tournament on Thursday, February 15 at Hindmarsh Stadium in Adelaide, a venue that usually hosts A-League soccer.

Carlton, Essendon, Hawthorn, Melbourne, North Melbourne and St Kilda will play the next night at Etihad Stadium, while the final round robin will happen on February 17 between Brisbane, Gold Coast, GWS, Richmond, Sydney and the Western Bulldogs at Allianz Stadium in Sydney.

In each of the three tournaments there will be two pools of three teams who will play each other once, with the top teams from each pool facing off in a grand final.

There will be 10 players a side in AFLX (seven on the field, three on the bench), which will be played on a rectangular field (similar to a soccer pitch – 60-70 metres wide by 100-120metres long), with two 40metre arcs and a set of four goal posts at each end.

Goals will be worth six points, with 10 points awarded for goals kicked from outside the 40-metre arc. Rushed behinds will result in a free kick for the opposition from directly in front of goal.

There are no limits on rotations and marks taken from backwards kicks will not be paid. Kick-ins will be taken after behinds and goals.

A free kick will be awarded against a player who touches the ball last before it goes out of bounds.

AFL general manager of game development Andrew Dillon said the decision to hold three separate tournaments was made to introduce clubs and the public to the concept.

"AFLX has been created to provide us with the options to play a form of the game in places where oval grounds are limited and to showcase our game internationally at a point in the future," Dillon said.

I'm really interested to see this format in action. Just another chance to see the Bombers in action.
Although i feel it'll be more of a showcase for the lesser known talent on lists.
But as a whole I have a feeling this format is aimed at the participation market. Mid week comps across the nation. With only the ultra fit really being able to run for 2 hours this will bring all those that only have 30 minutes of run time in them to the game.
Could be a master stroke from the AFL and another nail in the coffin's for "challenging" leagues.
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Lol
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

Cant wait.
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Should be named the "Irrelevence look at me look at me "3 day laughathon .

This is what happens when your sport has no rep scene .
You have to make up some game to try to get interest.

Will get the lols

& just like the women's afl last year .
The fumble media will be in a frenzy with the propaganda .

Something along the lines of how they have invented a shorter version of their game ..
Pioneers in that area ..blah blah
They will ignore the fact that RU has 7s...have done for ages
RL had 9s ..

🤣
Xman wrote
leagueiscrap
Banned
Team: Essendon
Been liked: 7 times

Post by leagueiscrap »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:07 am
Should be named the "Irrelevence look at me look at me "3 day laughathon .

That’s like any weekend of nrlol round action or that Auckland tournament
But just throw in the word pathetic as well
Australian sporting sponsorship
AFL excess of $50m
A league $30 million plus
ARU $27 million
NRLOL $25 million

Leagueiscrap
and she still changes your nappies as well!
pusseycat replys
Only when I have an accident.
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

I wonder if the crowds will be announced as twice the stadium capacity .

Will there be SELLOUTS ...um hold,on. No tickets were sold for the ladies games

Will be great entertainment for those not in the bubble

🤣
Xman wrote
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

I’ll reserve my judgement. One thing to consider is whether it will be the 20 20 eqivilent ? Will it grow in popularity over and above the original product as we have seen with one day cricket with test and now 20 20 with one day cricket ?? I don’t see it working.
Veni, vidi, vici
NRL&NFLweLaughATafl
Coach
Coach
Team: Manly Sea Eagles and Huddersfield Giants
Been liked: 13 times

Post by NRL&NFLweLaughATafl »

Sounds like AFL is conceding the fact they look like idiots playing a self described football game on and oval field.

So they are simply trying to correct the stupidity of their game, maybe they will get rid of the extra side goals too in AFL Kiss.
RUGBY LEAGUE 28 FIRST GRADE CLUBS IN 5 COUNTRIES
🇦🇺 🇨🇦 🇫🇷 🇳🇿 🇬🇧
AUSSIE RULES 18 FIRST GRADE CLUBS IN 1 COUNTRY
🇭🇲
Rugby League in Canada (Toronto Wolfpack)
http://www.torontowolfpack.com

UK Rugby League
http://www.rugby-league.com
leagueiscrap
Banned

Post by leagueiscrap »

NRL&NFLweLaughATafl wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:43 pm
Sounds like AFL is conceding the fact they look like idiots playing a self described football game on and oval field.

So they are simply trying to correct the stupidity of their game, maybe they will get rid of the extra side goals too in AFL Kiss.
Not quite as stupid as league is classed as football and a separate game! The throw the ball side ways and is a direct simplified dumbed down version of union
AFL excess of $50m
ARU $27 million
NRLOL $25 million

Leagueiscrap
pusseycat replys
leagueiscrap
Banned

Post by leagueiscrap »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:08 pm

Quick go and add another layer of foil in that tin hat! Spazza

At least the afl can pack out a venue! Unlike your mob that has to resort to giving away tickets after its heavily discounted then for its grand final and still couldn’t get a full capacity
AFL excess of $50m
ARU $27 million
NRLOL $25 million

Leagueiscrap
pusseycat replys
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

leagueiscrap wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:05 pm
AFLcrap1 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:08 pm

Quick go and add another layer of foil in that tin hat! Spazza

At least the afl can pack out a venue! Unlike your mob that has to resort to giving away tickets after its heavily discounted then for its grand final and still couldn’t get a full capacity
Oh dear
You are avoiding where I asked will they announce a crowd that's twice the venue capacity .

🤣
Xman wrote
Buzz
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Eagles
Been liked: 0

Post by Buzz »

Beaussie wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:16 am
Anthony Colangelo

:hmm:

Wtf is going on?
Buzz
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Eagles
Been liked: 0

Post by Buzz »

Why should football be played on a rectangular field?

Rugby isn't even football!
SportCapital
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Storm-Essendon Bombers-Melbourne Victory
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 76 times

Post by SportCapital »

Just sinking the dagger ever deeper. [-o<