Step Aside Maxfield - This Is Ridiculous

Australian Football news and discussion.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Step Aside Maxfield - This Is Ridiculous

Post by Beaussie »

SMH wrote:
Swans skipper to call Melbourne home
By Michael Cowley
May 3, 2005
http://www.smh.com.au/news/AFL/Swans-sk ... 15542.html

The Swans last night defended their decision to allow captain Stuart Maxfield to commute from Melbourne for the remainder of the season, and most likely the rest of his career.

Maxfield will spend the early part of the week in Melbourne and return to Sydney on Wednesday night or Thursday morning for the team's main training on Thursday afternoon.

The unusual move comes at the end of a trying week for the Swans, who have lost three matches in a row, are languishing in 12th spot on the ladder and were at the weekend castigated by the AFL's chief executive, Andrew Demetriou, for playing "ugly" football.

Sydney coach Paul Roos said he was completely comfortable with the new arrangement and had persuaded Maxfield, who split from his wife last year and whose two young children have returned with their mother to Melbourne, to see the merits of commuting.

Both Roos and Maxfield said football had changed in recent times and the early part of the week was now about recovery, something a player who is known for his professional attitude towards training would be able to do in Melbourne.

"Prior to us thinking through the issue two or three weeks ago, we had also talked to the medical staff and Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday was really, for him, just a little bit of running and not much of anything else," Roos said.

"It fits into the schedule perfectly so it doesn't affect his preparation at all. In a sense it makes no difference to what we are doing as a footy team. We know he's going to prepare well and we know he's going to be here for training on Thursday, and that was the only time he was going to train anyway.

"[Team doctor] Nathan Gibbs was the first one to come up with the idea. It grew from there and it made sense and I know the player group are supportive of it. We explored it with Stuart and he was a little bit reluctant, but once he was down there last week, being with [his children] for three days, I think he's really pleased about it, and we believe as a club it's the right thing to happen."

Roos said the Swans wanted players to understand that the club cared for their well-being. Still, the notion of a captain with only a part-time presence at the club may bring the Swans yet more criticism.

"What we stand for as a footy club is not just about winning and losing, it's about the human side … your kids have always got to be more important than the footy club," Roos said.

"And probably Stuey was putting the club ahead of his kids and felt that being captain … he couldn't see a way out of it. So we had to present him with an option … Stuart was certainly missing his kids and he was really struggling with that side of it."

It is not the first time a player has commuted. Chris Langford, who starred for Hawthorn in the 1990s, worked in Sydney and travelled between Sydney and Melbourne each week.

Last night, Maxfield said: "To cut a long story short, my wife and children are based in Melbourne now and it's been a bit awkward for the kids themselves and everyone involved and I wanted to spend a bit more time with my children. So it's been great to get the support from the club.

"It's obviously difficult during the footy season, and with the first half of the season you travel a lot and we don't play any games in Melbourne until round 10, so it's been pretty tough.

"At times it's been a week and a half, or two weeks between when you see your kids, and that wasn't good enough for my children or for me. It doesn't have anything to do with access, it's just what's better for all members of the family. The kids need to see their mother and father.

"It's obviously not a common practice. There have been examples in the past - Chris Langford and Andrew McKay [who commuted from Queensland to Carlton] did it - and for the club to do this is not surprising given the support I've had from the club over the whole 10 years I've been there. It's another example of them helping players out whatever way they can."
This is just ridiculous. Fair enough the guy misses his kids and wants to see them, but surely he must step down as captain of the Swans. How can you have a captain who is only in town for half a week. :roll:

His form of this year and last doesn't warrant the captaincy in my opinion either. He's more a liability than a leader for the Swans. Obviously his separation has adversely affected him. With that in mind, why not step down. He certainly isn't making a worthwhile contribution on the field.

It seems we are back to the old days when the Swans formerly from South Melbourne thought it was acceptable to commute between Melbourne and Sydney for games, whilst living full time in Melbourne. :roll:

Maxfield clearly has issues that are distracting him from footy. How can his position in the team therefore be justified? Get out of the way Maxfield and let someone else at the club take over the captaincy.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

afl.com.au wrote:
Maxfield steps down as Swans captain
4:31:37 PM Thu 5 May, 2005
Sportal for afl.com.au
http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&s ... eid=200745

Veteran midfielder Stuart Maxfield has relinquished the Sydney captaincy and has been replaced by stand-in skipper Brett Kirk.

Maxfield, 33, told the club he was stepping down from the position after it was revealed earlier in the week that he would commute to and from Melbourne each week for family reasons.

