AFL football TV ratings and discussion.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

AFL may seek new TV deal for women's competition

Post by Beaussie »

Wow, this game just continues to grow and surprise the AFL and broadcasters. Great to see.
Caroline Wilson
February 17 2017

If ever there was a good problem to have it is the dilemma that faces the AFL as it works to manage the runaway train that is the new national women's competition. Not to mention reap the rewards and share the spoils of a phenomenon that it not long ago worried it would struggle to sell.

Because the spectacular success of AFL Women's is not only a game-changer in sporting terms but also looks likely to force the competition to renegotiate the bargain-basement broadcast agreement struck with the Seven Network and Foxtel.

And with Channel Seven's prime-time women's series being conservatively valued at $1 million a game, the potential new media deal would also see the footballers strike a new pay agreement despite their current two-year contracts.

As the competition struggles to keep up with the women's juggernaut and with broadcasters having run out of commercial space to sell, the league is set to review the boundaries it placed around the fledgling league.

AFL Players Association chief Paul Marsh admitted the players' union had already planned end-of-season talks with head office, although stressed what most clubs had confirmed – that the players have not questioned their earnings.

Having attempted to set a minimum player wage of $5000 for the eight-week pre-season followed by the eight-week season, the AFL late last year negotiated a new set minimum with the AFLPA of $8500, to be increased to $9700 in 2018.

If the above suggests the league did not see this success coming so quickly, it is also worth recalling that the AFL tried to schedule its first women's game at Collingwood's training ground – the old Olympic Park – and finished up apologising to thousands of fans unable to squeeze into Carlton's Ikon Park, where almost 25,000 attended.

Although the women's contracts are proportionately paltry when measured against TV ratings, the clubs fielding the eight women's teams continue to marvel at how enthusiastic their players have been to promote their sport compared with their male counterparts. In short, club officials are not used to footballers showing their appreciation.

Several Brisbane Lions AFLW players cried when they were handed new football boots along with a set of runners and like those overstretched AFL staffers working long hours to put on the games, Marsh said players understood they were all working overtime together to achieve a common purpose.

"We've agreed to a standard playing contract for two years in good faith," said Marsh, "and they [the AFL] could hold us to that, but we've already flagged we want to have a conversation with them and they've agreed.

"What we're seeing is eight teams and eight sets of players who all want to do more. They are contracted to work for nine hours a week in terms of training and other appearances and they're all doing more and they have no complaints about that. From our perspective there's scope to have conversations with the AFL where we look at that for next year."

The AFL refused to speculate on a new women's media deal, saying it was too soon to measure the TV success just two rounds in, but would not rule out rewriting the agreement. How could it not on the figures to date? The Western Bulldogs' victory over Fremantle two weeks ago was the top-rating program in Melbourne that week, defeating My Kitchen Rules in a result that astonished the Seven Network. On market value, broadcasters and the AFL agree a prime-time women's game is worth the same as Seven's Saturday night winter AFL game.

This is because Saturday night telecasts of AFLW have, in their infancy, rated as well as their male AFL equivalents, and on many comparisons better. On pay TV, Fox reports that the competition has quadrupled its male A-League numbers. In ratings terms, the women Australian rules footballers' wages look embarrassing when compared with the soccer men.

On every measure that counts, the AFL should be laughing all the way to the bank. As should its new breed of players. Except that they're not, because the competition gave away the broadcast rights for free to Channel Seven and Foxtel on a two-year goodwill agreement.

At one point the two parties even haggled over the production costs although in the end the networks picked up the tab, outsourcing the production of all games to Eddie McGuire's McGuire Media. An agreement which only weeks ago appeared as if its broadcasters were doing the AFL a favour now presents as a bargain of the highest order.

The decision to allow spectators to attend free has introduced new supporters to football, according to head office, and is likely to continue next season. New corporate partners such as Chemist Warehouse and Cotton On – supporting the women until at least the end of 2019 with a further three-year option – would not have come aboard the AFL without the women.

The competition was disappointed Sydney failed to bid for a licence but the consequence is that GWS has signed more AFLW members (2000 at $60 each) and introduced new major sponsors to the club in Harvey Norman and Sydney Airport. Never have the Giants, still battling for recognition, received so much pre-season publicity.

The short-term decisions facing the competition include where and when to hold the AFLW version of the Brownlow and whether to schedule a Melbourne grand final at the MCG or Ikon Park. But those appear insignificant compared with the looming review into how to handle the next phase of the AFLW - a competition launched in haste by impatient CEO Gillon McLachlan, but one that will surely prove his greatest legacy.

Should the women's season continue to draw support at its current success rate - or even if it suffers a small drop-off as other competitions start - the cost-sensitive AFL will have to fund a raft of new resources for its new population in terms of staff and infrastructure.

There are not enough grounds and facilities to field the rapid influx of new teams coming into women's football – certainly not in Victoria and definitely not in NSW.

A renegotiated broadcast deal would help fund that and seems a certainty for season 2018. And with that, greater reward for the playing pioneers who helped create all this.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/womens-afl/af ... ufs96.html
therealist
Team: Brisbane Broncos
Been liked: 0

Re: AFL may seek new TV deal for women's competition

Post by therealist »

Beaussie wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:33 am
Wow, this game just continues to grow and surprise the AFL and broadcasters. Great to see.
Caroline Wilson
February 17 2017

If ever there was a good problem to have it is the dilemma that faces the AFL as it works to manage the runaway train that is the new national women's competition. Not to mention reap the rewards and share the spoils of a phenomenon that it not long ago worried it would struggle to sell.

Because the spectacular success of AFL Women's is not only a game-changer in sporting terms but also looks likely to force the competition to renegotiate the bargain-basement broadcast agreement struck with the Seven Network and Foxtel.

And with Channel Seven's prime-time women's series being conservatively valued at $1 million a game, the potential new media deal would also see the footballers strike a new pay agreement despite their current two-year contracts.

As the competition struggles to keep up with the women's juggernaut and with broadcasters having run out of commercial space to sell, the league is set to review the boundaries it placed around the fledgling league.

AFL Players Association chief Paul Marsh admitted the players' union had already planned end-of-season talks with head office, although stressed what most clubs had confirmed – that the players have not questioned their earnings.

Having attempted to set a minimum player wage of $5000 for the eight-week pre-season followed by the eight-week season, the AFL late last year negotiated a new set minimum with the AFLPA of $8500, to be increased to $9700 in 2018.

If the above suggests the league did not see this success coming so quickly, it is also worth recalling that the AFL tried to schedule its first women's game at Collingwood's training ground – the old Olympic Park – and finished up apologising to thousands of fans unable to squeeze into Carlton's Ikon Park, where almost 25,000 attended.

Although the women's contracts are proportionately paltry when measured against TV ratings, the clubs fielding the eight women's teams continue to marvel at how enthusiastic their players have been to promote their sport compared with their male counterparts. In short, club officials are not used to footballers showing their appreciation.

Several Brisbane Lions AFLW players cried when they were handed new football boots along with a set of runners and like those overstretched AFL staffers working long hours to put on the games, Marsh said players understood they were all working overtime together to achieve a common purpose.

"We've agreed to a standard playing contract for two years in good faith," said Marsh, "and they [the AFL] could hold us to that, but we've already flagged we want to have a conversation with them and they've agreed.

"What we're seeing is eight teams and eight sets of players who all want to do more. They are contracted to work for nine hours a week in terms of training and other appearances and they're all doing more and they have no complaints about that. From our perspective there's scope to have conversations with the AFL where we look at that for next year."

The AFL refused to speculate on a new women's media deal, saying it was too soon to measure the TV success just two rounds in, but would not rule out rewriting the agreement. How could it not on the figures to date? The Western Bulldogs' victory over Fremantle two weeks ago was the top-rating program in Melbourne that week, defeating My Kitchen Rules in a result that astonished the Seven Network. On market value, broadcasters and the AFL agree a prime-time women's game is worth the same as Seven's Saturday night winter AFL game.

This is because Saturday night telecasts of AFLW have, in their infancy, rated as well as their male AFL equivalents, and on many comparisons better. On pay TV, Fox reports that the competition has quadrupled its male A-League numbers. In ratings terms, the women Australian rules footballers' wages look embarrassing when compared with the soccer men.

On every measure that counts, the AFL should be laughing all the way to the bank. As should its new breed of players. Except that they're not, because the competition gave away the broadcast rights for free to Channel Seven and Foxtel on a two-year goodwill agreement.

At one point the two parties even haggled over the production costs although in the end the networks picked up the tab, outsourcing the production of all games to Eddie McGuire's McGuire Media. An agreement which only weeks ago appeared as if its broadcasters were doing the AFL a favour now presents as a bargain of the highest order.

The decision to allow spectators to attend free has introduced new supporters to football, according to head office, and is likely to continue next season. New corporate partners such as Chemist Warehouse and Cotton On – supporting the women until at least the end of 2019 with a further three-year option – would not have come aboard the AFL without the women.

The competition was disappointed Sydney failed to bid for a licence but the consequence is that GWS has signed more AFLW members (2000 at $60 each) and introduced new major sponsors to the club in Harvey Norman and Sydney Airport. Never have the Giants, still battling for recognition, received so much pre-season publicity.

The short-term decisions facing the competition include where and when to hold the AFLW version of the Brownlow and whether to schedule a Melbourne grand final at the MCG or Ikon Park. But those appear insignificant compared with the looming review into how to handle the next phase of the AFLW - a competition launched in haste by impatient CEO Gillon McLachlan, but one that will surely prove his greatest legacy.

Should the women's season continue to draw support at its current success rate - or even if it suffers a small drop-off as other competitions start - the cost-sensitive AFL will have to fund a raft of new resources for its new population in terms of staff and infrastructure.

There are not enough grounds and facilities to field the rapid influx of new teams coming into women's football – certainly not in Victoria and definitely not in NSW.

A renegotiated broadcast deal would help fund that and seems a certainty for season 2018. And with that, greater reward for the playing pioneers who helped create all this.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/womens-afl/af ... ufs96.html
I was going to ignore it. But my sheer disbelief at this story, i can't help myself.

It's one thing to give a little leniency when speaking of a fledgling league. But to talk it up like Wilson has here... It seriously makes me think this lady is unhinged.

If the AFLW expands next year, like they're saying it will. And the TV networks continue to show the games in prime time slots through to the end of 2019 and beyond. TV networks will lose out. Meaning they will either shaft them to the 10pm+ slot or can the televising of AFLW games all together.

I can't see any way that the AFL won't lose money on their investment here.
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

This is typical fumbleball chest beating. The ratings have halved in consecutive weeks. Last week the netball flogged the female fumblers. It is far too early to make predictions about TV deals. I suspect this weeks ratings will fall again.
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Lol
Reality won't stop the chest beating .
They're the masters of it .
They will continue to talk it up as ratings tumble
& the positive articles will just keep getting churned out .
& the most hilarious bit is how it is lapped up by the braindead drones.

Lol Juggernaut ...run away success
Oh my after two weeks in .

I hope she writes a follow up article after 5 .
I won't hold My breath.
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
therealist

Post by therealist »

Interesting to note that the AFLW has been running for 4 weeks, and the game attendances have gone down every week. Can't wait to see if the tv audiences have gone south for the fourth week in a row...
therealist

Post by therealist »

The_Wookie wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:15 pm
it has. And the preseason comp is down as well, suggesting theres something of an overload of footy happening.
Quite possibly. What's with the AFL changing the name/format of it's preseason almost every year but? I remember back in the day, when it was the "Ansett Cup". It was marketable and reasonably good football. Now it just sounds like a glorified amateur league.
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

Interesting times for the fumblers. After the expected initial sugar hit the female game has tanked and now the men are going the same way. As myself and the other sane posters here have said from the outset - this female fumbling comp cannot be judged until this season has played out in full.

It will be interesting to see how the Bleakbourne centric media report these latest set backs.
therealist

Post by therealist »

The_Wookie wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:49 pm
Terry wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:33 pm
Interesting times for the fumblers. After the expected initial sugar hit the female game has tanked and now the men are going the same way. As myself and the other sane posters here have said from the outset - this female fumbling comp cannot be judged until this season has played out in full.

It will be interesting to see how the Bleakbourne centric media report these latest set backs.
they wont. Most people involved understand this wasnt about this season.
Come on Wookie! Three weeks ago it was all about this "exciting new competition" that was "smashing records", "destroying other sports with ratings", "as good as the AFL with tv ratings", turning away "thousands of fans" to "sellout" games and needing "new grounds to fit in all the supporters"...

Anyone, in particular any forum poster that was perceived as a male, was howled down as a misogynistic pig that was somehow hating on women, for talking with any logic at all.

Now that the tide has changed, you come with this soon to be classic cop out.
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

The_Wookie wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:49 pm
Terry wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:33 pm

they wont. Most people involved understand this wasnt about this season.
Um can't agree
A game hadn't even been played in Brissie & afl officials were calling for a bigger ground to be built . A boutique stadium .
& there weren't too many voices of reason saying it's not needed
Or wait a few yrs to see how the comp goes .
Then there was the Caro article ..so many lols

You say it wasn't about this season . Well why the massive afl circle jerk after a few games .
They were the ones making it all about this season

You know very well that the positive afl media doesn't get much questioning from fans . Most lap it up .

🤣
Xman wrote
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

The fact is this female fumbling comp is all about securing infrastructure and gov't money in front of everyone else. The fumblers will burn every other sport to get what they want.

Thankfully the ratings have fallen off a cliff and the crowds are now made up estimates cleary massively inflated. The dills living in the fumble bubble will all continue to nod in unison but the sane people will see through it.
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Lol
Really
I highlighted the fact that afl were asking for a new ground in brissy before a game had been played

I have an idea what they are doing .
Talking shit for a start .
SELL OUT ...lol not a ticket was sold
But that doesn't stop the afl media printing lies

Then later on saying ..oops not really
But by the time they do that the lie is accepted by plenty as FACT .

It's all about the image
No matter how much bullshit is printed ...

🤣
Xman wrote
therealist

Post by therealist »

The_Wookie wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:36 pm
Its about far more than the womens competition, which is the public face of a far larger compaign for womens football development that is already paying off in many ways.

The league doesnt have to be profitable in the short term, because the league isnt planning short term. But league folks around here dont seem to understand long term planning - and its kind of understandable since the NRL doesnt understand it either.
"League folks"... So, that's what you'll call people that disagree with your opinion now. Better than a lot of the other names I've seen.

There are a few issues people have with the AFLW and it's fans Wookie. Going back 3 weeks ago, you couldn't open a newspaper or turn on a tv without having the AFLW jammed down your throat. A lot of it your typical feminist rhetoric (they've gone as far as to compare it to men's soccer - a completely different sport) spouting how the AFLW was somehow changing the Australian sporting scene.

I decided to have a look at the AFLW, as a sports lover that had been hammered with false hype. Watching the AFLW while thinking about everything I'd heard about it, made me feel sick. It also made me feel like a fool for buying into it.

These women are being put on tv and paid money under the premise of "equality", and producing skill levels not much better than your local AusKick program. They aren't being paid for entertaining people, they're being paid for being women. That's privilege, not equality.

Why is it that you were proudly putting up the crowd numbers and tv audiences, somehow trying to justify the having the AFLW put on tv, yet now you aren't? Being a spoilt sport mate?
therealist

Post by therealist »

The_Wookie wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:26 am
It was the launch of a new competition with unprecedented coverage for a womens competition - as noted by pretty much everyone involved in womens sport. of course it was everywhere. You know what else? Its how you are fucking meant to launch if you want attention. God forbid the AFL should use its assets, namely its media coverage, friendly broadcasters, cheap stadiums and a healthy supporter base to actually make launch something properly.

You never gave it a shot. Like everyone else that wrote it off early you just dont get it. This ties in with the womens game development boost we are seeing all around the country as a direct result of the publicty surrounding it.

We dont need you to buy into it, if you dont, then its not for you and who gives a shit.

These women are being put on tv because the broadcaster wants them - Seven and Fox are paying production costs - and the AFL wants them to be. Skills are developing along with the competition and the grassroots development programs. Its a multilayered long term approach that will pay off in a few years, as planned.

Finally, I put up everyones crowds and tv audiences fuckwit. Not just the AFL Womens. I justified the second week drop in overall audience by pointing out the average hadnt dropped at that point - the number of FTA matches had halved. Theres no denying they had dropped in the third week - the same weekend the AFL mens preseason competition started.
It was clear to some why you were putting the tv audiences up. Now it's obvious why, as you seem to have stopped.

You didn't "justify" why the round averages dropped at all. Do you understand what the word "average" means? Yes, there wasn't as many FTA games in round 2, this is why the TOTAL number of veiwers dropped... der! But the AVERAGE viwers for the games that WERE on FTA dropped nearly 50%! Because the bubble had started to burst!

Yes, Seven and Foxtel, being typically feminist driven media outlets are more than happy to foot the bill for this travesty. Do you think they did this out of good will? If you do, you're very naive. They've done this purely for business. They will come maybe even at best at the end of what i believe is a 2 year deal. Do you think that they're going to continue footing the bill after that? For a competition that no one watches...

Gosh, they're talking about bringing in more teams next next! So, FTA audiences are going to be spread even more.

By 2020, the AFLW will be at best, in the 10pm+ timeslot or gone all together.

P.s - can you please put up the tv audiences for the weekend just gone?
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

And yet here we see people taking about Aussie rules ... so it is having some impact. No one talking too much about the nrl season about to start?
Veni, vidi, vici
therealist

Post by therealist »

Fred wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:32 pm
And yet here we see people taking about Aussie rules ... so it is having some impact. No one talking too much about the nrl season about to start?
An AFL thread... talking about... AFL... Who would've thought!

It's ok mate. Not everyone can have common sense. I might go to a sex shop and read a bible...

The NRL aren't as greedy as the AFL. This why they don't attempt to jam below standard leagues (AFLW) down their supporters throats. Mind you, when the NRL do showcase women's rugby league... It's of a standard worthy of being on tv...