The No.1 Football Code in Australia

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.

What is the No.1 Football Code in Australia?

Australian Football
59
58%
Rugby League
36
36%
Rugby Union
1
1%
Soccer
5
5%
 
Total votes: 101

User avatar
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Posts: 1006
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:20 pm
Team: North Melbourne
Location: Melbourne
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 57 times

Re: The No.1 Football Code in Australia

Post by Quolls2019 »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:16 pm hearing around 60k for tonight.
Bit hard to call, being the first game of the season and the Grand Final replay, I would expect more…being a Wednesday I don’t know what to expect.
Both teams can have low attendances at times.
But….I’ll say near 70,000.


There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in most of North Eastern Australia.
User avatar
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Posts: 1006
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:20 pm
Team: North Melbourne
Location: Melbourne
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 57 times

Re: The No.1 Football Code in Australia

Post by Quolls2019 »

Maybe not near 70k……..


There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in most of North Eastern Australia.
truthbomber
Captain
Captain
Posts: 575
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:57 am
Team: Cobar Roosters
Location: The Ord river
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 19 times

Re: The No.1 Football Code in Australia

Post by truthbomber »

58,022

didn't gil the dill tip 100,000 when the draw was released ? :hmm:
then 80,000 only last week :-k

not even 60,000 in the end 8-[

there is no doubt about it , there is no sport or collective on the planet that over rates itself & everything it does like the derps & misses :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/


User avatar
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Posts: 1006
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:20 pm
Team: North Melbourne
Location: Melbourne
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 57 times

Re: The No.1 Football Code in Australia

Post by Quolls2019 »

Yes, the AFL must be really disappointed with a 1st game, 1st round crowd of 58,000.
Even with it being the highest home and away attendance ever between these 2 clubs.
Even with it being the highest Wednesday AFL crowd.
Even if it doesn’t even get close to the crowd of the first round, 1st game of the NRL.
Not even close to any of the NRL 1st round games.

Yep really disappointed.

Could have been better, let’s hope tonight’s game can lessen the disappointment.


There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in most of North Eastern Australia.
Terry
Coach
Coach
Posts: 4048
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:19 pm
Team: Wests Tigers
Location:
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 127 times

Re: The No.1 Football Code in Australia

Post by Terry »

Quolls2019 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:11 am Yes, the AFL must be really disappointed with a 1st game, 1st round crowd of 58,000.
Even with it being the highest home and away attendance ever between these 2 clubs.
Even with it being the highest Wednesday AFL crowd.
Even if it doesn’t even get close to the crowd of the first round, 1st game of the NRL.
Not even close to any of the NRL 1st round games.

Yep really disappointed.

Could have been better, let’s hope tonight’s game can lessen the disappointment.

AFL crowds measured against other countries football codes are an outlier. The current holder of the soccer world cup, France, average 20k per game in Ligue 1 with a population of nearly 70M. Prior to covid the AFL averaged around 35k per game in a country of 25M, more than half of whom do not have AFL as their No 1 sport.

As such their crowds should only be compared against their own domestic comp. Meaning last nights GF replay was a poor crowd.

Thanks.


User avatar
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Posts: 1006
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:20 pm
Team: North Melbourne
Location: Melbourne
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 57 times

Re: The No.1 Football Code in Australia

Post by Quolls2019 »

Terry wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:49 am
Quolls2019 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:11 am Yes, the AFL must be really disappointed with a 1st game, 1st round crowd of 58,000.
Even with it being the highest home and away attendance ever between these 2 clubs.
Even with it being the highest Wednesday AFL crowd.
Even if it doesn’t even get close to the crowd of the first round, 1st game of the NRL.
Not even close to any of the NRL 1st round games.

Yep really disappointed.

Could have been better, let’s hope tonight’s game can lessen the disappointment.

AFL crowds measured against other countries football codes are an outlier. The current holder of the soccer world cup, France, average 20k per game in Ligue 1 with a population of nearly 70M. Prior to covid the AFL averaged around 35k per game in a country of 25M, more than half of whom do not have AFL as their No 1 sport.

As such their crowds should only be compared against their own domestic comp. Meaning last nights GF replay was a poor crowd.

Thanks.
Means no such thing, as always you don’t wish to compare a well attended code against your code that most fans don’t want to go and see.
By your logic this forum is pointless as each code should only be compared to themselves?


There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in most of North Eastern Australia.
Terry
Coach
Coach
Posts: 4048
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:19 pm
Team: Wests Tigers
Location:
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 127 times

Re: The No.1 Football Code in Australia

Post by Terry »

Quolls2019 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:10 am
Terry wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:49 am
Quolls2019 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:11 am Yes, the AFL must be really disappointed with a 1st game, 1st round crowd of 58,000.
Even with it being the highest home and away attendance ever between these 2 clubs.
Even with it being the highest Wednesday AFL crowd.
Even if it doesn’t even get close to the crowd of the first round, 1st game of the NRL.
Not even close to any of the NRL 1st round games.

Yep really disappointed.

Could have been better, let’s hope tonight’s game can lessen the disappointment.

AFL crowds measured against other countries football codes are an outlier. The current holder of the soccer world cup, France, average 20k per game in Ligue 1 with a population of nearly 70M. Prior to covid the AFL averaged around 35k per game in a country of 25M, more than half of whom do not have AFL as their No 1 sport.

As such their crowds should only be compared against their own domestic comp. Meaning last nights GF replay was a poor crowd.

Thanks.
Means no such thing, as always you don’t wish to compare a well attended code against your code that most fans don’t want to go and see.
By your logic this forum is pointless as each code should only be compared to themselves?


