Rank the Codes in NSW

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Re: Rank the Codes in NSW

Post by Terry »

Beaussie wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:21 pm
Better than I had imagined for Australian Football participation in NSW. :thumbleft:
AFL

According to AFL NSW/ACT, participation in Sydney’s north and around the city has rocketed by nearly 200 per cent over the last decade. Sport Australia’s AusPlay data shows that, between 2016 and 2019, adult AFL participation in NSW (71,325 in 2019) overtook rugby (52,999).

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/aus ... 57jtz.html

NRL

The number of players registering to play this season is already at 100,038 which is up 6.87 per cent on the corresponding time in 2019 (93,604). It is also up 17.2 per cent on the number of registered participants from last year (85,359).

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2021/04/3 ... ticipants/

I've read the article attached to this post. It's AFL propaganda 101. It starts talking about AFL 'booming' in Sydney's north but then quotes spurious numbers of all NSW including traditional AFL strongholds in Broken Hill and the southern Riverina.

It supplies no actual numbers for Sydney just the hyperbolic 'increase of 200%'. It then says the AFL has 73k V Rugby Union's 53k adult 'participants' in the state. That's total BS for both sports. There is not a chance in hell either has that many adults playing/participating in their sport.

Then it trumpets 14 academy graduates from the respective clubs. I can only see about 10 and the vast majority of them are from traditional AFL towns in southern NSW. Nothing to do with Sydney.

Sydney has supplied about 3 or 4. That's with a population approaching 6M and massive money put into their academy. That's a tiny result for a massive spend.

It seems like fumblehouse has still got David Lawson under house arrest and has reverted to BS, exaggeration, propaganda and good 'ol fashioned lies!!! Same old same old!!!!
These users liked the author Terry for the post:
Lookin back (Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:29 pm)
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

The_Wookie wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:58 pm
fuck off you moron. The article cites sportsplay aus - a government body independent of the AFL.

Unless you are personally out there counting shit, you cant definitively say anything.
A tad over the top there Wookster lolololol!!!! But do you really believe the AFL has 73k adult players in NSW????? Like over 18 years of age. Not in school. I don't even believe Rugby has 50k+ adults. Total BS on both counts!!!!!
These users liked the author Terry for the post:
Lookin back (Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:29 pm)
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

The_Wookie wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:58 pm
fuck off you moron. The article cites sportsplay aus - a government body independent of the AFL.

Unless you are personally out there counting shit, you cant definitively say anything.

Let me guess…. Terry ???

Now unless you’re going around counting numbers at each and every club and “on the ground” literally ……
Last edited by Fred on Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Veni, vidi, vici
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

The_Wookie wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:22 pm
Terry wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:52 pm

A tad over the top there Wookster lolololol!!!! But do you really believe the AFL has 73k adult players in NSW????? Like over 18 years of age. Not in school. I don't even believe Rugby has 50k+ adults. Total BS on both counts!!!!!
Fortunately it doesnt matter what i believe, Im not there on the ground.
Yeah true. And I am. So there ya go!!!!!!
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

The_Wookie wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:17 pm
Terry wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:30 pm

Yeah true. And I am. So there ya go!!!!!!
You arent counting shit.
Checkmate!!!!!!! Got me there wookster lolololololololol!!!!!!!!!!!!! How can a bloke come back from a zinger like that lolololololol??????? Genius!!!!

And while ya there 'ol friend can you point me in the direction of something.......anything......that proves there are 73k adult fumblers in NSW. That's about 4k teams. There would need to be over 500 separate comps operating with an average of 8 teams per comp. Lotta ovals. Lotta officials. Pretty hard to not notice that sorta shit pal. And that's only adults. What about the kids I ask ya lolololololol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers in advance!!!!!!
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Rugby League, Cricket and Australian Football are the 3 most popular codes in NSW and Queensland. Years of development and investment by the AFL in the northern states is paying off nicely. :thumbleft:

NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2
Rookie
Rookie
Team: Manly
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 6 times

Post by NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2 »

Beaussie wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:41 pm
NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:53 pm
AFL is not really a media earner in NSW. If it was the sport would be showed on Channel 7 instead of 7mate.
Even the AFL footy show is shown on Gem instead of Ch9.

Even with the top rating radio station 2GB. They only cover NRL games because that is where the audience is.
Most Swans games this season have been broadcast on Channel 7. And as for Footy Shows we have the Front Bar on Channel 7 and the Sunday AFL Footy Show on 9 Gem. Pretty good coverage for AFL fans in NSW/ACT I reckon.

As for radio coverage of the AFL in Sydney/NSW, we have Triple M, ABC, SEN and AFL Nation through 2UE. Pretty impressive radio coverage I would have thought.

Bet all this AFL coverage in comparison to soccer and even rugby league irks you too. :(/
No that is not correct most Swans AFL games are shown on 7mate.
Better homes and gardens always gets priority over Sydney Swans playing even on nights in Sydney. :lol:
AFL is not really on the radar when better homes & gardens is getting priority.

As for radio stations that broadcast AFL, the only ones that have full time AFL are near bottom of the radio ratings.
2UE rates 2.4% (all AFL coverage)
ABC News Radio 1.8% (all AFL coverage)
Sen rates .05% (mostly NRL coverage & some AFL)
Triple M 4.9% (mostly NRL coverage with some AFL)
ABC 702 10% (NRL coverage)
2GB 11.7% (NRL coverage)

You can see the difference with how much higher the ratings are for stations that have full time NRL compared to the stations with full time AFL in Sydney.

The top 2 highest rating stations are all NRL with their sports coverage.

Most of the lower rating stations broadcast full time AFL.
Last edited by NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2 on Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2
Rookie
Rookie

Until I see AFL on prime time tv stations all the time in Sydney and on the top rating radio stations.
I will remain far from convinced that AFL is number 2.

AFL has less grounds and players than Rugby Union in NSW too. So it is even questionable to say the AFL is ahead on Rugby Union when everything is added up.
AFL really should be at 4.

Plus why is the NSW government spending all the sporting ground upgrade money on rectangular grounds instead of the oval grounds?

They are spending the money on grounds that are used by Soccer & Rugby codes.
Not hearing much money being spent on any AFL Cricket grounds.

If AFL has this so called "huge following" in NSW. Where is the investment?
Surely a government would want to put lots of money into a sports amenities, that is said to be so popular?

Meanwhile Parramatta has just been rebuilt. Sydney football stadium is being rebuilt.
Penrith, Kogarah, Liverpool and Brookvale are all earmarked for new stadiums or upgrades.
Cronulla will be upgraded by the club due to the growing population in the Shire.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:57 pm
Until I see AFL on prime time tv stations all the time in Sydney and on the top rating radio stations.
And the A-League and Super Rugby are broadcast on prime time tv and radio stations in Sydney?

Seriously :(/

Again from an NRL clubs own report:

NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2
Rookie
Rookie

Beaussie wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:47 pm
And the A-League and Super Rugby are broadcast on prime time tv and radio stations in Sydney?

You can put all the bullshit charts up you like, but facts don't lie. Anyone can make a fake news chart. :lol: =D
But the media is still not putting AFL on prime radio & television.
And AFL is still way behind in clubs & playing grounds of all 3 other football codes in NSW.

Rugby is shown on 9Gem in Sydney so it's tv coverage is still being shown.

When your talking investment in grounds and number of grounds and number of clubs.
AFL is still well behind Rugby Union, Soccer & Rugby League.

How many times do I have to tell you this lol??? :lol: =D

Why isn't the NSW government investing in oval stadium grounds for AFL like it is for rectangular stadium grounds for Rugby codes & Soccer? You still can't answer this can you. :cool:

The evidence is there. You can keep putting your head in the sand. But AFL is only surviving in NSW because of AFL itself. The local interest, players numbers, number of clubs is well behind other winter football codes in NSW.

Nothing has changed lol.. :(/ :cheers:
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

Yet the nrl commissioned report says otherwise. Afl is shown on 7 mate with some games shown on 7. This is better than soccer and I believe RU.

But I do take what you say re: playing numbers and general presence but would be good to have actual numbers to compare. There are definetely plenty of teams in Sydney amd surrounds though but whether they are at the same level as ru or soccer I don’t know so take you at your word on that.

What I can say is that the arl or nrl would love to have the presence in Melbourne that aussie rules has in Sydney.
Veni, vidi, vici
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:55 pm
Beaussie wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:47 pm

You can put all the bullshit charts up you like, but facts don't lie. Anyone can make a fake news chart. :lol: =D
But the media is still not putting AFL on prime radio & television.

Swans game broadcast live again on Channel 7 in Sydney, NSW/ACT today. Great win too for the Swans too :thumbleft:

Same for the Giants yesterday too on Channel 7 in Sydney, NSW/ACT.

Rugby is shown on 9Gem in Sydney so it's tv coverage is still being shown.

So the majority of the time, the Swans are shown on Channel 7 not 7mate in Sydney, whilst the Rugby is shown on 9Gem for every game bar the final. And you've seen the tv ratings for the Rugby I take it? lol

Oh and just a reminder about the last time the Rugby went up against the AFL/Swans.

Melbourne vs Sydney in the AFL on Channel 7 outrated the Super Rugby Grand Final on Channel 9 and was the time slot winner for the night in Sydney.

SEVEN’S AFL: SATURDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL Channel 7 559,000 77,000 240,000 27,000 151,000 63,000

SUPER RUGBY AU LIVE Channel 9 207,000 69,000 15,000 112,000 4,000 7,000

THE DURRELLS-EV ABC TV 227,000 65,000 83,000 30,000 26,000 23,000

THE SAVOY Channel 10 178,000 66,000 40,000 33,000 13,000 25,000

THE WORLD’S MOST SCENIC RAILWAY JOURNEYS RPT SBS 205,000 63,000 60,000 39,000 15,000 28,000

https://tvtonight.com.au/2021/05/saturd ... -2021.html

When your talking investment in grounds and number of grounds and number of clubs.