He will fly to Melbourne every Monday before returning on Thursday for Sydney's main training session each week.

"It has been a great honour to captain the Sydney Swans but I have always been one to give everything I do one hundred per cent," Maxfield said on Thursday.

"Obviously in the circumstances that prevail that is not possible and I believe it is in the best interest of all concerned that I stand aside."

Coach Paul Roos paid tribute to Maxfield.

"He has been a fantastic captain and will obviously still be a major leader around the club."

Maxfield has played 289 AFL matches, including 89 with Richmond from 1990-95.

Kirk, who has played 103 matches for the Swans since making his AFL debut in 1999, will lead the Swans after developing into one of the most respected players at the club.

The 28 year-old has finished second in Sydney's best-and-fairest award in the past two seasons, was named an All-Australian in 2004 and represented Australia in the 2003-04 International Rules Series.

No decision has been made on the captaincy for the long-term.

Finally sanity prevails. Hopefully he can get his mind back on the footy without the added pressure of being captain.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

He must be reading beaussie! Good to see Kirk get the spot too.

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

King-Eliagh wrote:
Good to see Kirk get the spot too.
Yes good news indeed. Not sure who I'd prefer to be the long term captain with options such as Hall, Kirk and Goodes on offer.
crocodileman
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by crocodileman »

The club is screwed for the next 5 seasons as it is - I'd put a broom through the whole place and start again.

Maybe Roos should be commuting from the Cook Islands - that may help the team.

Beaussie - I warned you about them and all you could do was gloat after their win against the Lions! I told you and you ridiculed my opinion on them and I have been proved right yet again.

They're gonna get done this weekend too and then things may start happening and the white-anters can really start gnawing!!!! :P
big tommy
Rookie
Rookie
Team:

Post by big tommy »

Another Nathan Gibbs hair-brain scheme comes awry - how surprising!

Many of us still don't forget the role he played in denying the great Wally Lewis the chance to lead the 1990 Kangaroo Tour by not passing him fit to tour. What a joke this bloke is still around sports clubs.

Lert the doctors do the doctoring and stay out of the administration and footy operations.
The Mighty Lions will Come Back to Life in 2006
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

crocodileman wrote:
They're gonna get done this weekend too and then things may start happening and the white-anters can really start gnawing!!!! :P
You wanna have an avatar bet on that? A Sydney Swans logo avatar for a week for you if you lose. I'll sport a Lions avatar is we lose.

I'm almost certain what Demetriou has said during the week will fire the Swans up for a victory. So how about it Croc? You up to the challenge or are you just all talk?
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

No croc should wear an avatar of the infamous afl testicle biting incident. Bunch of girls :lol:

Swans to win by six goals.

xman wrote:
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

Beaussie, FootyTab currently have the Swans as $1.25 favourites to win this one - that's 4-1 on in the old language. Now I'm not stupid - but I'll tell you what, I'll take the avatar bet if you wear a lions avatar for 4 weeks, and if the swans win, I'll cop it for one week (hence 4-1 on odds!).

So, how about it? Remember though, to honour my bet if the dons win, you'll be cheating Grim because you already have a bet going with him.

Sounds a bit dishonourable if you ask me - your call though!

Get back!
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Just as I suspected. I knew you'd bring up something totally irrelevant to squirm your way out of it. What the hell have the footy odds got to do with the bet I proposed.

Once again, avatar bet for one week. Loser wears the other teams logo. Are you up to it?
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

Beaussie - Sydney are the hottest of hot favourites and I've tipped Essendon on the footytipping and I've backed them at odds of $4.00 on Sportsbet. Now why would I take even money with you?

Yes, Avatar bet, but you'll have to wear a Lions avatar for 4 weeks if you want me to agree. If you're so confident, just say "Yes" and the bet will be on!

That's the offer, Beaussie. Say "Yes" and accept my offer!
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

No bet then. You've wasted your money backing the Bombers. :lol:
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

crocodileman wrote:
Beaussie - Sydney are the hottest of hot favourites and I've tipped Essendon on the footytipping and I've backed them at odds of $4.00 on Sportsbet. Now why would I take even money with you?

Yes, Avatar bet, but you'll have to wear a Lions avatar for 4 weeks if you want me to agree. If you're so confident, just say "Yes" and the bet will be on!

That's the offer, Beaussie. Say "Yes" and accept my offer!
Hey croc i'll take u on mate. four weeks with a lions avatar for me one week with reiwoldt crying avatar or swans avatar for u...my choice on the avatar if u lose?

xman wrote: