Will the NBL Survive?

Whether it be cricket, golf, basketball, tennis, boxing or any other sport - this is the place for you.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Will the NBL Survive?

Post by Beaussie »

Things certainly are not looking good for the NBL with no FTA TV coverage and pitiful crowds. On the positve side of things, the NBL signed up Phillips as its major naming rights sponsor whilst Virgin Blue signed on as the official airline.

That said however, gone are the days when a ticket to the basketball was one of the hottest tickets in town. Moving to a summer season to avoid clashes with the winter footy codes hasn't seemed to help the struggling league either.

I certainly hope the NBL doesn't end up like the former ABL (Australian Baseball League).

Personally I'd like to see the NBL start by giving away their TV rights for nothing. If that gurantees exposure on FTA TV then so be it. The game is seriously struggling without FTA TV coverage and its very survival is now in question.
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

I remember the days travelling down the highway to Newcastle to watch the now extinct Newcaslte Falcons years ago. There was such a buzz at the games those days and it was always a full-house. Gone are the days where I was really into basketball (after the loss of the Falcons), but I do keep a check on the Kings occasionally. Let's hope the NBL can improve, and I'll look forward to maybe catching a game again some day.
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
I remember the days travelling down the highway to Newcastle to watch the now extinct Newcaslte Falcons years ago. There was such a buzz at the games those days and it was always a full-house. Gone are the days where I was really into basketball (after the loss of the Falcons), but I do keep a check on the Kings occasionally. Let's hope the NBL can improve, and I'll look forward to maybe catching a game again some day.
No interest in watching the Hunter Pirates play these days Dizzy?
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

Beaussie wrote:
Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
No interest in watching the Hunter Pirates play these days Dizzy?
lol, the Hunter Pirates. Granted, I hear they are on the improve through news reports, as we get some Newcastle television up our way. I was a little put of to start with as they replaced my beloved Falcons, but in time maybe the Pirates will grow on me. I believe they in the top 5 ATM? If so, that's certainly an improvement on their debut season.

Formerly Uppy80
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
lol, the Hunter Pirates. Granted, I hear they are on the improve through news reports, as we get some Newcastle television up our way. I was a little put of to start with as they replaced my beloved Falcons, but in time maybe the Pirates will grow on me. I believe they in the top 5 ATM? If so, that's certainly an improvement on their debut season.
LOL, I had to check the NBL ladder. Wow Hunter is 5th. :shock:

How silly is the NBL ladder though. Only 11 teams yet a Top 8. :roll:
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

Really? A top 8 with only 11 teams? I didnt realise that. Very strange :shock:

Formerly Uppy80
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
They should forget about the regular season and go straight into a complicated playoff format! :lol:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
Yep, a Top 8 with only 11 teams. :roll:

Gees you'd have to be crap to be one of the 3 that miss the finals. Looks like West Sydney will be one of them though. :lol: