Predictions for the Second Cricket Test.

Whether it be cricket, golf, basketball, tennis, boxing or any other sport - this is the place for you.
crocodileman
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Predictions for the Second Cricket Test.

Post by crocodileman »

Q.1. Who will win? (or a draw!)

Q.2. Who will be MOTM?

Q.3. Who will make the most runs for each team?

Q.4. Who will take the most wickets for each team?

Q.5. When will the game finish?

Q.6. Will there be any fallout/controversy from the game? If so, what?

I'm still thinking about most of these questions. I would appreciate others' thoughts.
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Re: Predictions for the Second Cricket Test.

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

crocodileman wrote:

Q.2. Who will be MOTM?

I'm still thinking about most of these questions. I would appreciate others' thoughts.
Q.1. Certainly can't tip against Australia after a crushing 1st Test win. The thing that made it even more crushing was the fact that New Zealand were in the box seat late on Day 2, yet come day 4 they were smashed by more than an innings. That is a major turn-around that I think has gone a little un-noticed due to the brilliant scenes of Day 3 with 2 centuries in the middle order and the half-centurys from our great fast bowlers.

Q.2. Shane Warne. Considering his recovery from injury and limited time in the middle coming into the 1st Test, he bowled brilliantly in both innings with great amounts of variation. If New Zealand can avoid follow-ons or a repeat of the 1st Test, as well as bat last, Warne could be headed for 6 or 7 fa.

Let's not forget Lehmann also. If he gets in on that pitch on a bright and sunny 1 and 2nd day, look out Kiwis! Assuming the spinners are used more often on the Adelaide pitch, Lehmann should be set for a big score.

Q.3. I'll have a guess and say and say Lehmann for Australia and Astle for New Zealand.

Q.4. Warne for Australia and Vettori for New Zealand. It'll be interesting to see how Franklin goes too.

Q.5. 5th day, just before or after Lunch.

Q.6. Mass changes will be made to the Kiwis Test line-up after the conclusion of this series. When I say mass, probably 3-4, possibly 5. Not sure why, I just have a feeling.
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80
crocodileman

Re: Predictions for the Second Cricket Test.

Post by crocodileman »

crocodileman wrote:

Q.2. Who will be MOTM?

Q.1. I believe we will win again, although the weather may be a factor. At the moment 36 degree temperatures are being predicted for the first two days of the Test and this may result in the pitch cracking up or deteriorating badly on the last 2 days. Therefore, the toss will be important.

Also, I havent seen the longer (5 day) weather forecast for Adelaide, although I know from personal experience that after several days of high temperatures, Adelaide weather can change dramatically and so a draw would not be a surprise, resulting from rain.

All in all, though, Australia to win!

Q.2. I'm figuring the best of the batting conditions will be on day 1/2 so I reckon someone high up the order in either team will score a big century (or even a double!) So, I'm predicting Matthew Hayden as he is known for big scores.

Q.3. Hayden and Fleming - cream rises to the top!

Q.4. I agree, uppy, Adelaide favours spinners, so I think Vettori and Warne will be the leading wicket takers.

Q.5. I believe, as well, it will finish during session 2 on day 5.

Q.6. Lehmann will be dropped from the team after an ordinary test with the bat! (sorry to disagree with you upp!) Generational change will be the reason given by selectors.
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

crocodileman wrote:
Q.6. Lehmann will be dropped from the team after an ordinary test with the bat! (sorry to disagree with you upp!) Generational change will be the reason given by selectors.
Very possible.

I suppose, for Lehmann, this could be a make or break Test for him ala Steve Waugh in Sydney against the Poms. A big score could see him get another series or two in the baggy green, but anything that doesn't catch the attention of the selectors (i.e. a failure, or even a score of 30 or 40) could see Adelaide being the location where his career ends. With the generational change that you speak of being inevitable for this side sooner or later, Boof will need to give the selectors a big reason for them to keep him in the side infront of the likes of Katich.

So, at the moment i'll tip Boof to stand up to the pressure and present a powerful case to the selectors. But, all it will take is a tiny outside edge or a moments lapse in concentration and Lehmann's career could well be over.

Formerly Uppy80
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

He might have other things to worry about during the game.

Hey Uppy, have you heard anything about some type of running race taking place during the Test, between the slowest members of each team (I think it is in the lunch break on day 3 or 4?) Apparently, Lehmann as the slowest member of our team is cmpeting - don't know against who though!
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

crocodileman wrote:

Hey Uppy, have you heard anything about some type of running race taking place during the Test, between the slowest members of each team (I think it is in the lunch break on day 3 or 4?) Apparently, Lehmann as the slowest member of our team is cmpeting - don't know against who though!
LOL. No I haven't heard. Would be interesting to see! :lol: I'm not sure if there are any mildly obese Kiwis in their squad either.

I wonder what distance it is to be over? Anything over the length of the pitch and Boof would surely collapse :lol:

Formerly Uppy80
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
crocodileman wrote:

LOL. No I haven't heard. Would be interesting to see! :lol: I'm not sure if there are any mildly obese Kiwis in their squad either.

I wonder what distance it is to be over? Anything over the length of the pitch and Boof would surely collapse :lol:
I'm sure it's over 100 metres - I'm determined to find out more about it now. Hopefully, I havent been played for a fool - again! :lol:
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

Either way, i'll tip the Kiwi to win. Doesn't matter who it is :lol:

Formerly Uppy80
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

There you go uppy, I'm not going crazy - it's about halfway down the article.

He's racing Mark Richardson over 100 metres and he's actually the favourite!

'Boof' looks for Ashes handout
Cricket
Wednesday, 24 November 2004

Australian batsman Darren Lehmann yesterday scotched speculation he would retire after his hometown Test match against New Zealand starting on Friday in Adelaide.

Lehmann conceded he was under pressure to retain his spot in the powerful Australian side following a run of low scores.

The left-hander's Test average has plummeted by almost five runs following paltry returns in his past four Tests, but Lehmann said he was not planning to retire after the second Test against the Kiwis at Adelaide Oval.

"I heard that," Lehmann said yesterday of the retirement rumour. "But I'm definitely not retiring. If I'm enjoying cricket, I'll keep playing and I am certainly enjoying playing cricket these days.

"There are no thoughts about that [retirement] at all."

Lehmann's grip on his place became more tenuous following a first Test failure against the Kiwis in Brisbane when he made just eight. The continued sterling form of NSW's Simon Katich, who was overlooked for the Brisbane series opener against the Kiwis as Lehmann returned from injury, has also increased pressure on the South Australian.

Lehmann said he would approach the second Test as if it was his last.

"I think you have to do that anyway," he said. "With so many good players around Australia waiting in the wings, everyone in the side ... has to play well each and every Test match.

"There are so many players waiting who are out of the side, Simon Katich is one, Brett Lee is not in the XI at the moment ... so each one of us has to play well each and every time and that is a good, healthy thing."

Lehmann said his goal was to retain his Australian spot for next year's Ashes tour.

"I have never been on one and it's something every cricketer aspires to, so I'd love to be on an Ashes tour," he said.

"And that is the whole goal - try and get there and play in a full Ashes tour, so that is where I'm at at the moment and hopefully I get there."

Lehmann hoped playing in front of an adoring Adelaide crowd would help him return to form.

"Because it's a home Test, I really want to do well in front of my home crowd, family and friends - that is just a natural thing," he said. "But at the end of the day, it's a cricket ball coming down from 22 yards and you have got to play it on its merits and away you go from there.

"I have been feeling really well in the nets, I'd like to bat better in the middle."

MARK Richardson struggled for runs in the first Test and he is also struggling for support for his much-anticipated race with Darren Lehmann next week.

The New Zealand opener, nicknamed Rig (as in Rigor Mortis), was yesterday rated a $2.30 outsider by Centrebet.

Lehmann, nicknamed Boof, was a $1.55 favourite in the 100m sprint between the slowest members of each side.

"Richardson dresses like Cathy Freeman but runs like Gary Freeman," Centrebet's Gerard Daffy said. "No-one nicknamed Rigor could be the favourite for any athletics event, could they?"

Richardson began the tradition against the slowest opposition player last year when he beat Pakistan's Danish Kaneria, but was just pipped by England's Ashley Giles in his latest contest in June. He sported a beige figure- hugging bodysuit for the occasion.

Not only is Lehmann expected to outsprint Richardson, he is also expected to outscore him on the field. Centrebet had Lehmann at $1.80, with Richardson at $1.90 in a head-to-head contest for most runs.

Australia is $1.45 favourite to sweep the series 2-0 while Centrebet is offering $10 for a New Zealand win.
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

So how did your predictions go? I think we were pretty close with our assessment. Both Dizi and I were spot on about the time when the Test concluded, and I think I hinted at a double century being scored on days 1/2. :cool:
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
crocodileman wrote:

And here's the result of that charity event held on the final day of the Test. It seems Dizzi was right, despite 'Boof' being clear favourite with Centrebet.

Finally a New Zealander wins something

Peter English

November 30, 2004

Rigor beat Boof to win the heavyweight dash © Getty Images

It was the contest that created more interest than Australia's demolition. There was hype, pre-event jibes and a $3000 prize pool. The only thing missing was bill posters of the heavyweight dash between Darren "Boof" Lehmann and Mark "Rigor Mortis" Richardson.

A charity and a comedy, the foot race was an episode of Snail and Pace. Justin Langer led the combatants out with an Australian flag draped from his head and a healthy and patient crowd cheered Lehmann, who hid a green-and-gold lycra body-suit under a tracksuit. While Richardson paraded in his beige body-hugger, Lehmann maintained his decorum by wearing a blue shirt to cover his curves.

The 110-metre course was like completing an all-run five, something neither batsman has done often over long careers. Rather than setting in, Rigor Mortis set off and had the race by the halfway stage keg jump. Boof has faced many selection hurdles in his career, but this one cost him the race. The final margin was so convincing that the video referee had the day off.

"Once I got to the keg and got over that I was pretty happy," said Richardson. "I thought at that stage he might actually stop and sit down and have a drink from the keg, but he kept running."

Richardson, who has made the race an end-of-series tradition, collected a host of bragging rights and A$2000 for Intellectually Handicapped Children. Lehmann pocketed $1000 for the Shane Warne Foundation after donations from Travelex and the National Bank of New Zealand. There was pre-race speculation that Warne was actually the slowest Australian, and Lehmann did not rule out challenging Warne or lining up in the Stawell Gift.

"The boys wouldn't let me back into the change-room if we didn't win this one," Richardson said. "But the only thing I'll be remembered for in Australia is stupidity." Both players returned with hamstrings in the same number of pieces as two loud Kiwi fans celebrated beating Australia at something.

© Wisden Cricinfo Ltd