Reserves
Reserves
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Gold Coast looking the goods!

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

From the Daily Tele:
"Gold Coast will become the NRL's 16th team after the Queensland Government yesterday approved $80 million in funding to build a 25,000-seat stadium.

Although still without a nickname, Gold Coast are certain to be entered into the NRL competition in 2007.

A new arena was the only barrier stopping NRL management from granting Gold Coast a licence.

An NRL partnership committee meeting next month should finalise Gold Coast's entry and end a million-dollar push from John Singleton to include a Central Coast team.

Gold Coast City Council will meet today to formally pass the funding and discuss the Carrara Stadium site.

Yesterday's revelation comes after Gold Coast consortium head Michael Searle met Queensland's Minister for Sport Terry Mackenroth.

The NRL partnership committee was to meet and discuss expansion on May 12 but that date may now be pushed back despite a desperation to finally resolve the Gold Coast bid.

"I don't want to get too excited just yet," said Gold Coast coach-in-waiting John Cartwright. "There are still some hurdles to be jumped but the signs are good."

Searle added: "We are excited but not over confident.

"This puts a wax seal on our application. The partnership committee still has to decide on expansion and we still have to be the winning tender."

As part of the deal, Gold Coast Council will supply the land with the Queensland Government providing the funds.

Given the council already owns the Carrara site it seems certain the new arena will be built where the dilapidated stadium currently stands.

There is talk of a plan to build at nearby Robina but that move is unlikely.

Gold Coast officials have drawn up a hit list of players coming off contract this year and after next season.

Those who sign with the Gold Coast this season would be forced to sign one-year contracts with their current clubs for 2006.

Players certain to be under scrutiny from the Gold Coast would be Preston Campbell, Matt Bowen, Luke Bailey, Brett Finch, Willie Mason, Jamaal Lolesi and Braith Anasta.

"We are keen to hear details of the commitment made today, in particular looking at the impact of the new stadium on their business plan," said NRL chief executive David Gallop.

"A rugby league-specific stadium has been a significant hurdle for the Gold Coast.

Our competition is strong and it's a terrific endorsement that the Queensland Government is stepping in."
Interesting that it seems as though the dump that is the GC Stadium (or Carrara) will be rebuilt or redeveloped instead of building a brand new facility at the proposed Robina site. Not that i'm all that fussed, but I would've thought starting from scratch would bring about a better stadium as well as saving government funds.

The loser that I see in all of this is AFL. My knowledge of the area tells me that the closest oval to the GC is the Gabba in Brisbane. A rectangular Gold Coast Stadium is going to mean that AFL will have no opportunity to expand into the area, unless they pay out massive amounts of money to fund a brand new facility which really wouldn't be worth it.

I was tipping the GC to be the 16th club so im pleased with these developments.
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

Wouldn't cost too much to build a stadium with an oval ground in it, surely?

There could be temporary seating whilst infrastructure dollars are directed to the project over say, a six year period.

I'm not a prophet of doom who says that the AFL would be buggered if the NRL gets in first. It would be great to see them both on the Gold Coast and may the best code win!
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Re: Gold Coast looking the goods!

Post by Beaussie »

Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
Interesting that it seems as though the dump that is the GC Stadium (or Carrara) will be rebuilt or redeveloped instead of building a brand new facility at the proposed Robina site. Not that i'm all that fussed, but I would've thought starting from scratch would bring about a better stadium as well as saving government funds.

The loser that I see in all of this is AFL. My knowledge of the area tells me that the closest oval to the GC is the Gabba in Brisbane. A rectangular Gold Coast Stadium is going to mean that AFL will have no opportunity to expand into the area, unless they pay out massive amounts of money to fund a brand new facility which really wouldn't be worth it.
Not happy at all with the latest developments. The AFL have sat on their fat arses far too long and allowed this to happen. I just hope they can now salvage some kind of deal that ensures Carrara is multi-purpose like Telstra Stadium with retractable seating for rectangular and oval shaped sports.

The Gold Coast City Council Mayor being an AFL man will hopefully assist in making this a reality. Failing that, I fear AFL development on the Gold Coast will be set back at least another decade. :evil:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

crocodileman wrote:
I'm not a prophet of doom who says that the AFL would be buggered if the NRL gets in first. It would be great to see them both on the Gold Coast and may the best code win!
Hopefully that is indeed the case. Time for the AFL to lobby hard now to ensure Carrara remains multi-purpose. That is of course if Robina is not to be the preferred option for the NRL.
MAKAVELI
Team:

Post by MAKAVELI »

Whats the big deal. Let Queensland have their rectangular field.

There is no future for a Gold Coast AFL team, the Lions need all the helps they can get.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Well well well eh. I agree with dizzy's and beaussie. The AFL is doomed on the goldcoast :lol: . Beaussie whats happened to your love of demetriou lately? Looks like i was right (surprise surprise :lol: ), all those statements he made were nothing more than a large volume of methane pouring out of his fat head :lol:

League wins again without having to talk shit. Go league! :D

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

The Gold Coast have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that they cannot sustain an NRL side. How short are peoples' memories in here?

Gotta say, I hope they get a licence and let League fall flat on its face on the Coast again. Then I wonder what excuses people will make for their demise.

The good old Redcliffe Dolphins are already white-anting their bid over the use of the "dolphin" logo! The knives are out and the licence hasn't even been granted yet.

Pretty funny shiite!
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

crocodileman wrote:
The Gold Coast have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that they cannot sustain an NRL side. How short are peoples' memories in here?

Gotta say, I hope they get a licence and let League fall flat on its face on the Coast again. Then I wonder what excuses people will make for their demise.

The good old Redcliffe Dolphins are already white-anting their bid over the use of the "dolphin" logo! The knives are out and the licence hasn't even been granted yet.

Pretty funny shiite!
Actually we do have short memories don't we? How quickly we have forgotten the Gold Coast Chargers, Giants and Seagulls. All dismal failures in the past for the NRL. Perhaps 4th time lucky this time round.

Oh and they've already lost the Dolphins name due to Redcliffe threatening legal action if they proceeded.
MAKAVELI
Team:

Post by MAKAVELI »

Lay off the Gold Coast, it is one of Australia's premier cities and I would love the AFL to have the opportunity the National Rugby do...
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

MAKAVELI wrote:
There is no future for a Gold Coast AFL team, the Lions need all the helps they can get.
MAKAVELI wrote:
Lay off the Gold Coast, it is one of Australia's premier cities and I would love the AFL to have the opportunity the National Rugby do...
Huh? :?

The AFL would have the same opportunity if they bloody well thought more seriously about expansion.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Gold Coast looking the goods!

Post by Beaussie »

Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
Interesting that it seems as though the dump that is the GC Stadium (or Carrara) will be rebuilt or redeveloped instead of building a brand new facility at the proposed Robina site.
It was reported in today's Sunday Telegraph that the Robina site is the preferred option. Looks like the AFL gets to keep Carrara afterall. :D
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

That's excellent news.

Robina is a fantasitc site. Extra parking, a rail line, local businesses, room for expansion ie a Leagues club, etc, etc.

The AFL is now left with that dump at Carrara. Its a nightmare in terms of traffic and possible expansion, and the AFL won't have the luxury of recieving state or even council funding to any decent extent. Good luck to them!
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
The AFL is now left with that dump at Carrara. Its a nightmare in terms of traffic and possible expansion, and the AFL won't have the luxury of recieving state or even council funding to any decent extent. Good luck to them!
What makes you say there will be no state or local government funding?

In any case the Southport Sharks have millions waiting for such developments and I'm sure the AFL, state and local governments would chip in if it means the Gold Coast gets it own AFL team. Oh and don't forget Dizzy's, the Gold Coast City mayor is an AFL man. :wink:
MAKAVELI
Team:

Post by MAKAVELI »

Don't kid yourself Gold Coast is rugby league territory...
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

MAKAVELI wrote:
Don't kid yourself Gold Coast is rugby league territory...
Thats right makaveli! The problem is these afl jerky's cant sleep properly knowing rugby league is liked more in certain highly populated areas of australia. They seem to have this repressed anger which i think is directly linked to afl's pussy rules where if a player even feigns to show some aggression 6 little wankers in white outfits come bolting in blowing whistles and threatening massive fines and suspensions.

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?