NRL shift away from suburban grounds

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
leagueiscrap
Banned
Team: Essendon
Been liked: 7 times

NRL shift away from suburban grounds

Post by leagueiscrap »

A SHIFT away from suburban grounds could cruel the most effective weapon of several Sydney clubs — some of whom win twice as many games at their boutique oval as anywhere else.

The issue of NRL suburban grounds is again in the headlines after the State government on Sunday suggested they would no longer fund iconic league venues like Shark Park and Leichhardt Oval.

Instead, sports minister Stuart Ayres said all future spending would be pumped into major venues such as ANZ and Allianz stadiums.

However, The Daily Telegraph can reveal many of the six clubs still playing out of suburban grounds — Wests Tigers, Parramatta, St George Illawarra, Cronulla, Manly and Penrith — enjoy far superior records at their less than salubrious homes.

In fact, while the Eels have only won 19 per cent of games away from home in the past five years, the number skyrockets to 49 per cent at Pirtek Stadium.

Manly, win 73 per cent of games at Brookvale Oval — compared to 57 per cent elsewhere — while Wests Tigers enjoy a strong record of almost 70 per cent at Leichhardt Oval and Campbelltown Stadium. Elsewhere, that figure drops to 40 per cent.

With more than 17,000 fans watching Cronulla play Newcastle at Remondis Stadium on Sunday, Sharks CEO Steve Noyce insisted such grounds should play a part in league’s future.

He suggested that while Sydney clubs closer to the major stadiums, such as the Roosters and Canterbury, could focus on making the switch, clubs like his own had to “have a place in the community where they could welcome fans”.

“There has to be a place for these (suburban) grounds,’’ Noyce said. “I appreciate the NRL is working on a new stadium policy but, right now, Remondis Stadium is definitely where we want to be playing for the next few years.

“I know it was the same when I was at Wests Tigers, with Leichhardt Oval, and you saw last weekend ... again that the hill was packed.

“I understand there are commercial issues but for clubs like Penrith, Manly and ourselves, our main concern right now is encouraging more people to the home grounds that we have.”

According to Fox Sports Statistics, the Sharkies have triumphed in 47 per cent of games at home over the past five years, compared to only 33 per cent elsewhere.

Arch rivals the Dragons boast a success rate of 67 per cent at their spiritual home, Jubilee Oval, Kogarah — and only 43 per cent elsewhere.

“When you and I were kids, our parents took us to games and running on the field at full-time, grabbing a cornerpost was a real thrill,’’ Noyce continued. “People say kids change but only if you change the opportunities and experiences they have.

about time NSW caught up with the rest of the Country, instead of just throwing money away, funding crappy shit box grounds, they have decided to change their funding model start being accountable!

even better the thought of more NRL games being played in large stadiums with 12k sized crowds more often:lol:
Australian sporting sponsorship
AFL excess of $50m
A league $30 million plus
ARU $27 million
NRLOL $25 million

Leagueiscrap
and she still changes your nappies as well!
pusseycat replys
Only when I have an accident.