Been liked: 51 times

Wendell Sailor Wants to Play Rugby League

Post by Beaussie »

Fox Sports wrote:
Wendell wants out
By Adam Hawse
April 10, 2005
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,86 ... 18,00.html

WENDELL Sailor will meet with long-time mentor Wayne Bennett on his return from South Africa to discuss a possible return to rugby league as the walls continue to crumble at the under-siege Queensland Reds.

Future ... Wendell is thinking about his. Pic: Megan Slade

Sailor is looking to rejuvenate his career with a fresh start, and is also toying with the idea of a shift to the NSW Waratahs, at a time when the Reds are in crisis with up to eight of this year's squad leaving at the end of this season.

The Reds have been rocked by the shock departure of star forward Nathan Sharpe to the new Perth franchise this week, and former Queensland greats admit they fear what the future holds for the Reds should a mass exodus follow Sharpe out of Ballymore.

While Bennett doubts rugby league has the money to lure Sailor back from rugby, a source close to the Broncos said the club has not ruled out an offer.

With the Queensland Reds crumbling around him, the Waratahs look a more likely option for Sailor, and NSW coach Ewen McKenzie said he would be "foolish" not to try to sign the dual international.

Sailor is frustrated by his limited opportunities at the Reds and spoke out last weekend in the The Sunday Mail, after escaping a charge of tripping at the judiciary.

While he declined to talk about where he would be playing next year, the off-contract Sailor did confirm he would meet Bennett when the Reds' returned from their two-game tour of South Africa.

Speaking from Durban ahead of the game last night with the Stormers, Sailor said he was keen to have a chat with Bennett.

"I want his point of view," Sailor said. "Even after the last World Cup I was shattered that we lost and that I hadn't played my best footy and he gave me advice on where I was at.

"From a friend's point of view, I'm just going to have another talk. Last week I was disappointed in myself and he asked about it. I said that was my frustration coming out.

"I just don't know how to get the best out of myself.

"He said 'when you come back give me a call and we'll go to lunch. I'll have a chat to you and I'll tell you my point of view'."

Sailor, 30, again expressed his displeasure at not seeing more action for the Reds.

"I just feel after games I'm not sore like I was after a league game," he said. "I was always sore after a league game and I liked that feeling.

"I just feel like sometimes I walk off the field and I haven't done much because, one, I haven't scored any tries; and two, I haven't had the ball in my hands."

As speculation grew late yesterday of the Broncos making a bid for Sailor, Bennett said his club couldn't afford him.

"He won't be coming back to rugby league - he's earning too much in rugby union," Bennett said.

But The Sunday Mail understands the Broncos have already started negotiations with Sailor's financial management, trying to work out how to structure a salary package that will allow them to compete with rugby's money, but at the same time keep them under the $3.25 million salary cap.

Internal woes at the Reds under coach Jeff Miller are not helping their chances of retaining Sailor.

Last week Elton Flatley resigned as captain, as did his successor Nathan Sharpe when he informed the Reds he had signed with the new Perth franchise.

Former Test winger Ben Tune will be the next Red to walk after also agreeing to join Perth.

The Waratahs will up the ante for Sailor when he returns from South Africa.

"I haven't spoken to Wendell, but I have to say in the current climate there's obviously a lot of players coming off contract and it would be foolish not to look at all the options," McKenzie said.

"Teams signing other players has an impact on the market and who's available, so I don't think any of the coaches at the moment would say never to anyone."
So when things get tough for the Reds, Wendall wants to leave the team and go back to rugby league. :roll:
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Looks to me like Big Dell should either be in the centres or play a 'tougher' sport ie League :D

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Grim Reaper
Coach
Coach
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Grim Reaper »

The wanker should be kicked out and a Police investigation take place. Is it not a criminal offence to be in possesion of cocaine?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Grim Reaper wrote:
Is it not a criminal offence to be in possesion of cocaine?
I was wondering to myself the very same thing.
Willis 21
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by Willis 21 »

If he was playing AFL, no one would know about the failed drugs test.... :|

Some of the AFL bogans have failed the test for illegal recreational drugs twice!!!

Absolutely weak as pis boys...
Grim Reaper
Coach
Coach
Team:
Has thanked: 0

Post by Grim Reaper »

Yep I agree...I reckon those Fremantle Duckeys are on someting....they have to be as they keep winning!