Anzac Day Footy On Your TV

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Anzac Day Footy On Your TV

Post by Beaussie »

No not NRL, but rather the AFL with Essendon v Collingwood on the so-called official NRL channel. Looks like the NRL isn't too popular even in its so called heartlands:

Time
2:00 pm
Channel Nine Sydney

Program
Anzac Day AFL - Collingwood V Essendon (180 mins )
Genre: Sport

http://tvguide.ninemsn.com.au/guide/250 ... =25/4/2005

Time
2:00 pm
Channel Nine Brisbane Metro

Program

And what's this, Darwin. Didn't they just change their programing preferring the NRL? Where is the Roosters v Dragons game?

Time
1:30 pm
Channel Nine Darwin

Program
MAKAVELI
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by MAKAVELI »

Isn't the St George v Easts on cable? It would be an issue between fox and 9. Not anything to do with popularity of rugby.

Rugby is very popular in NSW and QLD and if their game was on FTA on Monday it would devastate the AFL one, (In Sydney and Brisbane) while AFL games receive....well....very very average ratings.

:?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

MAKAVELI wrote:
Isn't the St George v Easts on cable?
Not sure about that, but surely it is not good for the NRL when the AFL has first preference on Channel 9 in the NRL's so called heartlands.
MAKAVELI wrote:
Rugby is very popular in NSW and QLD and if their game was on FTA on Monday it would devastate the AFL one, (In Sydney and Brisbane) while AFL games receive....well....very very average ratings.
I guess we wont know as the NRL is NOT on. :lol:
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

You're right MAKAVELI, it is on Fox. Due to contractual restrictions, Nine cannot show the match. That decision was made about 8 years ago unfortunately.

But Rugby League had it's ANZAC tradition played out last night in the annual one off Test in Brisbane.
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

Beaussie wrote:
MAKAVELI wrote:
The NRL wasn't on TV last Saturday night and Sunday afternoon either Beaussie. Yet look how AFL rated in Brisbane:

Geelong -vs- Essondon: 64,000
Sydney -vs- Adelaide: 63,000

NRL or not it looks like it still doesn't rate, backing up MAKAVELI's thoughts.
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Thats right beaussie. You just listen to Dizzy's and sit in that corner. Dont talk or open your mouth.....just listen to Dizzy's :lol:

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
Beaussie wrote:
MAKAVELI wrote:
The NRL wasn't on TV last Saturday night and Sunday afternoon either Beaussie. Yet look how AFL rated in Brisbane:

Geelong -vs- Essondon: 64,000
Sydney -vs- Adelaide: 63,000

NRL or not it looks like it still doesn't rate, backing up MAKAVELI's thoughts.
Geelong flogged Essendon would go some way to explaining those figures and let's not forget where you got those figures. Barry Dick from the Courier Mail I assume.

We all know how credible he is when he twists the figures to make NRL look good. Fair dinkum he takes the lowest figure for the 3hr AFL telecast whilst at the same time present the highest peak for the NRL. :roll:

Sydney v Adelaide was an early start as well. How many footy fans are at home watching the TV at 1pm?
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

:lol:

Beaussie you should of listened to me. That post was such a sissy whine it hurt my ears. Face facts beaussie, you're wrong and dizzy's is write. :D

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

King-Eliagh wrote:
:lol:

Beaussie you should of listened to me. That post was such a sissy whine it hurt my ears. Face facts beaussie, you're wrong and dizzy's is write. :D
Write? :roll:

This thread was merely pointing out that the AFL is the game Australians will be watching on Anzac Day. I suppose it's only natural considering the AFL has Australia wide appeal whilst the NRL is still nothing more than a provincial competition played in minor pockets of Australia. Look at the big picture my friend. :wink: