Victorian view of Rugby League & State of Origin

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Victorian view of Rugby League & State of Origin

Post by Beaussie »

LOL
SOO was played at the Sydney Football Stadium, a sporting venue that has been rebadged more times than anyone can count. Imagine "rebadging" the MCG. Imagine a Victorian using a word like "rebadge". Melbourne has institutions. Sydney has developer's potential. It has been that way since the Rum Corps ran the show in Sydney.

SOO is a Rum Corps sort of game. It's not the sort of game free settlers would embrace. That's why 90 per cent of Melbourne Storm's supporters are blow-ins from north of the border.

SOO is violent. There's no getting away from it. Players can do things to each other in SOO games they would never be allowed to do in club games, or anywhere else for that matter. My Melbourne friends find this confusing. Especially the ones I run around a park kicking an AFL ball with. They think SOO is barbaric. That's if they think about it at all, which most of them don't.

While the ubiquity of the AFL in Victoria is astonishing to migrants from across the border like me, the relative anonymity of rugby league results in it being seen as a kind of Neanderthal oddity practiced by descendents of ne're-do-wells.

To put it simply, most of the people I know in Melbourne regard rugby league with undisguised contempt.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-17/m ... in/6552620
Swans4ever
Coach
Coach
Been liked: 0

Re: Victorian view of Rugby League & State of Origin

Post by Swans4ever »

I dont think contempt is the right word, I think it just doesnt rate as a prime sport in Victoria (SA, Tas and WA for that matter). It is a minor niche sport that isnt really played in large numbers but I think the Storm has its own unique following and TBH does well. It is well represented in local tv, radio and the papers but like anything is in competition with 10 AFL clubs, 2 AL clubs, 1 RU club, 1 baseball, 1 basketball. Then theres netball, tennis, BBL like Sydney is its a very crowded sporting landscape, I think all in all their doing pretty well all things considered.
LARGEST MEMBERSHIP, LARGEST PROFIT, LARGEST HOME CROWD AVERAGE - THE BIGGEST CLUB IN SYDNEY - THE SYDNEY SWANS
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Swans4ever wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:47 am
I think it just doesnt rate as a prime sport in Victoria (SA, Tas and WA for that matter). It is a minor niche sport that isnt really played in large numbers but I think the Storm has its own unique following and TBH does well.
Re the Storm, what do you make of the following statement made by the author? I know a few Storm fans in Melbourne and all of them are originally from Sydney.
90 per cent of Melbourne Storm's supporters are blow-ins from north of the border.
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 167 times

Post by Terry »

Wow.......given these comments from the Stockholm syndrome suffering, fumbleball captives in bleak city I wonder why the RL GF featuring the Storm rated better in Melbourne than the fumble GF featuring the Swanettes in Sydney????

And I wonder why SOO is on prime time TV in bleaksville, and rates through the roof and helps SOO games be in the top 5 programs annually year after year.

I say hi to all the RL fans in bleaksville and thanks for once again helping make RL the top rating sport in our great land!!! Well done!!!
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Lol
What an insular article
No wonder Bea liked it .
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
leagueiscrap
Banned
Team: Essendon
Been liked: 7 times

Post by leagueiscrap »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:26 am
Lol
What an insular article
No wonder Bea liked it .
Every else is stupid and lives in a insular bubble because they don't follow nrlol!

Fucken loon

How the popularity of the more irrelevant football team in Melbourne the minnowbourne storm?
Australian sporting sponsorship
AFL excess of $50m
A league $30 million plus
ARU $27 million
NRLOL $25 million

Leagueiscrap
and she still changes your nappies as well!
pusseycat replys
Only when I have an accident.
leagueiscrap
Banned

Post by leagueiscrap »

Terry wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:26 am
Wow.......given these comments from the Stockholm syndrome suffering, fumbleball captives in bleak city I wonder why the RL GF featuring the Storm rated better in Melbourne than the fumble GF featuring the Swanettes in Sydney????

And I wonder why SOO is on prime time TV in bleaksville, and rates through the roof and helps SOO games be in the top 5 programs annually year after year.

I say hi to all the RL fans in bleaksville and thanks for once again helping make RL the top rating sport in our great land!!! Well done!!!
Skipped those meds again?
AFL excess of $50m
ARU $27 million
NRLOL $25 million

Leagueiscrap
pusseycat replys
ParraEelsNRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 9 times

Post by ParraEelsNRL »

Neanderthal?

Hmm, if the author only knew what they really were he or she might have been on the mark, think super human you dopey fuck.

Thanks for telling all your vicco mates that it takes a super human to play our game.
signature removed by Admin.
User has been banned for this and similar comments.
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

wow what a loser this guy is >>>>Ned Manning

one eyed loser

shocking article
post_hoc
Coach
Coach
Team: Western Sydney Wanderers

Post by post_hoc »

I dont think contempt is the right word, I think it just doesnt rate as a prime sport in Victoria (SA, Tas and WA for that matter). It is a minor niche sport that isnt really played in large numbers but I think the Storm has its own unique following and TBH does well. It is well represented in local tv, radio and the papers but like anything is in competition with 10 AFL clubs, 2 AL clubs, 1 RU club, 1 baseball, 1 basketball. Then theres netball, tennis, BBL like Sydney is its a very crowded sporting landscape, I think all in all their doing pretty well all things considered.
Think it says more about Victorians than anyone else that they would disregard SOO. I am guessing more people watch SOO worldwide than ever watch the AFL Grandfinal.

Like I said says more about those from Victoria than anything else
Football in NSW
- Football 200,868
- AFL NSW/ACT 28,468
- Rugby League 96,041
- Rugby Union 40,685
Football has 22% more players than the other football codes combined
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Yep
Insular article from an insular Vicderp.

Strange strange people down there

🤣
Xman wrote
leagueiscrap
Banned

Post by leagueiscrap »

post_hoc wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:09 pm
Think it says more about Victorians than anyone else that they would disregard SOO. I am guessing more people watch SOO worldwide than ever watch the AFL Grandfinal.

Lol who would watch soo world wide expats?

There is a reason why the afl is easily the largest code and most popular game in Australia, the broadcast and non broadcast dollars speak for its self
AFL excess of $50m
ARU $27 million
NRLOL $25 million

Leagueiscrap
pusseycat replys
leagueiscrap
Banned

Post by leagueiscrap »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:39 pm
Yep
Insular article from an insular Vicderp.

Strange strange people down there
Lol insular!
If you want to know the meaning of that have a read of the loons unlimited forum

That is the true definition of loons living in a insular bubble with NFI about the out side world
AFL excess of $50m
ARU $27 million
NRLOL $25 million

Leagueiscrap
pusseycat replys
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

leagueiscrap wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:14 pm
post_hoc wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:09 pm

Lol who would watch soo world wide expats?

There is a reason why the afl is easily the largest code and most popular game in Australia, the broadcast and non broadcast dollars speak for its self
Who would watch .....more than expats you imba .

We have comps in other countries . Its the national sport of PNg .

There's plenty of people who watch in NZ .
The UK
The Pacific islands
France

Lol
Your insane jealous rants show just how out of touch with the real world you are .

This is what happens when your sport has pro & semi pro comps outside of one country .

Well normal people know that .
You still claim that there is only one pRO comp in the world & all other comps are amateur .
Lol
You ran away from that claim yet again when you posted it .
You really are clueless .

🤣
Xman wrote
Swans4ever
Coach
Coach

Post by Swans4ever »

Beaussie wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:51 am
I think it just doesnt rate as a prime sport in Victoria (SA, Tas and WA for that matter). It is a minor niche sport that isnt really played in large numbers but I think the Storm has its own unique following and TBH does well.
Re the Storm, what do you make of the following statement made by the author? I know a few Storm fans in Melbourne and all of them are originally from Sydney.
90 per cent of Melbourne Storm's supporters are blow-ins from north of the border.
I would dispute that as we have many from NZ that move to Melb and follow the Storm, and I know a few who are members that follow AFL clubs like Fitzroy and Sth Melb. I think it is really a sensation peice for Sydney audience it would have been better to talk to someone whos been down here a long time. RL's biggest prob in Melb is really the distances involved for juniors to play the game.
LARGEST MEMBERSHIP, LARGEST PROFIT, LARGEST HOME CROWD AVERAGE - THE BIGGEST CLUB IN SYDNEY - THE SYDNEY SWANS