Strangely enough I can't agree with this assessment. AFL is an outlier. An outlier statistically is a number in a set of data that is much greater or much less than the vast majority of other data. As such the outlier at either end of the data spectrum is ignored and the majority data is used for comparison.

So unfortunately the AFL data gets punted pal. Hope that helps.

Also: Having said that it is a great credit to the game that it attracts such outlier crowds. Bravo!


Gone
Banned
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:22 am
Team: Carlton
Location:
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 8 times
Contact:

Re: The No.1 Football Code in Australia

Post by Gone »

Now imagine one of us saying that but using any of that but saying Origin instead of AFL....


hahaha


Terry
Coach
Coach
Posts: 4048
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:19 pm
Team: Wests Tigers
Location:
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 127 times

Re: The No.1 Football Code in Australia

Post by Terry »

Gone wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:42 pm Now imagine one of us saying that but using any of that but saying Origin instead of AFL....


hahaha
What are you referring to here bummy? If it's my post about AFL crowds being an outlier what has SOO got to do with it?

Thanks in anticipation.


Gone
Banned
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:22 am
Team: Carlton
Location:
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 8 times
Contact:

Re: The No.1 Football Code in Australia

Post by Gone »

its about yourr hypocrisy in this kind of contextual bullshit.

AFL Crowds arent even an outlier in world sport, they are 5th for average crowds in domestic sport worldwide, just because the first two AFL matches of the season will beat the crowds for an entire opening round of the NRL doesnt mean they are irrelevant data on your say so.

And I say this because Origin is clearly an outlier in tv ratings on the same reasoning but woe betide any man that puts his hand anywhere near that rail.

In fact of all the data we have - attendances are hard data. Not assumed off limited survey data like TV ratings or roy morgan support.

Last nights crowd was the highest wednesday night attendance ever and the largest attendance for a match between the two clubs - a record that has stood since 1962. In comparison we have crowds from the preceeding week in other Australian sports that didnt get within coooeee of it. Ergo, there was nothing wrong with this crowd. Not great by AFL standards, but very much above the average even for the AFL, and smashing anything from the other football codes recently.


Terry
Coach
Coach
Posts: 4048
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:19 pm
Team: Wests Tigers
Location:
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 127 times

Re: The No.1 Football Code in Australia

Post by Terry »

Gone wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:26 pm its about yourr hypocrisy in this kind of contextual bullshit.

AFL Crowds arent even an outlier in world sport, they are 5th for average crowds in domestic sport worldwide, just because the first two AFL matches of the season will beat the crowds for an entire opening round of the NRL doesnt mean they are irrelevant data on your say so.

And I say this because Origin is clearly an outlier in tv ratings on the same reasoning but woe betide any man that puts his hand anywhere near that rail.

In fact of all the data we have - attendances are hard data. Not assumed off limited survey data like TV ratings or roy morgan support.

Last nights crowd was the highest wednesday night attendance ever and the largest attendance for a match between the two clubs - a record that has stood since 1962. In comparison we have crowds from the preceeding week in other Australian sports that didnt get within coooeee of it. Ergo, there was nothing wrong with this crowd. Not great by AFL standards, but very much above the average even for the AFL, and smashing anything from the other football codes recently.


Well it looks this is another case of two great minds coming to different conclusions. However the stats are clear. Per head of population AFL crowds are indeed an outlier when compared to the big football codes around the world. This is an indisputable fact.

Re origin: I have never compared it's ratings to anything in the AFL simply because there is no similar competition to compare them to. I understand you and your fumbling mates are.....ummmm........lets say........a little envious of SOO so don't ever want to acknowledge it. I can fully understand this.

Now that you have pointed out that last nights fumbling was the best ever crowd between the two teams I say congratulations. That is a useful comparison. However when you compare it to other years first game it is poor. Another good comparison. And as I have clearly shown you can compare it to other codes all you like but it is an outlier that is not indicative of relative success.

Have a great day bummy!


pussycat Mark 11
Captain
Captain
Posts: 554
Joined: Sun May 10, 2020 8:00 pm
Team: Easts
Location: geelong
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 34 times

Re: The No.1 Football Code in Australia

Post by pussycat Mark 11 »

Our games of a wednesday usually get 80k Wookie so I guess were number 1 in crowds as welll :cheers:


Australia's number 1 sport RUGBY LEAGUE. Preferred by more Australians than any other :cheers:
Terry
Coach
Coach
Posts: 4048
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:19 pm
Team: Wests Tigers
Location:
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 127 times

Re: The No.1 Football Code in Australia

Post by Terry »

pussycat Mark 11 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:55 pm Our games of a wednesday usually get 80k Wookie so I guess were number 1 in crowds as welll :cheers:
Haha! Don't mention the war lol!!!!!


Gone
Banned
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:22 am
Team: Carlton
Location:
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 8 times
Contact:

Re: The No.1 Football Code in Australia

Post by Gone »

pussycat Mark 11 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:55 pm Our games of a wednesday usually get 80k Wookie so I guess were number 1 in crowds as welll :cheers:
On a wednesday night sure. Over the course of a year...hahahahahaha


Terry
Coach
Coach
Posts: 4048
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:19 pm
Team: Wests Tigers
Location:
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 127 times

Re: The No.1 Football Code in Australia

Post by Terry »

Gone wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:15 pm
pussycat Mark 11 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:55 pm Our games of a wednesday usually get 80k Wookie so I guess were number 1 in crowds as welll :cheers:
On a wednesday night sure. Over the course of a year...hahahahahaha
Excuse my ignorance bummy but what is your point here exactly?


Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot] and 0 guests