Even Rebecca Wilson Can't Save the NRL Footy Show

NRL, State of Origin and International football TV ratings and discussion.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Even Rebecca Wilson Can't Save the NRL Footy Show

Post by Beaussie »

SMH wrote:
Fatty and co not top league in the ratings
By Jessica Halloran
May 21, 2005
http://www.smh.com.au/news/League/Fatty ... 45322.html

A snip here and a tuck there, then on with the show
Fifteen minutes was enough time for 75,200 Sydney viewers of The Footy Show to decide to tune out.

At 9.45pm on Thursday, 361,100 tuned in to watch controversial new panellist Rebecca Wilson in her first gig on the show, but by 10pm the audience dipped to 285,900.

In the lead-up it was hyped up as a Footy Show "showdown" or "brawl" amid talk that Wilson may be frozen out by hosts Paul Vautin and Peter Sterling. That didn't happen.

It was a fairly sedate occasion and by the end of the show there were 294,300 still interested.

However, with the addition of Wilson about 85,000 more viewers than last week tuned in to watch Fatty and the gang - and Rebecca. The average audience for the show was 304,720.

But The Footy Show didn't figure in the top shows watched and came in 17th. The program was third in its timeslot behind Seven's The Amazing Race and Channel Ten's Medical Investigation.

While The Footy Show numbers were stronger in Sydney, viewers in Brisbane didn't care much for Wilson's controversial inclusion on the panel. The audience was down by nine per cent, or 14,000.

Pre-Wilson, last week, The Footy Show attracted only 219,000 viewers in Sydney and 150,000 in Brisbane.

In Sydney, Channel Seven's drama series Lost and an Everybody Loves Raymond repeat took out the top spots with 511,000 and 424,000 viewers respectively.
Gees things aren't looking good. Discussion about the show was all throughout the media in Sydney and yet the show still got smashed in the ratings. Is this the end of the NRL Footy Show?
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

How could anyone believe rebecca wilson could save anything?

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

King-Eliagh wrote:
How could anyone believe rebecca wilson could save anything?
Considering the TV ratings spiked based on her first appearance before dropping dramatically after the first 15 minutes (still better than the week before, despite still coming last in the timeslot), do you think the Footy Show will make out the rest of the season?
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

In a surprise result, it was reported in today's paper that the Footy Show on Thrusday night experienced it's highest ratings night so far this year. It also defeated the Amazing Race and won it's timeslot. I must admit, if good football talk and stories are what you're after then Thursday's show was one of the best in years. Personally, I really enjoyed it. It's quite refreshing as the "Hey, Hey It's Thursday" concept has worn a little thin over time.
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Won its time slot? Beat amazing race? :lol: Beaussie i feel for you mate, all your energy into hacking on this show and look what happens :lol: . I guess the old saying any publicity is good publicity works eh. Funny thing is you're part of the paradox mate :lol: :lol:

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
In a surprise result, it was reported in today's paper that the Footy Show on Thrusday night experienced it's highest ratings night so far this year.
How can that be the case? Yes I've seen the article with the following.
SMH wrote:
The Nine Network show, hosted by Paul "Fatty" Vautin and Peter Sterling last night scored its highest rating for the year, with 330,000 viewers tuning in.
Um correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the week before get a rating of 361,000? The first article in this thread clearly shows that. How can 330,000 be more than 361,000? Dodgy figures if you ask me and typical of the SMH who are laying the boot into one of their rivals from News Ltd.

Even if it is shown the Footy Show did win it's timeslot, such figures are nothing on what the Amazing Race and Medical Investigations got the week before.

One would've expect the ratings to have increased as a result of SoO the night before anyway. Let's just wait and see if the increase in audience share continues. I don't think it'll last.
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

I think you've misunderstood the original article Beaussie. I believe it is stating the audience for particular times. For example it says:
Original article wrote:
At 9.45pm on Thursday, 361,100 tuned in
Which was followed by:
Original article wrote:
but by 10pm the audience dipped to 285,900
The article is noting specific times during the show, so you can assume it is refering to peaks and lows. The most recent article in the paper states the show's average, which was the highest for this year.
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80