AFL is still well behind Rugby Union, Soccer & Rugby League.

Why isn't the NSW government investing in oval stadium grounds for AFL like it is for rectangular stadium grounds for Rugby codes & Soccer?

For years people like you whined about grassroots and development funding for the AFL from the NSW and ACT governments. Stadium Australia reconfiguration for AFL, Blacktown Sports Oval, Sydney Showgrounds, SCG and so on... Well check the latest NSW Budget news :(/

NSW Government’s 2021/22 Budget set to benefit AFL
Author Name: jacklynch | Posted 9:28 am on Thursday 24th June, 2021

AFL NSW/ACT welcomes the NSW Government’s 2021/22 Budget, which was handed down by Treasurer, the Hon Dominic Perrottet MP on Tuesday, 22 June.

There are several new funding initiatives that will positively serve our players, clubs and the community, in addition to the existing programs such as the Greater Cities and Regional Sports Facilities Funds, and the Active Kids Voucher.

https://aflnswact.com.au/nsw-government ... nefit-afl/
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

AFL would be pleased with that 80k figure for Sydney Metro.
Pippen1994
Reserves
Reserves
Team: Parra
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Pippen1994 »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:01 pm
AFL would be pleased with that 80k figure for Sydney Metro.
Well below what wallabies are doing

Order is;
RL
Soccer based on participation dominance
RU with huge wallabies following
Touch is another participation giant

Then the rest
NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2
Rookie
Rookie

The_Wookie wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:19 pm
Swans AFL ratings are regularly higher than the national metro ratings for soccer and not far off the national metro ratings for Rugby, let alone just Sydney.
AFL has less grounds and players than Rugby Union in NSW too. So it is even questionable to say the AFL is ahead on Rugby Union when everything is added up.
Do they reallty though. Given AFL and cricket generally share grounds and all.
AFL really should be at 4.
On what basis?
Plus why is the NSW government spending all the sporting ground upgrade money on rectangular grounds instead of the oval grounds?
The SCG just had a $186m facelift that was finished in 2014.
The Sydney Showground had a $65m upgrade in 2012.

The AFL only uses two major stadiums in NSW.
They are spending the money on grounds that are used by Soccer & Rugby codes.
Mostly because they are being neglected, and the NSW Government needs to catch up or stay ahead of Victoria to attract events.
Not hearing much money being spent on any AFL Cricket grounds.
They were done like 5-10 years ago.
If AFL has this so called "huge following" in NSW. Where is the investment?
Already done for now.
Surely a government would want to put lots of money into a sports amenities, that is said to be so popular?
They already did.
Meanwhile Parramatta has just been rebuilt. Sydney football stadium is being rebuilt.
Penrith, Kogarah, Liverpool and Brookvale are all earmarked for new stadiums or upgrades.
Cronulla will be upgraded by the club due to the growing population in the Shire.
Good for them some of their facilities are in bad need of upgrades if the NRL is going to continue to play out of them.
You had some valid points Wookie. But there are still many reasons still as to why AFL should be at number 4 or equal 3rd in NSW.

Soccer has 126 clubs in NSW. I know for a fact AFL would be lucky to have half that.

Soccer has more than 200,000 registered players in NSW. More than any other state in Australia. AFL is light years behind with player numbers in NSW.
You also have less professional clubs than soccer. Soccer has 5 first grade sides to AFLs 2.
So how can AFL be ahead of soccer with figures like this?
Your behind in professional clubs!
Your behind in player numbers!
Your behind in number of grounds!
Your behind in local clubs!
Your behind in semi professional clubs too. (NSW Premier League)
Your behind in school participation to soccer also!
Yep AFL is ahead lol :cool:
Mate there is no way AFL is ahead of soccer. You just can't claim it with stats like these.

I would still question if AFL is in front of Union too, it would be close I'll give you that. But nearly every private school in Sydney has their own Rugby Union team which definitely would not be the case with AFL. And I wouldn't say it would be close with who has more clubs and grounds.

AFL just big note them selves so much about their popularity in NSW. But there are so many facts that come into play that make it look untrue. You can't say your totally in front of a code when you have less players, less clubs, less grounds etc..

Then AFL media always say AFL gets lots of viewers in NSW.
But at the end of the day the big top rating media players are not showing AFL on their major channels.
2GB is top rating for radio in Sydney. They don't broadcast AFL they broadcast NRL..
AFL is broadcast on 2UE which is at the bottom of the radio ratings in Sydney.
AFL is still shown on 7mate 98% of the time in Sydney. Another station that is at the bottom of the ratings.

AFL is not flying high in NSW by any means.
Last edited by NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2 on Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users liked the author NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2 for the post:
WookieReturns (Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:49 pm)