Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

2005 ARL State of Origin

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

Shaping up as an interesting first match this year I must say. New South Wales have opted for a lighter, yet more mobile pack of forwards. With Queensland picking their usual six monsters to lead the way up front, such a strategy could easily blow up in the Blues' faces.

New South Wales do however hold a height advantage in the backs, and tackling machines Shaun Berrigan and Paul Bowman will have their stamina put to the test on Wednesday night as I am certain the Blues will look to attack the Maroons on the fringes regularly.

Queensland were considered slight favourites earlier in the week, but after news that Lock Forward Tonie Carroll was ruled out due to a calf injury, money poured in for the Blues. Carroll will be replaced by Brisbane Utility Casey McGuire, who will make his Origin debut from the bench. Sydney Rooster Chris Flannery will fill in at Lock for the Queensland.

Darren Lockyer will be tested without his so called "bodygaurd", but he is a tough character and im sure he'll be determined not to let his state down.

Key match ups:

Kimmorley -vs- Thurston
King -vs- Williams
Buderus -vs- Smith
And of course, NSW's bench -vs- Qld's bench

Odds for Wendesday's match is as follows (7:00pm, May 24):

Game 1:

New South Wales $1.80
Queensland $1.95

Series:

New South Wales $1.83
Queensland $1.93

I feel this will be a high scoring game, with the Blues picking a very attacking team which the Maroons will look to respond to.

My tip is NSW 28-26, with goal kicking to be the difference!
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

I'm by no means a rugby league fan but I will watch SoO.

Go NSW. :P
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

Over-rated tripe with players from both teams lacking cohesion due to only training together for a week or two.

Who wins? Probably Channel 9 with the game likely to be a ratings bonanza! They will be praying for a high scoring game too as it will give them ample opportunity to go to ad breaks.

In fact, watch for the over-abundance of advertisements interrupting key points of the game. However, if it means less of that drunk Warren, that dope Vautin and the boring Sterling than it can only be a good thing!
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

Well, the end result was a 24-20 extra time win to the Maroons. The Blues came back hard though, Craig Wing did it almost single-handedly with some brilliant runs out of dummy-half.

The Toads led 13-0 at the break and skipped away to 19-0 not long after. But the Blues put on 20 points in around 15 minutes to take the lead 20-19 with just 5 minutes to go.

A Johnathon Thurston drop goal attempt looked like it was missing, but it struck and NSW player and, as luck would have it, it sailed between the posts with a minute to go and took the match into sudden death extra time.

After 4 nervous minutes, Matt Bowen took an intercept off a Brett Kimmorley pass and ran 30m to score and win the game for the Maroons.

Heartbreaking stuff for us Blues fans, but payback in a way for our extra time drop goal last year in game 1 to win 9-8.

Interestingly, the loser in both of those matches actually scored the most tries :?

Should be a cracker of a game once again at Telstra Stadium on June 15.

Congrats go to Thurston, Thorn, Price, Webb, Wing, Hindmarsh and Kennedy on superb efforts.

The Ben Kusto award for disgraceful performances go to Kimmorley, Ryles, Barrrett, Cooper and Gasnier. Skill and effort is obvioulsy no match for ego :roll:

Hope the Blues lift their game!
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

I agree and disagree dizzy's. cant remember thorn doing much at all, just the typical stuff he does, kimorley though is shit and i believe gower or johns should get the spot for game 2. Hindmarsh is a freak but i want to see the big man make a break once he gets going he's got some real speed, its bloody great to watch.

I didnt see wing do much, a couple of dummy half runs for 12 odd metres?

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?