9,000 Free Tickets for AFL Fixture in Canberra

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

9,000 Free Tickets for AFL Fixture in Canberra

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200505/s1364294.htm
Canberra's Roos-Demons clash a sell out, sort of
May 10, 2005

The round 11 AFL match between the Kangaroos and Melbourne at Manuka Oval on June 5 is a sell-out after pay TV operator Foxtel purchased all available tickets for the match.

Manaka Oval holds close to 15,000 fans and following the allocation to members and corporate supporters 9,000 tickets were left on sale.

Foxtel has bought all of them and will give the tickets away at selected licensed clubs in Canberra from Sunday with a limit of four per person.

The Kangaroos' Canberra manager Richard Collard said the aim was to ensure that all people who pick up the free tickets went to the game.

"The 9,000 tickets will now be distributed to selected licensed clubs in Canberra, they will be given free to fans from this Sunday," he said.

He said the club would try to compensate season ticket holders who paid to attend the game.

"The Kangaroos' management is now working out a package for season ticket holders and members who have already purchased tickets for the game."
After hearing the thoughts of a couple of Talking Footy members on the Daily Telegraph promotion with ticket give-aways to Telstra Stadium NRL matches, i'd like to hear their thoughts on this article. Beaussie in particular. 9,000 free-tickets to a match in Canberra, over half (60%) the capacity of the ground. Please discuss :wink:
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Foxtel is obviously trying to increase their subscriptions for Fox Footy in the ACT through a sponsorship arrangement with the Kangaroos. Sounds like a good marketing to me.

As for the Kangaroos, well they need as much support as they can get in Canberra and if this Foxtel sponsorship gurantees that support on the day then so be it.

All tickets have been purchased, it isn't as if the AFL is just handing out free tickets like the NRL earlier this season and every other season.

I must say however that the Kangaroos attitude towards the ACT market leaves alot to be desired, particularly when the people of Canberra see comments like this from Geoff Walsh the chief executive of the Roos:
SMH wrote:
But despite some success in creating a supporter base in Canberra, Walsh says the club is not interested in playing more than three games per season at Manuka Oval.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Kangar ... 54913.html
Sounds alot like the Roos attitude to the Sydney market where they were happy to fly in and fly out for games all of course whilst being subsidised by the AFL. What are they to do though? It ain't as if they have many fans in Victoria. Personally I'd like to see the Roos establish themselves full-time in Canberra. If that requires pressure from AFL House, then so be it. 10 teams in Victoria simply isn't sustainable.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

[quote="Beaussie"]Foxtel is obviously trying to increase their subscriptions for Fox Footy in the ACT through a sponsorship arrangement with the Kangaroos. Sounds like a good marketing to me.
[quote]

Contradictory? Biased? Beaussie please explain why it wasnt a good marketing ploy for league but is for afl all of a sudden? Your objectivity in this case is so opposite to when you talk about league. Here we go mate i'll finsh all the shmack right here and now. YOU HATE LEAGUE AND YOU LOVE AFL. OK we get it buster :lol: Enough of the crap lets talk about the actual 'sports' for a change buddy....

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

King-Eliagh wrote:
Beaussie wrote:
Foxtel is obviously trying to increase their subscriptions for Fox Footy in the ACT through a sponsorship arrangement with the Kangaroos. Sounds like a good marketing to me.
Contradictory? Biased? Beaussie please explain why it wasnt a good marketing ploy for league but is for afl all of a sudden?
Because with the example of rugby league earlier this year, the NRL gave out thousands and thousands of free tickets.

Here it is Foxtel who have purchased tickets to distribute to people in the hope, I imagine that those people will sign up for Fox Footy. Do you see the difference?
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

Yes Beaussie, they're not giving them out for nothing - there is a clear exchange of benefits in this case unlike Telstra Stadium where they were virtually sticking them to people's underwear and pleading for their support.

It's worlds apart, Dizzys!

And stop trying to bag our illustrious leader - if you did this in ancient Rome you would be beheaded or crucified for treason! :evil:
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

I remember back in 2003 that the Chief Executive Officer of the New Zealand Warriors, Eric Watson I believe, purchased a similar amount of tickets to give to New Zealand passport holders who resided in Sydney for a semi-final clash with Canberra at the SFS. I also remember that the exercise came under harsh scrutiny by the media and some involved in other football codes, as well as some involved with Rugby League.

Seeing that it is obvious that these two situations are reasonably comparable, i'd be interested to know what opinions members held on the Warriors "free-tickets", if of course you are able to recall that situation back in 2003.

Judging by your stance and opinions that I have read over time in this The Fight Club (AFL v NRL v ARU) Forum Beaussie, i'd reckon odds on that you would've slammed Watson's idea like there was no tommorrow :lol:

But what can I say? At least you are consistant :wink:
crocodileman wrote:
And stop trying to bag our illustrious leader
Nay, I wouldn't dare! :)
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

We only bagged Watson and his idea because it was another case of Kiwis getting freebies in Australia - and I think we've all had enough of that caper!!

Dizzys - your arguments are too intelligent for this forum. :lol: We here at Talking Footy only try to reach a very basic levelof understanding just as long as it doesn't interfere with our already entrenched prejudices!
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

The similarity is obvious. Dizzy's did you say they were giving 'free' tickets and 9000 of them out to this game. Enough of the sidesteps.

xman wrote:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
I remember back in 2003 that the Chief Executive Officer of the New Zealand Warriors, Eric Watson I believe, purchased a similar amount of tickets to give to New Zealand passport holders who resided in Sydney for a semi-final clash with Canberra at the SFS. I also remember that the exercise came under harsh scrutiny by the media and some involved in other football codes, as well as some involved with Rugby League.

Seeing that it is obvious that these two situations are reasonably comparable, i'd be interested to know what opinions members held on the Warriors "free-tickets", if of course you are able to recall that situation back in 2003.

Judging by your stance and opinions that I have read over time in this The Fight Club (AFL v NRL v ARU) Forum Beaussie, i'd reckon odds on that you would've slammed Watson's idea like there was no tommorrow :lol:
Difference is Dizzy's, Watson bought those tickets to ensure there was some support for the Warriors in the finals. Pretty sad state of affairs one would think where the CEO of a club has to purchase 10,000 tickets to distribute free of charge, in the hope that there will be some kind of support for a team.

That was finals footy as well. You'd think people would be willing to pay to see their team participate in finals wouldn't you? Not in the NRL it seems. :roll:

That situation was very different to the one we have here with Foxtel and the Kangaroos. As I mentioned earlier, this is a commercial sponsorship arrangement where Fox Footy, I imagine hopes to benefit through increased subscriptions.

I'm sure you can appreciate that that situation is very different to the situation with the Warriors where the ticket purchase was all about ensuring there was crowd support for the Warriors. Crowd support which otherwise wouldn't exist.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

I think its all very interesting. Canberra is league heartland :lol:

xman wrote:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

King-Eliagh wrote:
Canberra is league heartland :lol:
Hardly, there is a three way split with Union, AFL and League.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

:lol: Nice av beaussie!

Yeah afl and union are in canberra but its league heartland, so stick that finger up your arse and have a smell of what afl is to most canberran people :lol:

xman wrote:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

King-Eliagh wrote:
:lol: Nice av beaussie!

Yeah afl and union are in canberra but its league heartland, so stick that finger up your arse and have a smell of what afl is to most canberran people :lol:
It is NOT league heartland. As I said it is split 3 ways. Very strong AFL competition down there believe me.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Listen fingerboy! You come in here and state afl, union, and league are split three ways in canberra. Bullshit. Hearsay! You have no proof of this yet you state it as fact! Until you have the proof shut the fuuuuuuuuuuuck up :lol: :lol: :lol:

Comprehende?

:lol:

xman wrote:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

King-Eliagh wrote:
Listen fingerboy! You come in here and state afl, union, and league are split three ways in canberra. Bullshit. Hearsay! You have no proof of this yet you state it as fact! Until you have the proof shut the fuuuuuuuuuuuck up :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's common knowledge, however I will admit the AFL lost ground when the Raiders and Brumbies came on the scene, particularly when the former Bruce Stadium was reconfigured to a rectangular pitch which forced the AFL to move to Manuka Oval. Shame the AFL didn't put in a team when Canberra was pretty much dominated by Australian Football. That would have at least ensured the stadium stayed suitable for footy and cricket.

That said, there is still a very strong footy prescence in the ACT. When was your last visit to Canberra KE? Have you even been there? :roll: