2015 - NRL - Rugby League Crowds and TV Ratings

NRL, State of Origin and International football TV ratings and discussion.
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Fight Club: 2015 Rugby League Crowds and TV Ratings

Post by pussycat »

The_Wookie wrote:
mediaweek today specifically released the top 20 AFL games - including their regional figures.
http://www.mediaweek.com.au/afl-tv-rati ... s-games-2/

Input that data and while the NRL occupies the top 4 places with rep fixtures, the AFL occupies 24 of the next 32 games that reach 4 figures. Lets see that shit on Rugby league ratings twitter.

Those figures don't show Friday night live matches which makes up about 2/3 of our highest rating FTA matches. Yet you include FTA and PTV together in yours.
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

The_Wookie wrote:
Actually this shows the data per match, not the result of the two games for the price of one broadcast that is most weeks. This is literally every game that rated over 1,000. Not every broadcast slot, where an AFL broadcast can concievably have 4 different games. And as long as you count NZ and christ knows what else, Ill count pay tv - its all part of our deal. The benefits of simulcasting, one might say. On a per match basis, most friday night games fall between 900-990k in total, and that must really suck for you.

We arent excluding ratings just because they arent fair to league - why would we after the almighty whinging we put up with every time someone fails to mention your precious regionals.

Live Friday night matches are part of the tv contract also. And there are quiet a few - including Rd 10 where there's over 1.2m.

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

What It is an attempt to make the AFL look less pathetic than they actually are by restricting rugby league to about 20 matches in total, outside of the Sunday match.

pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

The_Wookie wrote:
No, its precisely what I said it was. These are the ratings per match. Not per broadcast timeslot. If we did it that way for the AFL, the AFl average would be a lot higher than it is too, but nooooo this shit only works for Rugby league doesnt it you hypocritical bullshit artist.

For years you have consistently ignored the AFL regionals - even though they are about 35% of the metro total again - and you try to exclude the simulcast ratings, while at the same time including your own new zealand ratings and regionals, and then tell me Im biased? Fuck off.

I think you've got it backwards. For Years the 'AFL side of the fence' have been trying to ignore regionals - sticking there head in the sand and pretending they didn't exist. And .why>? because it proves there not the most popular football code.While on the other side of the fence, league fans have been pointing out that they work out around 66% for the NRL and 33% for the AFL. And Why in the fuck would anyone be having a go at you for showing regionals????? the problem is this is a very bias chart (cherry picking, using your words) limiting the NRL to about 30% of its best rating matches.

pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

The_Wookie wrote:
You STILL ignore AFL regionals.

ts not biased at all - its accurate on a per actual match played basis. Its that fucking simple. No ones ratings have gone missing. the total is still the same.
How or when have I ever ignored AFL regionals, or any other NRL supporters for that matter?? As a general rule of thumb they get a third, something I have often said and never shied away from.

I''m not questioning the lists accuracy. But in ruling out all but half-a-dozen Friday nights matches it is bias and very slanted towards the AFL- in an obvious attempt to paint them in a better light.

leagueiscrap
Banned
Team: Essendon
Been liked: 7 times

Post by leagueiscrap »

pussycat wrote:
The_Wookie wrote:
Actually this shows the data per match, not the result of the two games for the price of one broadcast that is most weeks. This is literally every game that rated over 1,000. Not every broadcast slot, where an AFL broadcast can concievably have 4 different games. And as long as you count NZ and christ knows what else, Ill count pay tv - its all part of our deal. The benefits of simulcasting, one might say. On a per match basis, most friday night games fall between 900-990k in total, and that must really suck for you.

We arent excluding ratings just because they arent fair to league - why would we after the almighty whinging we put up with every time someone fails to mention your precious regionals.

Live Friday night matches are part of the tv contract also. And there are quiet a few - including Rd 10 where there's over 1.2m.
But but but but :)))
It's all lies lies!

Suck shit pissycat nrlol number 2:thumbleft:
Australian sporting sponsorship
AFL excess of $50m
A league $30 million plus
ARU $27 million
NRLOL $25 million

Leagueiscrap
and she still changes your nappies as well!
pusseycat replys
Only when I have an accident.
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

#NRLBroncosRoosters Nine 1011(537, 474) GEM 95 (65k,11,19k) Sky NZ 73k

pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

Pretty poor effort from our Sydney teams. Gem regionals would have gave us a win last Friday though.

BrisMatt
Team:
Been liked: 0

Post by BrisMatt »

Hi there this is my first time posting and I would like to make a comment on the spreadsheet on the first page (up to round 16) from an NRL point of view.

1.NRL averages 34,000 per game in Melb, Perth and Adelaide where there is 1 NRL team. AFL averaged 50,000 in Sydney and Brisbane where there is 4 teams (Lions, Suns, Swans, Giants). This really stood out to me.
2. NRL currently only has 3 games per week that are available to the whole population, the remaining 5 are only available to the lucky 25% of the population that have foxtel as opposed to AFL's FTA for every game.
3. The regional audience of QLD & NSW is 5,409,000 vs 2,259700 for VIC,SA,WA, TAS according to OZ Regional hence more free to air games such as in the new TV deal will mean far greater audiences.
4. AFL free to air ratings are poor compared with NRL because they broadcast almost every game and hence they get SOME FTA viewership compared with NRL which broadcasts 5 of their games strictly to a select paid audience.
5. Once NRL switches to 4 FTA games per week (channel 9) you will see their averages rise considerably
6. Once the broadcast deal is sorted regarding the remain 5 games on NRL, if some of the games end up on free to air (Channel 10 perhaps) averages per game could greatly increase for NRL and this could be Dave's Smith's plan.
7. There seems to be only 116 games that have TV audiences listed no 118.
8. Why aren't the rep games part of the averages? they are the NRL show pieces. Is it because the AFL doesn't have AFL rep matches? when people are watching State of Origin or Aus V NZ they are watching NRL with NRL rules and NRL players and the league games of those weeks suffer as a result.
9. I doubt very much AFL is more popular, infact it isn't when you include REP games, however it's numbers are greatly boosted by the availability of its broadcasts not because of its popularity.
Regards
Matt
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

BrisMatt wrote:
Hi there this is my first time posting and I would like to make a comment on the spreadsheet on the first page (up to round 16) from an NRL point of view.

1.NRL averages 34,000 per game in Melb, Perth and Adelaide where there is 1 NRL team. AFL averaged 50,000 in Sydney and Brisbane where there is 4 teams (Lions, Suns, Swans, Giants). This really stood out to me.
2. NRL currently only has 3 games per week that are available to the whole population, the remaining 5 are only available to the lucky 25% of the population that have foxtel as opposed to AFL's FTA for every game.
3. The regional audience of QLD & NSW is 5,409,000 vs 2,259700 for VIC,SA,WA, TAS according to OZ Regional hence more free to air games such as in the new TV deal will mean far greater audiences.
4. AFL free to air ratings are poor compared with NRL because they broadcast almost every game and hence they get SOME FTA viewership compared with NRL which broadcasts 5 of their games strictly to a select paid audience.
5. Once NRL switches to 4 FTA games per week (channel 9) you will see their averages rise considerably
6. Once the broadcast deal is sorted regarding the remain 5 games on NRL, if some of the games end up on free to air (Channel 10 perhaps) averages per game could greatly increase for NRL and this could be Dave's Smith's plan.
8. Why aren't the rep games part of the averages? they are the NRL show pieces. Is it because the AFL doesn't have AFL rep matches? when people are watching State of Origin or Aus V NZ they are watching NRL with NRL rules and NRL players and the league games of those weeks suffer as a result.
9. I doubt very much AFL is more popular, infact it isn't when you include REP games, however it's numbers are greatly boosted by the availability of its broadcasts not because of its popularity.
Regards
Matt

Well Said Matt.

some very valid points. Trying to get that through to XMAN and Leagueiscrap is near to impossible.. they don't understand..

as they live in the bubble (Melbourne)

NRL IS only at 40% capacity
eelofwest
Coach
Coach
Team: Eels

Post by eelofwest »

BrisMatt wrote:

Regards
Matt

Mate welcome to the forum.

Great post and i have been saying this for quite some time on here.

Once the NRL gets + 4 live FTA games the NRL ratings will dwarf the AFL.

Now add in simulcasting and the gap grows even more.

AFL is down close to %9 in total ratings this year alone.

NRL is up %5 this year in total.

When the new TV deal comes in the NRL accumulated ratings will be huge.

Unfortunately Brismat there is a couple of ******** AFL fans on this forum that cannot see the writing on the wall.
eelofwest
Coach
Coach

Post by eelofwest »

The_Wookie wrote:
looks like the leaguies could pull one off finally - although WA/Tas regionals will easily account for it.

Channel 7's share price continues to fall.

Not surprising seeing as its main code rates like shit on FTA hey wook..... :_<> :_<> :lol:
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

The_Wookie wrote:
Its not part of the NRl matches because strictly speaking they arent run by the NRl, and arent part of the NRL home and away/finals season - it even has a different sponsor for the competition. They are run by the ARLC, NSWRL and QRL and are separate representative fixtures that feature NRL playing talent. The same also goes for test matches which are run by the ARLC.

Representative fixtures are however, included in the full season tally and average, just like the AFL preseason competition, Auckland Nines, Charity Shield, Internatiional Rules and everything else. That will be done next week.

AFL FTA to air ratings are relativelty poor because we measure them on a flat match to ratings basis, and we dont show the same game across the entire country. the NRL does with all its fictures, on the other hand, the AFL guarantees local coverage, no matter how small the team is in NSW and QLD. The Storm would love more than a game a year on FTA during the season - and if it was only shown in Melbounre, the average NRL game would decrease. That said the average AFL game will outrate an average NRL game when all figures are considered, including regionals for AFL games which are rarely released.

Once the NRL moves to one game on a Friday, that average will be lower - we've already seen that this season. You cant take advantage of two different cities different demographics unless you are can find a way to make it a Queensland side v a NSW side every Friday night. That live broadcast takes a hit.

Oh and the front page table is out of date, there were some issues in calculation, and that was addressed some weeks ago. Not all data is made publicly available, and this is the best I have to work with.

There may be a few technical difference, but there all rugby league matches and there all under the control of the ARLC.

On what do you base that AFL games rate better than NRL??? ? its totally untrue , ie its total bullshit. Your ratings are inflated not only by showing matches into there own markets but also by not showing the lower ranking sides in the best timeslots.

I'm not so sure you will find as bigger drop off when, 4 games are shown live as you might think,. Most of our stand alone games were shown at the back end of the season played during the ashes at . You mind find your averages might fall when they no longer have a free hit of a Saturday night.

pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

What figures? the slanted bias ones you showed earlier? Pre origin we won the vast majority of matches. During the Origin period we miss out on the top 34 players, we have already witnessed what basket cases the Swans are without there best player.

50 - 60 -70 -150k , hardly the type of figures no one gives a shit about. And they get bigger every year.

The Dally M's are hardly a big thing in league , We don't need to have pretend rep teams or "All Australia" sides, we already have the real thing.

eelofwest
Coach
Coach

Post by eelofwest »

The_Wookie wrote:
Incidentally did you see the ratings for the Dally M v the Brownlow medal? Not only did the AFL outrate the NRL on Fox by 29k, but Seven then went and added another million or so
Your bragging about awards night ratings.. :_<> :lol:

AFL down %9 total ratings in 2015
Australia-wide, taking in telecasts on both the free-to-air Seven network and pay television's Fox Footy, numbers are down by nine per cent.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/a ... z3n7P8Kiwk
NRL up %5.
The NRL pointed to figures from OzTAM - Australia's official television audience measurement data company - that showed following 13 rounds of free to air metropolitan TV that audiences were up five per cent on the same period last year.

That included a 10 per cent bump in Sydney and 17 per cent jump in Melbourne.
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8996863

Ill take this scenario over some Awards nights ratings any day of the week.

I rest my case champ.. =D>